Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

2 hours ago, wullieboy78 said:

I’ve been an Edusport member for well over a year now, made the trip to Annan several times last season as well as enjoying away trips to Kelty, East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts.

We currently have over 600 members worldwide and hope that can grow in the coming season.

Moving into new ground which will be ready for pre-season friendlies in a couple of weeks time and a new mobile phone app which will be ready by the end of July. Everything going on at the club is positive and can’t understand all the negativity towards what we are trying to achieve 🤷🏻‍♂️

Excellent use of the rules to get where you are now well done 

Joining a poor South League to fast track promotion and with no play of a bye to LL truly a master stroke

23 minutes ago, Golum said:

Joining a poor South League to fast track promotion and with no play of a bye to LL truly a master stroke

The rules are there for everyone. There can be no complaints on that score as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, wullieboy78 said:

I’ve been an Edusport member for well over a year now, made the trip to Annan several times last season as well as enjoying away trips to Kelty, East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts.

We currently have over 600 members worldwide and hope that can grow in the coming season.

Moving into new ground which will be ready for pre-season friendlies in a couple of weeks time and a new mobile phone app which will be ready by the end of July. Everything going on at the club is positive and can’t understand all the negativity towards what we are trying to achieve 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just keep following your team Wullie and ignore the all the greetin and bitchin. You need to understand Scottish Football hates change of any kind.

You come along with fresh ideas or a fresh approach and you will be hated for it.

Don't have your ground, don't have enough supporters, don't have history. Ignore it all. Make your history mate.

37 minutes ago, Golum said:

Oh aye a fast track promotion that took three seasons to achieve. 😂 In that same period five teams joined the LL without winning anything.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Just keep following your team Wullie and ignore the all the greetin and bitchin. You need to understand Scottish Football hates change of any kind.

You come along with fresh ideas or a fresh approach and you will be hated for it.

Don't have your ground, don't have enough supporters, don't have history. Ignore it all. Make your history mate.

It's not so much about hating change  - although that is probably a correct assessment for a few people - as it is about not wanting to accomodate a team which disregards a lot of what football at this level is actually about, which imo is being tied to a sense of community, be it a club that's been around for a century, or a newly established one like yourselves. 

Shifting location whenever it suits them; picking a rubbish, generic name which sounds like it was created by a marketing committee to appeal to tourists passing through; referring to 'members' rather than fans or supporters ffs - tbh I think it feels like a lot of the negative aspects of modern football applied to a league where they're typically not seen. 

I'm not against every aspect of modern football, but modernisation or change for the sake of it isn't real progress. 

And mostly, it's just a bloody awful name for a football team. 

11 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

It's not so much about hating change  - although that is probably a correct assessment for a few people - as it is about not wanting to accomodate a team which disregards a lot of what football at this level is actually about, which imo is being tied to a sense of community, be it a club that's been around for a century, or a newly established one like yourselves. 

Shifting location whenever it suits them; picking a rubbish, generic name which sounds like it was created by a marketing committee to appeal to tourists passing through; referring to 'members' rather than fans or supporters ffs - tbh I think it feels like a lot of the negative aspects of modern football applied to a league where they're typically not seen. 

I'm not against every aspect of modern football, but modernisation or change for the sake of it isn't real progress. 

And mostly, it's just a bloody awful name for a football team. 

I don’t particularly like the name of some clubs in the lower leagues but doesn’t mean I don’t think they deserve to be there. Just for the record CB wasn’t my first choice for the name but the majority of members voted for it so I will just have to deal with it.

Regardless of what anyone says we are where we are on merit and the Lowland League is possibly going to be the toughest it’s ever been this season.

£25 for a season ticket is excellent value and I will definitely be at most home games this season to support the club.

Of course we aspire to get more fans to the games and build up a fan base in the local area. Now that we have Alliance Park and affordable prices I really hope that comes to fruition 

3 hours ago, wullieboy78 said:

As others have said, the new name is a bit crap, like a franchise.

Something to do with  Lanarkshire might have been better.

Best of luck

4 minutes ago, wullieboy78 said:

I don’t particularly like the name of some clubs in the lower leagues but doesn’t mean I don’t think they deserve to be there. Just for the record CB wasn’t my first choice for the name but the majority of members voted for it so I will just have to deal with it.

Regardless of what anyone says we are where we are on merit and the Lowland League is possibly going to be the toughest it’s ever been this season.

£25 for a season ticket is excellent value and I will definitely be at most home games this season to support the club.

