Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

19 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

So it's been pointed out in the Berwick Rangers thread that the Glasgow United plan has been scrapped.

This was from the 15th April and the deadline to vote was noted as tomorrow (April 16th), so presumably we'll find out the new name soon. The choices listed in the video are:
  1. Alliance FC
  2. Black Falcons
  3. Caledonian Braves
  4. Copa FC
  5. Edusport Eagles
  6. Edusport Pheonix*
  7. FC Tribe
  8. FC Spero
  9. Pheonix FC*
  10. Lanarkshire Lynx
  11. Mondial FC
  12. Sporting Union FC
  13. FC Venom

Not sure if there was also a write in option, but i'm guessing that's how they got come of those names in the first place.

*That's how the video spells Phoenix.

tenor.gif

21 hours ago, Spyro said:

As horrific as they all sound to us, the old skool, we have all had our doubts (digs) at their lack of support and presence as a club. So why not go for a cheesy/catchy name to attract new support, even if it is all just a marketing gimmick...as long as it puts a few bums on seats, extra pennies and a sense of belonging for them.

It might all go tits up, but don’t knock them for doing something different, they might be on to something!

Is it really something different or new though. Clubs across various sports and tried things like this numerous times. English rugby league for example. Is there any evidence that Americanised names or badges etc has any positive effect on crowds?

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Is it really something different or new though. Clubs across various sports and tried things like this numerous times. English rugby league for example. Is there any evidence that Americanised names or badges etc has any positive effect on crowds?

Not in Scottish football, but they can try... I’ll try not to be offended :rolleyes:

It has been done a few times in Scottish football: though to call upon a wider geographic area and not in the "American" fashion. East Stirlingshire were originally Bainsford Britannia. Ferranti Thistle became Meadowbank Thistle. There'll be others.

A more recent and (consciously) comical example in the Amateurs is the ex-works side McVitties United. After the company and factory were bought out they became United Biscuits United.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It has been done a few times in Scottish football: though to call upon a wider geographic area and not in the "American" fashion. East Stirlingshire were originally Bainsford Britannia. Ferranti Thistle became Meadowbank Thistle. Leith Athletic became Leith then switched back. There'll be others.

A more recent and (consciously) comical example in the Amateurs is the ex-works side McVitties United. After the company and factory were bought out they became United Biscuits United.

The only overtly 'Americanisation' I can think of in Scottish football is Alloa's badge that they ripped off of some American college sports team. Apart from a fairly low ripple of ridicule, I can't imagine it's done much for them. I doubt their recent success can be tied to that.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It has been done a few times in Scottish football: though to call upon a wider geographic area and not in the "American" fashion. East Stirlingshire were originally Bainsford Britannia. Ferranti Thistle became Meadowbank Thistle. There'll be others.

Surely Hob Nob Thistle would have rolled off the tongue a lot easier?

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The only overtly 'Americanisation' I can think of in Scottish football is Alloa's badge that they ripped off of some American college sports team. Apart from a fairly low ripple of ridicule, I can't imagine it's done much for them. I doubt their recent success can be tied to that.

Stirling Albion looked at becoming "Stirling Meerkats" under a sponsorship deal but SFL discouraged it as unseemly, IIRC.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Stirling Albion looked at becoming "Stirling Meerkats" under a sponsorship deal but SFL discouraged it as unseemly, IIRC.

I believe the request was thrown straight in the litter tray..........

Tendency has been to retain names.

Raith has never included Kirkcaldy though Morton added Greenock in 1990s. Clyde stuck with the river and eschewed Cumbernauld. Partick didn't become Maryhill Thistle.

Hamilton Academical, Forres Mechanics, Inverurie Loco Works, Wick Academy, Burntisland Shipyard, Dumfries YMCA, etc. etc. have all kept their suffixes.

Edited by HibeeJibee

33 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tendency has been to retain names.

Raith has never included Kirkcaldy though Morton added Greenock in 1990s. Clyde stuck with the river and eschewed Cumbernauld. Partick didn't become Maryhill Thistle.

Hamilton Academical, Forres Mechanics, Inverurie Loco Works, Wick Academy, Burntisland Shipyard, Dumfries YMCA, etc. etc. have all kept their suffixes.

And you'll recall Burntisland kept Amateur in their name for a few years after joining EoS as well.

http://burntislandshipyard.co.uk/other-news/shipyard-name-change-approved/

20 hours ago, Spyro said:

From the Berwick thread...

“Although they're going to be at Bothwellhaugh Park, they could be inspired by nearby Chatelherault in tribute to their origins!”

On this subject, does anyone actually know who the last team to play at Bothwellhaugh? There is a “football ground” marked in old maps but no mention of who...

I'm thinking maybe the Palace Colliery team... maybe Bellshill at some point (Douglas Park?)

Had a look in the big excel club list that is elsewhere online and can see no mention but I have no idea what the ground itself was called so may take someone with more knowledge of Lanarkshire football here.  I know the 'Strathie' replaced the village of Bothwellhaugh, so interesting to see where the ground / pitch was - right outside the front door of M&Ds!

9rlik9.png