Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

BSC Glasgow play in Alloa due to not being able to get a park closer to home. They played at both Ashfield and Maryhill in their first season, in Glasgow. The BSC stands for Broomhill Sports Club, Broomhill being in Glasgow. Do they plan to plan in Alloa forever and a day? Probably not.

The Spartans? Granted it's one of the unsual ones but I assume as they were a Uni old boys' side (and were til the early 00s) there is some sort of ancient Greek love-in going on. Maybe it was ironic.

Any others that have offended you?

We never planned to play in Annan forever so what’s the difference?

why are you so defensive about everything? I never said they ‘offended’ me, I said they weren’t to my liking.

12 minutes ago, Marten said:

Personally, I don't like the new name either. But people having a go at Edusport (or Caledonian Braves) because of them taking an "easy route" are unreasonable imo. When the pyramid was set up, the juniors didn't take part at all, in the east quite a few switched to the EOS recently and maybe the west will join, but they are relatively late to the party. Had they joined from the start, new clubs like Edusport will probably have started at tier 8 at the most. They took the chance to start at tier 6, played it by the rules and earned their place in the LL. BSC Glasgow started straight in the LL. Cumbernauld Colts & East Kilbride went from the amateurs straight into the LL, with the latter having been only a penalty shoot-out away from the SPFL. I don't want that easy route to be there as I would want to see a full pyramid, including juniors and ultimately and amateurs. However, as long as there isn't really a functioning pyramid outside the east, you can't really blame new/amateur clubs to take advantage of it. At least Edusport went through the SOS first and didn't start straight in the LL.

Even though I don't like the name, they are doing good work with their new ground and the season tickets. I hope they will establish themselves in the community they are moving to and if they do, good luck to them.

Common sense and wishing us well....

it will never catch on 😂

Very positive for them that now have their own ground and they have been given credit for that on here.

I think if they'd changed to a name reflecting their location (even with an American style second part of the name like Braves) they would also be praised.  Personally, I think the new name is really poor and doesn't help their image or their chances or attracting fans in the local area.

I think people just want to the Lowland League full of clubs with a history and some fanbase.  

I don't think it's just about people being against new teams.  East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts haven't had a lot of negativity.  BSC have had some negativity because they play in Alloa.  

Criticising Edusport for the way they got into the LL is incredibly unfair.  They made it fair and square through promotion.  The state of the pyramid system at that point and the lack of licensed clubs winning the EoS was not their fault just like it's not the fault of Cumbernauld, BSC and East Kilbride that they got accepted in the absence of any junior clubs applying.

Overall, I think there should be a place in the pyramid for all clubs but I would rather see clubs with more history and support climb up in place of Edusport.  Ultimately, we have a promotion/relegation system in place for a reason and if they're able to survive in the LL over the next few years with many strong East juniors now entering the pyramid they will have done so on merit and deserve it.

Edited by stanley

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The Spartans? Granted it's one of the unsual ones but I assume as they were a Uni old boys' side (and were til the early 00s) there is some sort of ancient Greek love-in going on. Maybe it was ironic.

Hermes in the North Juniors are named after a typewriter.

Although Caledonian Braves is a daft name, to be fair, many Scottish League side names give no clue to their location. 

Celtic, Rangers, Hibernian, St.Mirren, Caledonian Thistle (the Inverness part is a recent addition) Morton (again, Greenock is a later addition), Queen of the South, Albion Rovers. 

Many others give general clues such as Clyde, St.Johnstone etc. 

I'm sure they'll be dancing in the streets of Edusport, this morning. 

2 hours ago, wullieboy78 said:

We never planned to play in Annan forever so what’s the difference?

why are you so defensive about everything? I never said they ‘offended’ me, I said they weren’t to my liking.

The difference is we are fully engaged in our own community with football for all and it's only the adult men's team that cannot play within our community due to the lack of adequate facilities.  That situation will be remedied at some point but we don't have Glasgow in our name because of a vote. We have it there because it's actually where were from.

In this case it was picked by a bunch of members. Fingers crossed folk will have moved on 70 years from now!!

I wonder how long it took Spartans to create their fanbase when they started.

Having the new ground will hopefully help the club kick on and create their own fanbase.

They are still trying to build it just now so you have about 80 years to go.[emoji16]

The difference is we are fully engaged in our own community with football for all and it's only the adult men's team that cannot play within our community due to the lack of adequate facilities.  That situation will be remedied at some point but we don't have Glasgow in our name because of a vote. We have it there because it's actually where were from.

Fingers crossed you get a ground sorted in the near future - anything in the pipeline?

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Now that there's going to be a more noticeable difference between Caledonian Braves/Ourfootballclub and the Edusport education business, Does anyone know who exactly owns Caledonian Braves and has the tenancy agreement on Alliance Park?

Just wondering as isn't it conceivable the likes of the new SoS reserve could actually become Edusport Academy all over again?

It would make a lot of sense if Caledonian Braves/Ourfootballclub and the Edusport Academy are run as separate but linked entities.  There are a number of examples in England where "reserve teams" have obtained a pseudo independence.  The big attraction would be that Caledonian Braves can expand without having to "hold back" by accommodating the annual in-take of students. Edusport Academy can then be run solely as a football academy and the better players can progress to the Braves. Most critical of all it should be possible for both clubs to be licensed (assuming they will both play at the same ground).

NB: The prospects of the "new" Edusport Academy getting promotion from the SoSFL to the LL would appear to be remote as they would be unlikely to win a playoff against EoSFL champions. However, they would be very well placed to transfer to a WoSfL or WRJFA (Pyramid "friendly" league).

3 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

It would make a lot of sense if Caledonian Braves/Ourfootballclub and the Edusport Academy are run as separate but linked entities.  There are a number of examples in England where "reserve teams" have obtained a pseudo independence.  The big attraction would be that Caledonian Braves can expand without having to "hold back" by accommodating the annual in-take of students. Edusport Academy can then be run solely as a football academy and the better players can progress to the Braves. Most critical of all it should be possible for both clubs to be licensed (assuming they will both play at the same ground).

NB: The prospects of the "new" Edusport Academy getting promotion from the SoSFL to the LL would appear to be remote as they would be unlikely to win a playoff against EoSFL champions. However, they would be very well placed to transfer to a WoSfL or WRJFA (Pyramid "friendly" league).

As far as I’m aware the Academy and the first team will be two separate entities going forward

[emoji23] How’s the water there tonight John? [emoji476] 
Don't piss him off again, he’s been on good form so far... [emoji23][emoji106]

Its nice and calm at the moment spyro. Theres a big feck off jerry shaped cloud headin this way though.