Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

It appears most of the French players have only just arrived. There were about 35 in the photo tweeted at Glasgow Airport last night... there are 60 in this from Hampden this morning including women (and presumably anyone who flew in separately). In their first SOSL season, the opening 4-6 weeks were played almost entirely by Scots - until the Frenchmen arrived - but they've lessened that reliance each season.

You see a similar thing with the unis on a more limited scale - their overseas-based players won't generally feature until mid-September, or those from down south in early midweeks.

Going by their social media they seem to have some non-French students this season - and they also have 2 players training and I assume playing on loan from Rangers, and 1 from Kilmarnock.

On the squad point it's worth recalling they run an U20s team (played out of Spartans until now but using Benburb in Glasgow this season) and play midweek friendlies against SPFL U20s. Also loan out extensively to SPFL2/LL/EOSL/Juniors. If they've 50 players they're not competing for just 11 playing opportunities.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Edusport unveil plans to reach the Scottish Premiership ("and beyond") by 2025. At least 30% of the club will be sold to fans and shareholders at £50 per share.

Under the scheme the club will be renamed and the strip replaced.

Lots of details here: http://ourfootballclub.com/

They will have to find some fans to sell shares to:lol:

Isn't this just another Ebbsfleet United type of idea from a decade ago that didn't go too well. The Premiership and beyond - sounds like another Gretna what could go wrong type of thing.

Edited by cowdenbeath

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

They will have to find some fans to sell shares to:lol:

Isn't this just another Ebbsfleet United type of idea from a decade ago that didn't go too well. The Premiership and beyond - sounds like another Gretna what could go wrong type of thing.

I was actually involved in the Ebbsfleet/MyFC thing and the theory of the plan was pretty decent, it's just went tits up when the MYFC board became a hornets nest of bickering and infighting and it just turned into a big angry shitemare.  I actually stuck around as a shareholder until Ebbsfleet were sold becasue I wanted to help Ebbsfleet stay above water despite MyFC.  

Anyways if they allow the fans to have minority ownership it shouldn't end up going as badly as MYFC ended up going

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

I was actually involved in the Ebbsfleet/MyFC thing and the theory of the plan was pretty decent, it's just went tits up when the MYFC board became a hornets nest of bickering and infighting and it just turned into a big angry shitemare.  I actually stuck around as a shareholder until Ebbsfleet were sold becasue I wanted to help Ebbsfleet stay above water despite MyFC.  

Anyways if they allow the fans to have minority ownership it shouldn't end up going as badly as MYFC ended up going

It says 30% so as you say it wouldn't be like the Ebbsfleet thing, maybe just a way of raising cash but the current owners still retaining control. Just need to get themselves  some fans:lol:

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

It says 30% so as you say it wouldn't be like the Ebbsfleet thing, maybe just a way of raising cash but the current owners still retaining control. Just need to get themselves  some fans:lol:

Yes, that is a problem they will need to sort out.  At least with the Ebbsfleet thing there were some local existing fans who bought shares and came on board plus fans from elsewhere who became fans of the team due to MyFC taking over.  

Despite having spent quite a bit of money (I was still single back then so I could get away with it) I don't regret being a part of MyFC/Ebbsfleet.  It was a fascinating look into not only how expensive and complicated a football club is but also a fascinating portal into humans and how they handle situations as a group when times get tough.  

Edited by senorsoupe

This is quite odd. I can't see them ever getting to the SPFL, never mind in 7 years. I can't really understand why anyone would part with £50 to see a club with zero heritage or tradition move up the leagues. 

Good chance to rename their team something funny, though. 

Publicity stunt. They dont have any fans.

They cant even get their facts right on the website linked above, spot the obvious mistake  "The Edusport Academy now has bases in Glasgow & Edinburgh, with teams competing in both the South of Scotland and the Lowland U20 Leagues respectively."

Edited by Goalie Hamish

Took in this game tonight as I was in the area. Pretty poor stuff. Cumbernauld looked the better quality team but Edu wanted it more. Only number 3 and 10 really stood out as having some ability.

Keeper made a cracking save in the 2nd half after his 1st half clanger.

First I heard Edu had won the game was on here. Must have scored during my brief visit to the toilet.

Cant see either team troubling the SPFL anytime soon but like the ambition of Edu.

I can understand to an extent the criticism of the uni sides and bsc Glasgow and cumbernauld colts but where do you even start with edusport!?

A club with zero history, zero identity and zero potential for any fanbase at all. At least the others have potential to grow and represent an area or a large organisation. Edusport are nothing

12 hours ago, edinabear said:

I can understand to an extent the criticism of the uni sides and bsc Glasgow and cumbernauld colts but where do you even start with edusport!?

