June 8th General Election

Mudder

1 minute ago, t1t3h said:

I'm more annoyed by the fact that it's being spun as a holiday, when it's anything but. I feel personally that it's demeaning to the work that home carers do, as if that's less hard work than 'a real job', also I don't know anyone who could realistically take a year off work unpaid, I think most workers simply couldn't afford to do this.
People also shouldn't be having to give up their job to care full time for someone because NHS services are being cut left right and centre by the same government who is giving us this right, it doesn't make sense.

I agree with your point about giving workers more rights against unscrupulous employers but I just think the policy is totally unworkable for the majority of workers in the UK.

It is just giving us the option of taking time off without fear of losing our job, as far as I can see. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just a sticking plaster on the broken social care system, dressed up as some grand 'workers rights' programme.

Lets get ordinary people to do the states work at a fraction of the price. Carers' allowance is roughly £60 p/w I think.

This is fine if you can support yourself, how many are able to do so without a job ?

We need more co-ordinated social care, which is easier to access, rather than placing more responsibility on the individual. The elderly and those with dementia etc. need professional care not some stressed family member having to take unpaid leave and living off a pittance.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The employer should pay special leave, up to a given number of days. The state should pick up the shortfall. Because it's the right thing to do.

Most contracts have a compassionate leave clause.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This is just a sticking plaster on the broken social care system, dressed up as some grand 'workers rights' programme.

Lets get ordinary people to do the states work at a fraction of the price. Carers' allowance is roughly £60 p/w I think.

This is fine if you can support yourself, how many are able to do so without a job ?

We need more co-ordinated social care, which is easier to access, rather than placing more responsibility on the individual. The elderly and those with dementia etc. need professional care not some stressed family member having to take unpaid leave and living off a pittance.

Fucking hell. Users of this legislation won't have to do any unpaid work. They can help with the care of their relatives if they choose to do so. 

This is just like taking a career break except that employers will have to give the time off. Career breaks are not a legal requirement in a contract.

If the media show May struggling with the public questions again then the cracks will form.

She might win this election, but I wouldn't be so sure about the next.

The damage may be irreversible by then though.

Will always remember my mates point of view, a Tory voter, about the NHS when i spoke about privatisation. 

His answer? "Aye well don't you have private medical healthcare through work like me? what does it matter if they start charging to use the NHS?"

Boiled my piss that comment and still does today.

9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

£62.10 the last time I claimed it. It probably went up in April.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Jesus what a rant. :lol:

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

They haven't stopped care provision in the NHS you know.

They have made it easier for those who prefer to care for their own relatives rather than leaving them to rot away in the NHS on their own.

The Tories are wankers and this is just a bribe for votes. However, it is giving us more employment rights and that can never be a bad thing. If Sturgeon came out with this proposal there would be a massive circle w**k happening now.

16 minutes ago, stonedsailor said:

Fucking hell. Users of this legislation won't have to do any unpaid work. They can help with the care of their relatives if they choose to do so. 

This is just like taking a career break except that employers will have to give the time off. Career breaks are not a legal requirement in a contract.

1 hour ago, stonedsailor said:

I agree that Tories are awful but I am failing to see why gaining the right to take a leave of absence to look after an ill relative is a bad thing? Previously if people took time off then there would be a chance of unscrupulous employers terminating contracts. That option  is being removed from them.

So what is it then, a career break or looking after an ill relative ? You've contradicted yourself here.

27 minutes ago, t1t3h said:

I'm more annoyed by the fact that it's being spun as a holiday, when it's anything but. I feel personally that it's demeaning to the work that home carers do, as if that's less hard work than 'a real job', also I don't know anyone who could realistically take a year off work unpaid, I think most workers simply couldn't afford to do this.
People also shouldn't be having to give up their job to care full time for someone because NHS services are being cut left right and centre by the same government who is giving us this right, it doesn't make sense.

I agree with your point about giving workers more rights against unscrupulous employers but I just think the policy is totally unworkable for the majority of workers in the UK.

This is a good post.

Which of the leaders believe in God and how many have taken illegal drugs?

Leanne Woods - No and yes (from an interview today)

Theresa May - Yes and ??? (Probably not)

Jeremy Corbyn - No and ???? (Possibly)

Nicola Sturgeon - ?????? And yes, she tried cannabis once.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

So what is it then, a career break or looking after an ill relative ? You've contradicted yourself here.

Hardly. I did say that users of the legislation won't have to do any work. The choice is theirs. Some may not even use the legislation if a relative falls ill. 

It is not a bad thing to have the choices with the fear of losing your job removed from the decision making process.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Jesus what a rant. :lol:

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

They haven't stopped care provision in the NHS you know.

They have made it easier for those who prefer to care for their own relatives rather than leaving them to rot away in the NHS on their own.

It wasn't a rant. Rant would be the word used to describe your tear stained diatribes against 'lefties'.

I never in any way implied that I was being forced to do anything.

I am well aware they haven't stopped care provision in the NHS. It is however, widely accepted that it is in crisis and at breaking point.

They have made it easier for those who can afford to care for their own relatives, rather than fixing the broken system.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This is a good post.

It really isn't. It has not been spun as a holiday. No one will be forced into taking a full year off. No one will have to look after their relatives unless they choose to.

How many days should employers pay for?
What shortfall?
How much should be paid?

It should be paid for as long as needs to be paid, obviously. Somebody's health is more important than somebody's profit.

You'd have to be a monumental p***k to think otherwise.

Most contracts have a compassionate leave clause.

Yes, quite. I was surprised not all employers do. It should be compulsory.

4 minutes ago, stonedsailor said:

It really isn't. It has not been spun as a holiday. No one will be forced into taking a full year off. No one will have to look after their relatives unless they choose to.

It really is, particularly this bit ...

' I don't know anyone who could realistically take a year off work unpaid, I think most workers simply couldn't afford to do this.
I agree with your point about giving workers more rights against unscrupulous employers but I just think the policy is totally unworkable for the majority of workers in the UK '

The only one trying to spin this as a holiday is you, with comments like 'career break'

There's also the fact that with the Tories currently obliterating workers rights, it can cost as much as £1,200 to bring an unfair dismissal claim, meaning that employers could theoretically bin someone a few months in to their unpaid leave and the chances of that worker being able to afford to take action against them are massively reduced having had no salary for months, having to concentrate on caring for their loved one and having to pay to make the claim. This is an empty tracksuit of a policy, as should be obvious to all but the biggest Tory loonball.

I see Corbyn has shown May up on an ITV Facebook live chat earlier as well. A man who couldn't organise a proper "busy train photo op" on a busy train is looking more competent than her by the day. She really is the Ali Dia of Prime Ministers, and yet, while Dia only fooled Graeme Souness, May is likely to fool millions and millions of oaksoft's and his ilk in to voting for her and providing an even larger majority for her vile party, even though their policies are despicable and she appears to have no concept of genuine human interaction.

What a fucking shambles of a Union we live in.

Archived