June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The right to take a test off eating.

Corbyn: A living wage for all!

May: You may live on a pittance for a year to care for your dying family members

The Guardian editorial: How can Corbyn recover from this?

Corbyn announcing an additional 7.6 billion for the NHS and a new minster for Mental Health.

The more I'm hearing, the more I like.

Still voting for the SNP, mind.

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Corbyn announcing an additional 7.6 billion for the NHS and a new minster for Mental Health.

Any politician in opposition can make as many promises as they like.
But once they're in government are the promises kept?

Still voting for the SNP, mind.

I'd have potentially considered lending my vote to Labour if the candidate in my area had spoken about anything else than the SNP the entire time he's been nominated to stand.

It is staggering how shit Scottish Labour is.

17 hours ago, mjw said:

Baron Darling of Morgan Stanley writing to outline why voters should vote for Blair Dougall.

These nationalists and their constitutional obsession!

The worst line in that pile of nonsense is definitely 'Regardless of what is happening across the country'. That's the message Scottish Labour are sending, that's what Scottish Labour genuinely believe: what the Tories are doing doesn't matter, the SNP are the enemy and the constitution is what matters, not the impact of Conservative policy.

Regardless of what is happening across the country - regardless of the rape clause, regardless of benefit sanctions, regardless of the disabled losing their support, regardless of under 25s being made homeless due to losing eligibility for housing benefit, regardless of Brexit and the complete lack of any kind of plan to deal with it, regardless of the state of the NHS, regardless of the litany of cuts to mental health services and concurrent increase in suicide rates, regardless of workfare, regardless of trade union laws, regardless of those who literally starved to death after being sanctioned - all Scottish Labour want is you to lie back, think of the Union Jack, ignore everything the Tories have done and will do and focus all your effort on hating the SNP. Words can't do justice to how objectionable they are.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

IMG_1494835983.286352.jpg

This... This is shit.

Ah yes, working people are of course in the position to go 12 months unpaid while caring for their relatives who've had their mobility vehicles and benefits taken away. How can anyone question how much the Tories have done for the ordinary worker?

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

'In government'?

?

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

These nationalists and their constitutional obsession!

The worst line in that pile of nonsense is definitely 'Regardless of what is happening across the country'. That's the message Scottish Labour are sending, that's what Scottish Labour genuinely believe: what the Tories are doing doesn't matter, the SNP are the enemy and the constitution is what matters, not the impact of Conservative policy.

Regardless of what is happening across the country - regardless of the rape clause, regardless of benefit sanctions, regardless of the disabled losing their support, regardless of under 25s being made homeless due to losing eligibility for housing benefit, regardless of Brexit and the complete lack of any kind of plan to deal with it, regardless of the state of the NHS, regardless of the litany of cuts to mental health services and concurrent increase in suicide rates, regardless of workfare, regardless of trade union laws, regardless of those who literally starved to death after being sanctioned - all Scottish Labour want is you to lie back, think of the Union Jack, ignore everything the Tories have done and will do and focus all your effort on hating the SNP. Words can't do justice to how objectionable they are.

Ah yes, working people are of course in the position to go 12 months unpaid while caring for their relatives who've had their mobility vehicles and benefits taken away. How can anyone question how much the Tories have done for the ordinary worker?

Excellent post :thumsup2

Every worker can afford to take a year off I take it? Another delusional policy created by people who don't have the 1st fucking clue about the financial worries of the average worker. The fact that certain sections of the press are happy to lap up the Tories bullshit shows you how much of a bubble these cretins live in as well.

Caring for a disabled or dying family member is hardly a walk in the park either, so it isn't a year off at all. It's insulting to carers who get a massive £62 a week to save the NHS and the government thousands every day by sacrificing their own financial security and well being to care for a sick relative around the clock, only to be called benefit scroungers in the press, morons online and by elected MP's.

Theresa May hardly has great record on supporting workers rights either, so why the f**k should we believe her or her cronies in the press now?

I agree that Tories are awful but I am failing to see why gaining the right to take a leave of absence to look after an ill relative is a bad thing? Previously if people took time off then there would be a chance of unscrupulous employers terminating contracts. That option  is being removed from them.

I agree that Tories are awful but I am failing to see why gaining the right to take a leave of absence to look after an ill relative is a bad thing? Previously if people took time off then there would be a chance of unscrupulous employers terminating contracts. That option  is being removed from them.

1. It's unpaid.
2. Maggie May thinks it might get some of the crumbles out of hospital beds, and make it look like the NHS is in less of a mess.
3. How many workers in this day and age actually have a contract this would apply to? And how many will have one within a few years?

Jesus, Stoney, just look at how supportive the bitch has been in the past. Why would she change now?

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

1. It's unpaid.
2. Maggie May thinks it might get some of the crumbles out of hospital beds, and make it look like the NHS is in less of a mess.
3. How many workers in this day and age actually have a contract this would apply to? And how many will have one within a few years?

Jesus, Stoney, just look at how supportive the bitch has been in the past. Why would she change now?

When my mother died a couple of years ago I fortunate in that my company afforded me in excess of 6 weeks unpaid leave whilst she was dying. I would have resigned and lost my employment if they never. This snippet of legislation would make such absences an employment right.

Tories increasing our rights instead of removing them?

I'm more annoyed by the fact that it's being spun as a holiday, when it's anything but. I feel personally that it's demeaning to the work that home carers do, as if that's less hard work than 'a real job', also I don't know anyone who could realistically take a year off work unpaid, I think most workers simply couldn't afford to do this.
People also shouldn't be having to give up their job to care full time for someone because NHS services are being cut left right and centre by the same government who is giving us this right, it doesn't make sense.

I agree with your point about giving workers more rights against unscrupulous employers but I just think the policy is totally unworkable for the majority of workers in the UK.

Archived