Of course we aspire to get more fans to the games and build up a fan base in the local area. Now that we have Alliance Park and affordable prices I really hope that comes to fruition 

Go on... to what do you refer? Virtually all are linked to their locality or origins! Bizarre statement.

Edited by cmontheloknow

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry to move away from this discussion shortly, but can anyone who watched Edusport last year tell me how Jordan McMillan got on?  Apparently been training with Dumbarton.

I saw him twice. He was garbage against Kelty at right back but was excellent in CM against Cumbernauld

8 minutes ago, wullieboy78 said:

Spartans?

Remind me where BSC Glasgow play again?

🙄

BSC Glasgow play in Alloa due to not being able to get a park closer to home. They played at both Ashfield and Maryhill in their first season, in Glasgow. The BSC stands for Broomhill Sports Club, Broomhill being in Glasgow. Do they plan to plan in Alloa forever and a day? Probably not.

The Spartans? Granted it's one of the unsual ones but I assume as they were a Uni old boys' side (and were til the early 00s) there is some sort of ancient Greek love-in going on. Maybe it was ironic.

Any others that have offended you?

Go on... to what do you refer? Virtually all are linked to their locality or origins! Bizarre statement.

You can’t really say Spartans is a traditional name that is linked to location.

Surely teams/clubs have to start somewhere.

The name chosen wasn’t my first choice either but hey ho, it is what it is. Sure people will get used to it eventually!

Sorry to move away from this discussion shortly, but can anyone who watched Edusport last year tell me how Jordan McMillan got on?  Apparently been training with Dumbarton.

Surprised clubs aren’t lining up to sign him. You’ll have high hopes he can be a decent player again. Then again he can be a bit powerpuff...

Now that there's going to be a more noticeable difference between Caledonian Braves/Ourfootballclub and the Edusport education business, Does anyone know who exactly owns Caledonian Braves and has the tenancy agreement on Alliance Park?

Just wondering as isn't it conceivable the likes of the new SoS reserve could actually become Edusport Academy all over again?

40 minutes ago, wullieboy78 said:

I saw him twice. He was garbage against Kelty at right back but was excellent in CM against Cumbernauld

I always thought he was a centre half but encouraging that he can play in midfield if required.

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Surprised clubs aren’t lining up to sign him. You’ll have high hopes he can be a decent player again. Then again he can be a bit powerpuff...

Puns are shite.

53 minutes ago, Westhamich Albion said:

You can’t really say Spartans is a traditional name that is linked to location.

Surely teams/clubs have to start somewhere.

The name chosen wasn’t my first choice either but hey ho, it is what it is. Sure people will get used to it eventually!

No, but it was picked almost 70 years ago by a bunch of students! I assume with some irony as they were entering the EoS... Maybe some parallels too as they were not setting out to create a fanbase and were open to former students (afaik) across the country, though particuarly Edinburgh Uni. A bit like Westerlands in the amateurs are for Glasgow Uni.

No, but it was picked almost 70 years ago by a bunch of students! I assume with some irony as they were entering the EoS... Maybe some parallels too as they were not setting out to create a fanbase and were open to former students (afaik) across the country, though particuarly Edinburgh Uni. A bit like Westerlands in the amateurs are for Glasgow Uni.

In this case it was picked by a bunch of members. Fingers crossed folk will have moved on 70 years from now!!

I wonder how long it took Spartans to create their fanbase when they started.

Having the new ground will hopefully help the club kick on and create their own fanbase.

Personally, I don't like the new name either. But people having a go at Edusport (or Caledonian Braves) because of them taking an "easy route" are unreasonable imo. When the pyramid was set up, the juniors didn't take part at all, in the east quite a few switched to the EOS recently and maybe the west will join, but they are relatively late to the party. Had they joined from the start, new clubs like Edusport will probably have started at tier 8 at the most. They took the chance to start at tier 6, played it by the rules and earned their place in the LL. BSC Glasgow started straight in the LL. Cumbernauld Colts & East Kilbride went from the amateurs straight into the LL, with the latter having been only a penalty shoot-out away from the SPFL. I don't want that easy route to be there as I would want to see a full pyramid, including juniors and ultimately amateurs. However, as long as there isn't really a functioning pyramid outside the east, you can't really blame new/amateur clubs to take advantage of it. At least Edusport went through the SOS first and didn't start straight in the LL.

Even though I don't like the name, they are doing good work with their new ground and the season tickets. I hope they will establish themselves in the community they are moving to and if they do, good luck to them.

Edited by Marten