A club with zero history, zero identity and zero potential for any fanbase at all. At least the others have potential to grow and represent an area or a large organisation. Edusport are nothing

At least the Uni sides especially Edinburgh have a bit of tradition and are long standing, not so much with Stirling.  BSC need to get back to Glasgow and if they can then its possible to build up a support, Cumbernauld are at least in their own town and could have a chance of building something.

Edusport are just the ultimate francise but with next to no chance of building  a support.

Before I say my piece, disclaimer - I've spoken with Chris in the run up to this scheme launching, and as a result am hoping that it proves to be successful!

I see a few comments talking about the old cliches...no history, no fanbase, no identity. Let's take them individually:

• History - well, many clubs at this level are in the same boat. Why should being a new club preclude you from experiencing success?
  • Fanbase - this one has a basis in fact...however, most clubs in this league have sparse supports generally. The SPFL stats recently showed League 2 comes in at just over a 300 average in most cases, with Edinburgh City proving a boost comes with promotion. Back to Edusport: surely launching this scheme specifically looking to increase awareness and following can only be a good thing? If it doesn't work in the end, the club loses next to nothing and gains media exposure for being bold.
  • Identity - are you really saying the club lack this? I'd argue that their identity is extremely clear, give young players from francophone Europe a chance to learn English while training under well qualified coaches on the football side, supplementing the top team with talented loanees from the main Scottish academies. The team play good passing football, which seems to be ingrained in them through every training session. Giving talented youth a chance while helping to prepare them for life after football should things not work out.

Any comparisons to My Football Club (Ebbsfleet) are unfair as well IMO - under this scheme, only 30% of the club is on offer, and the role investors play is completely different. As someone who considered getting involved with MyFC initially, the idea that people could pick the team and make transfers was always mad to me! I'd suggest the list of benefits here shows that Chris has learnt from the mistakes others have made previously...

26 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Before I say my piece, disclaimer - I've spoken with Chris in the run up to this scheme launching, and as a result am hoping that it proves to be successful!

I see a few comments talking about the old cliches...no history, no fanbase, no identity. Let's take them individually:

• History - well, many clubs at this level are in the same boat. Why should being a new club preclude you from experiencing success?
  • Fanbase - this one has a basis in fact...however, most clubs in this league have sparse supports generally. The SPFL stats recently showed League 2 comes in at just over a 300 average in most cases, with Edinburgh City proving a boost comes with promotion. Back to Edusport: surely launching this scheme specifically looking to increase awareness and following can only be a good thing? If it doesn't work in the end, the club loses next to nothing and gains media exposure for being bold.
  • Identity - are you really saying the club lack this? I'd argue that their identity is extremely clear, give young players from francophone Europe a chance to learn English while training under well qualified coaches on the football side, supplementing the top team with talented loanees from the main Scottish academies. The team play good passing football, which seems to be ingrained in them through every training session. Giving talented youth a chance while helping to prepare them for life after football should things not work out.

Any comparisons to My Football Club (Ebbsfleet) are unfair as well IMO - under this scheme, only 30% of the club is on offer, and the role investors play is completely different. As someone who considered getting involved with MyFC initially, the idea that people could pick the team and make transfers was always mad to me! I'd suggest the list of benefits here shows that Chris has learnt from the mistakes others have made previously...

No doubt it is a good business model for the guy and probably good for the young guys coming over from France, playing football, learning English and a different culture in general but i've still to be convinced of the merits that they bring to the 5th tier of Scottish Football.

Being based in Edinburgh and Glasgow but playing 1st team games in Annan isn't going to build up much of a fan base only crowd I could imagine you getting would be Annan fans who don't travel to away games but they already have the options of watching Carlisle, QOS and Gretna right on their doorstep.

Maybe if they got a base in Glasgow they could maybe pick up some fans but in reality both the major cities are already probably overloaded with clubs both in the SPFL and the non league (all junior in Glasgow of course).

Although as BSC have found out its not so easy getting anything suitable in the city, perhaps New Tinto Park, notice your under 20s play there could there be a chance of getting that licensed?

From the clubs perspective it probably is better not having the 100% control given away to people playing real life football management but at the same time the new shareholders will have a very limited input as they can always get outvoted in any proposals so its just really a donation by someone who wants to say they own part of a club.

Good luck anyway.

This is quite odd. I can't see them ever getting to the SPFL, never mind in 7 years. I can't really understand why anyone would part with £50 to see a club with zero heritage or tradition move up the leagues. 
Good chance to rename their team something funny, though. 

They are only one promotion away from the SPFL