Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, chocolateankles said:

I seen a tweet suggesting Braves are moving to Lesser Hampden.  It was a pic of their owner at Lesser saying something about a new future.

I thought they had their own ground at Strathclyde Park already.

Guessing its this?

Looks to me that they've done a doc for STV about the name change from Edusport Academy to Caledonian Braves in 2019 and move to the new ground in Strathclyde Park. The pic likely being a snippet from a training session that happened to be at Lesser Hampden.

EDIT: Turns out the trailer is their pinned tweet 🤣

Edited by FairWeatherFan

I watched most of the documentary last night but started it late in the evening (I'll finish it later today).

I found it interesting. It was good to see behind the scenes at the club especially as they get a very negative reaction on here. It was good to hear from people involved in the project and it gave a different side to the club. It is good that they managed to secure their own ground although the location doesn't sound great. Ultimately, however, I still came away wondering how they will ever build a fanbase and that's certainly their biggest challenge and I still think having a name which doesn't mention the town they play in is a mistake. I would still rather see traditional clubs with some support take their place in the Lowland League over time. The prospect of Caledonian Braves end up in League Two at some point in future with a handful of fans still doesn't sound great but credit to them for taking advantage of the pyramid system and getting their own ground.

An awful lot of Ricky Waddell's "team talks" seem to involve just shouting ****ing as well.

Edited by stanley

54 minutes ago, stanley said:

An awful lot of Ricky Waddell's "team talks" seem to involve just shouting ****ing as well.

Yeah, I wonder how much of that is put on for the cameras, where a manager feels they have an image to live up to as a "passionate" manager.

Or selectively edited, which I think was an accusation levelled at the Albion Rovers doc that came out a couple of years ago

Edited by AlansHotBath

Really enjoyed this. Definitely think Ricky Waddell was swearing for the cameras though and the wee guy Will or whatever he was called with the Bee Inspired top seemed like a complete gimp.

As football documentaries these days go, it is really really shit and boring. I genuinely can not believe I wasted an hour of my life watching it. The only notable moments of entertainment and drama come in the form of a 3-2 win in some South of Scotland Cup and the heartbreaking story of the French boy who tweaked his groin away at Stirling Uni. 

Of the 'characters' in it, Chris Ewing comes across as, without being harsh, an absolute lunatic and seemingly a bit mental. The fact he references Football Manager as inspiration for EduFrance pretty much shows this. They will be mid table LL for a few years then get relegated and eventually disband by the end of the 2020s. There is literally no chance of them ever getting to League 2 unless he pumps in millions and buys the league. Ricky Waddell seemed quite a nice guy but his team talks were very hard to watch. I thought the old guy who watched them was quite a good laugh while the other fans all seemed a bit odd. It appeared that they all knew Chris which gives the impression that all their fans are just people who know Chris and are trying to support his 'dream'. 

I will never, no matter how many times I see them, be able to keep a straight face at some of the suggestions for the team name. Something that is made even more funny by the fact they actually hired a guy to brainstorm ideas with him. If only they had called themselves Venom FC. 

*Chris also confessed that he reads 'online forums' where people laugh at his club. So if you're reading this Chris - your club are shit, you have no fans, nobody wants you in the LL. 

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

As football documentaries these days go, it is really really shit and boring. I genuinely can not believe I wasted an hour of my life watching it. The only notable moments of entertainment and drama come in the form of a 3-2 win in some South of Scotland Cup and the heartbreaking story of the French boy who tweaked his groin away at Stirling Uni. 

Of the 'characters' in it, Chris Ewing comes across as, without being harsh, an absolute lunatic and seemingly a bit mental. The fact he references Football Manager as inspiration for EduFrance pretty much shows this. They will be mid table LL for a few years then get relegated and eventually disband by the end of the 2020s. There is literally no chance of them ever getting to League 2 unless he pumps in millions and buys the league. Ricky Waddell seemed quite a nice guy but his team talks were very hard to watch. I thought the old guy who watched them was quite a good laugh while the other fans all seemed a bit odd. It appeared that they all knew Chris which gives the impression that all their fans are just people who know Chris and are trying to support his 'dream'. 

I will never, no matter how many times I see them, be able to keep a straight face at some of the suggestions for the team name. Something that is made even more funny by the fact they actually hired a guy to brainstorm ideas with him. If only they had called themselves Venom FC. 

