Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

I think it's important to make a distinction between teams like East Kilbride or BSC Glasgow and teams like Edusport.

EK and BSC are both new clubs, but they were set up to represent a community. Edusport are a club set up with no real sense of place or identity who, by their founder's own admission, are purely a money making scheme.

I don't actually think it is important to make these distinctions. Trying to assess the extent to which a football team has a sense of place or identity doesn't seem like the best use of one's time. I suspect a team that has neither would not be around long term, but as long as they have a place to play and a team on the park, they're welcome to have a go as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think it's important to make a distinction between teams like East Kilbride or BSC Glasgow and teams like Edusport.

EK and BSC are both new clubs, but they were set up to represent a community. Edusport are a club set up with no real sense of place or identity who, by their founder's own admission, are purely a money making scheme.

Are they any different to Stirling UNi or heriot watt or edinburgh uni in that regards. they take money to educate people and have them in a football team in the pyramid?

2 hours ago, bendan said:

I don't actually think it is important to make these distinctions. Trying to assess the extent to which a football team has a sense of place or identity doesn't seem like the best use of one's time. I suspect a team that has neither would not be around long term, but as long as they have a place to play and a team on the park, they're welcome to have a go as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say at any point that they didn't have a right to exist as a club or to play at this level. I'm just outlining why more people might dislike them compared to the likes of East Kilbride.

43 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Are they any different to Stirling UNi or heriot watt or edinburgh uni in that regards. they take money to educate people and have them in a football team in the pyramid?

I was more talking about the "MyFootballClub" stuff, but yes I think they are different. Those are degree awarding universities which happen to have a football team for their students (though non-students can also play in the LL/EoS teams). Edusport are a private entity which exists essentially as a football agency running a club.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I didn't say at any point that they didn't have a right to exist as a club or to play at this level. I'm just outlining why more people might dislike them compared to the likes of East Kilbride.

I was more talking about the "MyFootballClub" stuff, but yes I think they are different. Those are degree awarding universities which happen to have a football team for their students (though non-students can also play in the LL/EoS teams). Edusport are a private entity which exists essentially as a football agency running a club.

They are education just because its not traditional everyones scared of it. Anything new and people don't like it.

Sometimes it's OK not to like particular non-traditional things. Moving the Scottish Cup final to a Monday night would be a change to tradition, and would also be a terrible idea.

I don't see anything new about the Edusport model though - there are lots of private education companies around the world covering a range of areas. The only difference is that this one is geared around football.

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

They are education just because its not traditional everyones scared of it. Anything new and people don't like it.

Sorry thats shite.

Other clubs in the league have volunteers and committees trying to keep clubs running and grounds in goof order and investing in their community and this travelling circus pitch up their tent on the park and run their business from there.

I have no issue with EK and whilst the BSC situation wasnt ideal i apprciate it wouldnt have been their first option either so good luck to them both.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Sometimes it's OK not to like particular non-traditional things. Moving the Scottish Cup final to a Monday night would be a change to tradition, and would also be a terrible idea.

I don't see anything new about the Edusport model though - there are lots of private education companies around the world covering a range of areas. The only difference is that this one is geared around football.

Exactly, and this is why I don't see Edusport as much different from the Uni teams. They are offering education & combine it with a football team. At least Edusport are now trying to build links with the local community where they are going to play.

22 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Sorry thats shite.

Other clubs in the league have volunteers and committees trying to keep clubs running and grounds in goof order and investing in their community and this travelling circus pitch up their tent on the park and run their business from there.

I have no issue with EK and whilst the BSC situation wasnt ideal i apprciate it wouldnt have been their first option either so good luck to them both.

You don't know that they aren;'t going to try and build links with this being their base. This was where they wanted to set up but had to go to Annan

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Can you quote me where the owner has said this coz I’m telling you that is the biggest pile of nonsense I’ve ever heard

4 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

You don't know that they aren;'t going to try and build links with this being their base. This was where they wanted to set up but had to go to Annan

As ive already said i hope they hang around and do that and the best of luck to them but the entity that was originally allowed in made a mockery of the league.

As ive already said i hope they hang around and do that and the best of luck to them but the entity that was originally allowed in made a mockery of the league.

Have you looked at the SoS league? They were hardly out of place there(as they proved, by winning it.)

While I don't 100% agree with their business model up to this point, I hope they can put down roots in Strathie and build up a bit of a following. I don't really have an issue with new teams coming in and splashing the cash, as long as it's sustainable and benefits the local community and the fanbase (ie. not Gretna). If there is a bit of separation between the two teams (Caley Braves as the seniors in the LL, and Edusport with the students in SOSL), then there is even less reason to moan about them, in my opinion anyway.

I did email them about the £25 season ticket on Monday, for the odd weekend where County are at home and I can't make it back up north, but they've not messaged me back yet.

On 03/07/2019 at 12:43, Gordon EF said:

List of Hurricanes' opponents

Great cartoon, and Caledonian Braves do sound like they could be a Hurricanes opponent, but almost all those team names tell you their location.

I love the AC/DC Milan pun there by the way! Bayern Munchhausen is a belter aswell!