June 8th General Election

Mudder

1 minute ago, jmothecat said:

Got to admit, if Corbyn manages to become PM I would love to be in the room during their meetings.

It's a pity he's no a Scot.
He could start off the conversation with, "Hullo Hen, how's it gaun?" :lol:

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still lost the election and whilst we gained votes it's clear there has been a shift. He's done better than I expected but a lot of that has come due to circumstance and his compromises. I think Labour now need someone who can bridge the gap between the Corbynistas and the moderates. The manifesto and our policies were very good. I think we are finding a third way within the party itself and I'm starting to believe, with the right leader, we could win the next election.

Who do you think that person is then? That would be quite a task to appeal to both.

17 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Would be interested to know how you managed to be so wrong about Corbyn jmo. Most left wingers saw Corbyn as a breath of fresh air and yet the blairites and PLP saw fit to shout down and denigrate their own leader from the very beginning. It leaves you wondering what might have been if his party had got behind him. Do you feel some kind of collective responsibility? Why do you think your view of him was so easily clouded anyway? Seems like the labour party run with the narrative created by the right wing media rather than challenging it. We've now seen what can happen when you choose to be different rather than just being tory lite, which we've been telling you for years.

I think the main criticism of Jeremy Corbyn is that he seemed the sort who was only interested in protest and had no great wish in actually winning.

I think this election is changed all that.

It will be interesting to see if his newly discovered confidence is more effective against a weakened Theresa May.

16 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Can the Tories just 'do a Thatcher' and get rid of May?

I am reminded of that scene in Alien 4 (Alien Resurrection) where 3 aliens are trapped in a cell.  2 of them attack the third one so that the corrosive blood eats through the floor and they can escape.  I bet the Tories just love that scene.

14 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

We still lost the election and whilst we gained votes it's clear there has been a shift. He's done better than I expected but a lot of that has come due to circumstance and his compromises. I think Labour now need someone who can bridge the gap between the Corbynistas and the moderates. The manifesto and our policies were very good. I think we are finding a third way within the party itself and I'm starting to believe, with the right leader, we could win the next election.

Oh give over. Labour got 40% vote share and 3.5 million extra votes. Why? Because of JC not inspite of him. Blairism is now officially dead. If we can win in Kensington and Canterbury we can now win deep into the tory heartlands.

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I think the main criticism of Jeremy Corbyn is that he seemed the sort who was only interested in protest and had no great wish in actually winning.

It will be interesting to see if his newly discovered confidence is more effective against a weakened Theresa May.

Would require replacing a substantial number of Labour MP's and risking a split in the party.

Oh give over. Labour got 40% vote share and 3.5 million extra votes. Why? Because of JC not inspite of him. Blairism is now officially dead. If we can win in Kensington and Canterbury we can now win deep into the tory heartlands.

Yeh this. Wasn't expecting the delusions to continue. Jmo delighted to be wrong but it's not going to stop him from continuing to be wrong for the foreseeable future apparently

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Corbyn wiped the floor with May at every PMQs. You just wouldn't have known by the way it was reported. That's why May didn't go head to head with him. it's not Corbyns confidence that has changed in this election. it's peoples perception of him when they actually looked closely at him rather than being told what to think by the media.

37 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

It was a joke. I fully accept the result.

In my seat, Labour have pushed the Lib Dems into third, a party who held it from 1974 to 2015. A brilliant result considering people still foolishly were voting tactically for them.

Hi Bri,  absolutely re Berwick. I was going to vote tactically but after our convo  last week went Labour. A magnificent  result in Berwick and gives foundation to kick on. Going to join up now. Well done to Berwick Labour for their work mate.

From a SNP point of view, it was a shit night which goes without saying.  Independence, regardless if there are a significant number of Yes votes who went to other parties, has to go on the back burner until the at least the outcome of Brexit negotiations.

FWIW, I dont think any deal between the Tories and the DUP will stand up over time.  Could see another election in 6 months time and you have to think that a weakened Tory party, regardless of who is leading it, could be vulnerable if Labour get their act together and unite behind Corbyn.  That includes Scottish Labour, as the only thing as embarassing as the SNP losing that number of voters to the Tories last night, was the cretins in Scottish Labour attempting to claim Corbyn's success as their own.

Whenever we go to the polls next, the SNP need to remember they are a party of opposition in Westminster and need to fight the campaign as such, rather than just defending their record in the Scottish Parliament.  As some people have already said, a bloody nose at this time is better than losing a Scottish election or a premature indy ref, which, although on the shelf for now, I dont think is completely dead in he water.

jmo working double time after the absolute boy managed the biggest increase in Labour's vote share since 1945, oversaw their first increase in seats in a general election in 20 years while himself and Abbott both increased their mammoth personal majorities. Abbott's majority is larger than May's entire vote.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

A couple of questions ....

How long do we see the marriage between Theresa May and William Ulsterman lasting ?

Will the DUP get the N.Ireland Secretary job ?

What are the implications for the GFA and the reaction from the Republican side in NI ?

Just now, dogmc said:

Corbyn manifesto was anything but a compromise.

Not so much a compromise.  More that he was willing to have things in the manifesto that he didn't necessarily agree with.

By contrast the Tory manifesto was whatever May said it was - as demonstrated by her decision to change it the middle of the campaign.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

A couple of questions ....

How long do we see the marriage between Theresa May and William Ulsterman lasting ?

Will the DUP get the N.Ireland Secretary job ?

What are the implications for the GFA and the reaction from the Republican side in NI ?

Culture secretary would be more challenging.

Last time I checked, there had been no calls for a second referendum whatsoever. Sure it was on the table (and still very much is) but there had been NO calls for one. There's a difference.

The people have been sold a lie of "stopping indy ref 2." How can you stop something of which there were no concrete plans to start it in the first place!

Unionists constantly slating Sturgeon and SNP for “divisive referendums” and telling them to “just get on with the day job” seem to find no issue with the Brexit vote last year, a snap election, probably another in 6 months time and potentially ANOTHER Brexit vote if this instability continues. Not to mention the countless other horrendous policies of the current Tory gov.

I get the feeling they just think big brother England knows best and stuck in a perpetual state of Scottish self-loathing.

Archived