*Chris also confessed that he reads 'online forums' where people laugh at his club. So if you're reading this Chris - your club are shit, you have no fans, nobody wants you in the LL. 

I think that's overly harsh. What's wrong with trying something different. We complain we want to change the way scottish football is. But heres guy wanting to try something a bit different. 

I look at camelon and the committee that came on board if in 2016 tony the secretary said to me that we would be licensed have floodlights and putting in seats. A lot of the things they did were different ideas like letting space out behind the goals for portacabins which include a food bank I'd have thought it was mad. But it's all worked and this guy is not any different.

The mistake I think they have made is not calling themselves Strathclyde and identifying with their area to get some fans in on a Saturday. As doing something different does work that's why our attendances went up despite losing die hard junior fans. 

Bsc and  cumbernauld colts seem to be generating interest through their youth teams which is one of the reasons we improved our crowds. 

Tradition isnt everything

Was there any mention of their french origins?

Not sure about watching it

53 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think that's overly harsh. What's wrong with trying something different. We complain we want to change the way scottish football is. But heres guy wanting to try something a bit different. 

I look at camelon and the committee that came on board if in 2016 tony the secretary said to me that we would be licensed have floodlights and putting in seats. A lot of the things they did were different ideas like letting space out behind the goals for portacabins which include a food bank I'd have thought it was mad. But it's all worked and this guy is not any different.

The mistake I think they have made is not calling themselves Strathclyde and identifying with their area to get some fans in on a Saturday. As doing something different does work that's why our attendances went up despite losing die hard junior fans. 

Bsc and  cumbernauld colts seem to be generating interest through their youth teams which is one of the reasons we improved our crowds. 

Tradition isnt everything

Scottish football is changing though. Clubs like Camelon are proof of that. EduFrance are a scam of a club, ripping young French boys off to fund some rich guys hobby. Camelon putting in floodlights is a bit different to that haha.

BSC and Cumbernauld provide pathways for young players, EduFrance don't even do that anymore. They add literally nothing to the pyramid - get them out. 

14 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Was there any mention of their french origins?

Not sure about watching it

It explained about why they did that he was coaching in france students and thought like how he had went to the states they could do the same and combine them learning english language at college and playing with the team. 

The early part was quite boring but it got better as it went on

1 minute ago, craigiemack said:

Scottish football is changing though. Clubs like Camelon are proof of that. EduFrance are a scam of a club, ripping young French boys off to fund some rich guys hobby. Camelon putting in floodlights is a bit different to that haha.

BSC and Cumbernauld provide pathways for young players, EduFrance don't even do that anymore. They add literally nothing to the pyramid - get them out. 

What about a nice new facility a team which could give something different eith fan ownership. German clubs are owned 50% by their fans

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

What about a nice new facility a team which could give something different eith fan ownership. German clubs are owned 50% by their fans

Fan ownership is fine when you have 30,000 attending games every single week. It doesn't work so well when you get 100 people a week. 

26 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

Fan ownership is fine when you have 30,000 attending games every single week. It doesn't work so well when you get 100 people a week. 

Not all will attend every week he said they have fans in Australia and Singapore they are not going to come over every week and did u see that goal

The clueless muppet from camelon with no backbone and flipped like a switch from constant support of the great junior grade to total opposite is again at it blindly sticking up for anything that suits his new position even though anyone with half a brain can see this mob are a sham of a club like a good four or five more in this lowland league.

24 minutes ago, ballermk said:

The clueless muppet from camelon with no backbone and flipped like a switch from constant support of the great junior grade to total opposite is again at it blindly sticking up for anything that suits his new position even though anyone with half a brain can see this mob are a sham of a club like a good four or five more in this lowland league.

😄

Shut your fucking mouth ballerbag!

That ‘clueless muppet from Camelon’ is looking like the brains of Britain compared to you. 

4 hours ago, craigiemack said:

Totally disagree with your very parochial and extremely harsh summary of what this club is trying to achieve...more power to Chris Ewing and the Braves for attempting something different and hope you prove all the doubters wrong!

My advice to you is stick with the same old Shire...never try anything new and in a few years hopefully vanish and never to be seen again!!