Sign in to follow this  
Mudder

June 8th General Election

3 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

My constituency so close to being historic. 67ac7e010bccb630dbb457e9651c219e.jpg

Do you not know how to take a screenshot :1eye

The SNP lost so much ground due to

1. a pisspoor, lacklustre campaign

2. being outflanked on the left by Labour

3. In Angus / NE, the return of the county set to the voting booths, spooked by land reform

4. the weaponising of the constituional issue; feel its unfair to blame Sturgeon for calling indyref 2, as no one predicted back then that a snap election would be called; timing was unfortunate for her

5. vote squeezed badly in the UK context

6. complacency amongst the SNP support

Looking back this bloody nose may be no bad thing for the SNP. Will force them to up their game and realise that nothing in politics is for ever. Hopefully a more radical manifseto next time, and learning the lesson that they have no automatic right to count on the support of the whole Yes movement.

If there is another election this year/early next year, as I expect, and Corbyn is elected on a radical manifesto I think there will be no indyref for the foresseable future. If however the next election delivers the decisive Tory majority May hankered after then Scotland will be independent within a few years.

Somehow at the moment there just seem much bigger fish to fry. The threat to privatise the NHS, asphyxiate funding for public services, and drive the UK's economy off a cliff in the name of bone headed hard-right euroscpeticism are bigger deals right now than whether there's another indyref or not. May's catastrophic failure in this election mean that these things are probably off the table for now...and hopefully her political career is finished.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Do you not know how to take a screenshot :1eye

He voted Tory. Not exactly the brains of the operation, that one.

The notion that a party whose members general ideology involves "protecting protestant values", whatever the f**k they are, having a degree of influence in government is worrying.

Having done a bit of leafletting for the snp, it was relatively obvious they were very complacent. Literally just recycled leaflets and merch from the last holyrood and Westminster elections. That NHSNP one was just weird and not remotely valid for this election. The pens and wristbands all said 'Two votes SNP' as well

Looks like we might get through an election with no major* leadership resignations.

*so not UKIP

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Davidson campaigned on the basis that holyrood is not fit for purpose and to return power to Westminster.

This. It's already been hinted. I don't think any Tory PM will want to go to the Queen and tell her that her Realm has just been divided. Brexit is a great mechansim for subversive erosion of Holyrood.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Dugdale should resign as she has taken Labour from the joint second biggest party in Scotland to a distant third.

2 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Having done a bit of leafletting for the snp, it was relatively obvious they were very complacent. Literally just recycled leaflets and merch from the last holyrood and Westminster elections. That NHSNP one was just weird and not remotely valid for this election. The pens and wristbands all said 'Two votes SNP' as well

Might have been complacency but I'm more inclined to think they were stretched beyond their means with the Council election so close. As I said last night, this is possibly the leevl they should be at.

When I left for work this morning they were announcing a result where Labour took back a seat from LD with a majority of 45.

They then said there had been 120 odd spoiled ballots. I can't believe that these folk were either thick or really arrogant when instead they could well have affected the winner.

26 minutes ago, dogmc said:

No dugdale lying down for the tories did that. Shame her and the rest of slab couldn't be trusted to support the labour leader.

Nah. Only the SNP lost seats to the Tories. They were theirs to lose.

Impossible to see this ragtag shambles of Kippers and sectarian bigots lead by the hapless May lasting as a viable government.

We'll have another GE within 6 months.

Just had a visit from my sister ... she's delighted with the Tory 'win' in Scotland, says it was all about the referendum and she voted Tory accordingly.
We had a cup of tea, she's borrowed our carpet cleaner and our son is staying at hers tonight ... it was only after she left I realised we were supposed to fall out about our politics - no place in divisive Scotland for having opposing views and just having a chat about it like normal folk.

Should have booted her clean in the pie! She'll probably eat your child tonight & clog your carpet cleaner with the collected eviction notices of sanctioned benefit claimants.

If there is a second General Election then the SNP need to start now with a coherent plan to expose Davidson and Dugdale's con trick. That sadly means moving things completely away from the independence agenda and showing the Tories and SLab for the opportunistic wankers they are.

Stop bring complacent and start getting as nasty as these shitebags are.

Will be interesting to see if Sinn Fein will listen to voices like this. There was a time when sitting at Stormont was completely unthinkable for them as well, so I wouldn't completely rule out that they'll show up at Westminster just to cause havoc.

Might have been complacency but I'm more inclined to think they were stretched beyond their means with the Council election so close. As I said last night, this is possibly the leevl they should be at.

Yeah don't get me wrong, 2015 was never gonna be replicated and they were always gonna lose a lot but I feel they could have done more to rally the voters in certain areas that went from huge majorities to marginals in the way they did for the referendum and 2015 GE. I mean to lose 11,000 votes in Rutherglen which Labour managed to win while also losing seats shows you the issue. We were all guilty of taking the big majorities for granted