Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

What is the view on Edusport possibly playing in the LL next season? I realise they are a licensed club, but what do they bring to the Scottish game? No chance for Scottish players, no development of local talent. I understand their business model, and fair play to them, but they don't add anything in my opinion.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa
Team has changed its name

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's not true to say 'no Scots' - they have a number of home-based players in their squad and have also taken youngsters on loan from Stirling Albion.

Apologies, I missed that re home based players?   How does that work given their business model of having boys pay to come over here?

Would the team not rather play their home games in Glasgow, where they train?

As far as I was aware they only played at Galabank to stop SoS teams complaining about travelling. If they weren't in the SoS, it would be much easier to be based nearer to the central belt. 

7 minutes ago, est2014 said:

Would the team not rather play their home games in Glasgow, where they train?

As far as I was aware they only played at Galabank to stop SoS teams complaining about travelling. If they weren't in the SoS, it would be much easier to be based nearer to the central belt. 

Their 20s play at Spartans so wouldn't be a surprise if they moved away from Galabank. 

Would expect them to move to a licensed ground in the central belt when they go up this weekend. 

We played them at home in a cup a couple of years ago and it was pretty tough game. Their 20 odd squad members who haven't made the match squad help to boost the crowd if not the coffers. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Their 20s play at Spartans so wouldn't be a surprise if they moved away from Galabank. 

Wouldn't imagine Spartans could accommodate their first team though as Edinburgh City will already be sharing next season.

2 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Wouldn't imagine Spartans could accommodate their first team though as Edinburgh City will already be sharing next season.

I never said they would be playing at Ainslie Park though. 

Was just stating how nomadic they are with their 1st team and u 20s playing miles away from each other ;)

I still think it's crazy that they've never had a ground of their own (and possibly have no intention of ever getting one) and they have no real ties to any city or town so they could easily be moving from Annan to the central belt just because they are promoted.  I understand licences for teams with groundshares who actually represent a community but this is a bit ridiculous (same goes for BSC Glasgow playing in Alloa and never having had a ground).

LTHV are stuck in the East of Scotland League despite clearly being above that level, playing in a ground in Edinburgh and they can't get promoted but Edusport can pick any licensed ground around the country (assuming the club who owns the ground will take them).

Glasgow Uni in Aidrie as well...

Edited by stanley

6 hours ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Apologies, I missed that re home based players?   How does that work given their business model of having boys pay to come over here?

I would guess there's a separation between what Edusport Academy does with the French lads day to day and what team gets put out on a Saturday etc. The team is very much dominated by French players but their squad used this year is listed here (over 3 pages).

http://www.southofscotlandfootballleague.co.uk/PlayerStatistics?age=all&div=all&category=all&team=145470

Morgan Reid and Regan McLaren came from Stirling Albion U20s on loan afaik. Ryan McCann is the Ryan McCann and is a coach as well. Would be guessing on Craig Johnson and Andrew McDonald, while Colin Cameron is the CC and coaches their 20s. Gerard Lunday was on a few SPFL clubs' books when a little younger.

Edited by cmontheloknow

They initially played out of Hamilton Palace 3G before they went to Annan - went to a couple of their games there.

I think they knew it was a temporary measure, so there was no effort expended to engage with the local community, and one game I went to on a Friday night there - think it was one of the SoS cup semifinals - the crowd consisted of my mate and I, one other guy, two committee punters from the opposition (Mid-Annandale maybe?) and half a dozen French guys who hadn't made the squad.

Ironically, they're a really entertaining side to watch and it's a shame they haven't picked a base of operations and stuck to it - I think they'd eventually pick up a fanbase if people actually knew about them.

Their business model unfortunately means that it's irrelevant if anyone actually goes to see them though, so I don't see that changing.