Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

As covered above they have 2 campuses... one based in Glasgow training out of Lesser Hampden and living at Glasgow Caledonian Uni, the other based in Edinburgh training out of Spartans and living at Telford College. Their 'senior' team play in the SOSL out of Galabank but they will be champions and - by the look of it - promoted to LL if they draw at home to St Cuthbert Wanderers tomorrow. Originally they played out of Hamilton Palace. Their U20s already play in the Lowland & EOS U20s League, out of Spartans.

Fundamental core of it is geared toward young Frenchmen with the combination of football training and English language tuition. According to their website fees are £16,000 for next season. Their don't have a womens team - females play for Spartans Ladies.

However I don't suppose you have to be French to participate and they also use a number of Scottish players and some loanees in presumably to 'stiffen' the side. They also loan players out to other clubs spread right across SPFL (mainly lower-level Development League sides), LL, EOSL and Juniors.

On the pitch they are certainly no mugs. Here are their basic achievements since joining SOSL for 2014-15:

2014-15
* finished 5th in SOSL. They dropped 11pts at home (all in Jul-Sep) and 20pts away (8 in Jul-Sep)
* reached QF of South Challenge Cup, losing 2-1 at Whitehill aet
* won SOS League Cup; lost finals of Cree Lodge and Tweedie cups; reached SF of Potts Cup

2015-16
* finished 2nd in SOSL. They dropped 11pts at home (3 in Jul-Sep) and 4pts away (2 in Jul-Sep)
* reached SF of South Challenge Cup, losing 2-0 at home to Edinburgh City, having beaten Dalbeattie and Civil Service Strollers en route
* won SOS League Cup and Tweedie Cup; reached SFs of Southern Counties Cup (having beaten Threave en route)
(U20s)
* finished 4th in Lowland & EOS U20s League
* reached R3 of Scottish Youth Cup, having beaten Dumbarton en route
* reached SFs of LL-EOS U20s Knockout Cup

2016-17
* currently 1st in SOSL with 1 game left. They've a 100% record at home and dropped 10pts away (4 in Jul-Sep) - won every league game since October
* lost to Colville Park after replay in Scottish Cup PR1; reached Last 16 of South Challenge Cup
* reached SFs of Haig Gordon and Cree Lodge cups
(U20s)
* currently bottom of Lowland & EOS U20s League with 4 games left.
* reached R3 of Scottish Youth Cup, having beaten Alloa en route
* reached SFs of LL-EOS U20s League Cup

Edited by HibeeJibee

My problem with EDU is they play different teams according to the op position in order to fulfil their obligation to their paying "students" Not illegal but not football as we know it.

Good luck with them Lowland League!

On 4/19/2017 at 14:19, Ivo den Bieman said:

Yeop Edusport Academy in the 5th tier doesn't sit particularly comfortably with me either but they are playing within the rules and seem to be the only team from SoSFL that actually want promotion, so what can be done?

just have to see how it goes.

My main issue with them is simply that they have no recognised hometown.  Their name has nothing to do with any town either.  Therefore, they really have no chance of ever building any support.  The concept seems quite interesting actually (whether or not that concept is suitable for the Lowland League and potentially promotion to the SPFL is another matter for debate).

The way the system is right now, they should be promoted and it's better that they come up than other South of Scotland League clubs which are allegedly desperate to avoid promotion.  Also, I think it's important to have the weaker Lowland League teams relegated as well.  Very important to have regular movement between the leagues and have the teams finishing bottom relegated.

It will be interesting to see how they perform.  I wonder what the reaction would be like in the future if they were ever to be promoted to League Two?  That could get very interesting...

Edited by stanley

The fact that this "club" can get to the 5th level of Scottish fitba shows the deep flaws with the licensing system, it makes a mockery of it and the half arsed Pyramid.

As long as you tick all these boxes on a form, no need to worry too much about actually being a proper football club within a community. This also applies to BSC. It's typical SFA.

Edited by Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

The fact that this "club" can get to the 5th level of Scottish fitba shows the deep flaws with the licensing system, it makes a mockery of it and the half arsed Pyramid.

As long as you tick all these boxes on a form, no need to worry too much about actually being a proper football club within a community. This also applies to BSC. It's typical SFA.

What qualifies you as "proper football club"?

I'll tell you about the game, Bsc pumped a right poor whitehill team for the second time this season because Bsc have better players not because they play in Alloa, not because they don't have a big fan base, because they are better than whitehill welfare

1 minute ago, bpek said:

I'll tell you about the game, Bsc pumped a right poor whitehill team for the second time this season because Bsc have better players not because they play in Alloa, not because they don't have a big fan base, because they are better than whitehill welfare

A bit of topic but is there any progress on BSC getting a ground back in the city?

5 minutes ago, bpek said:

Your argument is wi Burnie Man & others then, leave Whitehill oot o this :lol:

Edited by The Mantis