June 8th General Election

Mudder

Not a fan of this at all, but this loose Tory/DUP agreement is literally the only realistic majority that anyone could form for a Queens Speech.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Not happy with Scotland and Northern Ireland inflicting a Tory government on the English! emoji35.png

I know you're joking but it's still worth remembering that the Tories won a majority of 30 in England alone. And that if Scottish constituencies were completely removed, the Tories would have a majority of 9 in rUK.

Away from all the pro-Tory hype here, Scotland is the reason the Tories don't have a majority.

In saying that, the Scottish 'Labour' voters who were happy to tactically vote Tory have almost certainly given the 'win' to the Tories to some extent. If only 6 Scottish Tory seats had gone to some combination of SNP/Lab/LD, then that group would have been larger than the Tories and the chance of Corbyn being PM would be greatly enhanced.

Well done lads.

Just now, Sooky said:

Not a fan of this at all, but this loose Tory/DUP agreement is literally the only realistic majority that anyone could form for a Queens Speech.

You don't need an absolute majority to pass a Queen's Speech - opposition parties can and have abstained to allow a minority government to take office. No party will do so for Theresa May because it is absolutely clear to everyone that she lost the election and should resign. 

State of Scotland. f**k sake, voting Conservatives as if they actually give a f**k about Scotland and as if they would do anything to help people in Scotland, or indeed in any part of the UK, except their rich banker pals etc.

Do people really hate other people who move here from another country so much (a roundabout way of saying immigrants, but I don't like to classify human beings based on them moving somewhere)? Are people so genuinely stupid as to blindly believe the shite they are told? Are folk so stunningly servile and craven that they are desperate to cling on to a long failed 'Union' that, from the very beginning, was a fucking sham anyway? The Conservatives are led by a despicable cuntress and are a gaggle of scum who gosh and blunder around like it's a jolly old fucking jape, and to them it is, as they stroll around burning money with their banker chums, whilst in reality people are suffering and they just don't care. They simply don't care. Add to that vile scum like the old racist Boris Johnston and you have a truly abhorrent shower of shits. And up here we have a moon faced fud who just cries about people daring to have a say in how they govern themselves, but if it benefited her financially would absolutely support independence. c***s.

Labour can get to f**k as well. Aye, folk are wanking over Corbyn, but he still heads a party of absolute b*****ds and liars, most of whom are utter sell outs and just as bad as their Conservative counterparts. This includes Scottish Labour who gladly prance hand in hand with the Conservatives to stop people having the right to have a fair say when it comes to their governance. The Labour party are pretending to like Corbyn, but I bet the vast majority would stab him in the back, side and front (metaphorically) the first chance they got. A fucking hive of shady snake c***s. At least the Conservatives are openly c***s and aren't sell outs; they cling to their disgusting capitalist ideals of fucking the poor and making the gap even bigger, and don't even ashamed about it, the absolute filthy vermin that they are.

The Liberal Democrats are led by a pishy water damaged Captain Scarlet puppet p***k, who to boot is also a homophobe. It's like Gepetto dreamed his dickhead puppet would become a real boy, but ate too much cheese before bed and his dream was warped, and he got Tim Fanny Farron instead. His party can't be trusted as the tuition fees sell out showed. Of course they aren't the first party to lie and do a huge u-turn and sell out, but that won't ever be forgotten and will always stain them. I wish people would apply this logic to the Conservatives and Labour, who have lied much bigger and much more often and pulled off far more u-turns and sold out far more often than the Liberal Democrats. And of course once more we have a group of sell outs in Scotland who tuck themselves in to the back pocket of their Tory masters to oppose independence. Wankers.

All the while shit will be wrecked in the UK. The NHS, transport, local services, the police, the fire service, benefits, welfare and lots more will get fucked and fucked, whilst money is spunked on nuclear weapons, the army, racism and other horrible pish. The banks will probably soon be allowed to invoke prima nocta given how much they've been allowed to shaft us all. People don't have short memories; they have no fucking memories.

Just scunnered with it all. I try to think the best of people, or at least hope the best of them, but I have been becoming more and more convinced that the UK is full of selfish, bitter, stupid, racist arseholes, all of whom are being played by the folk in power and their shady paymasters, and don't realise that they are suffering because of it. If you vote for a kick in the balls, don't be surprised when you get a kick in the balls.

f**k. Yes,. I'm seething, upset etc etc. There are times when that's appropriate, and if you aren't seething, upset etc over this then you need to ask why.

Canterbury as well. I lived there seven years and I'm still struggling to comprehend Canterbury locals suddenly turning to Labour.

This is completely anecdotal obviously but someone who I follow on Twitter from Canterbury said the other day that her parents had kicked off because she was voting Labour. Lots of replies from people around her age (early 20s) were saying the same in the replies.

We've had a good campaign, but ultimately we didn't win so would stop short of calling this a good election. What heartened me a lot is how unexpectedly good Corbyn was on the campaign trail, he looked assured in the debates, looked at ease with the public, and crucially someone had spent a lot of time looking at the (entirely predictable) Tory attacks and they came up with effective ways of sidestepping them and dealing with them. They managed to run the agenda and take it away from our perceived weaknesses and kept May on the back foot, she played into our hands wonderfully and clearly didn't realise until it was far too late.

The other thing is the party unity throughout the campaign has been good, Corbyn has a lot of very vocal critics in the party but the unity shown in the campaign was great and it's a reminder that Labour are a broad movement of ideologies and that our strength lies in our ability to work alongside the other wings, something that worked really well.

Finally the manifesto was a good, Labour, manifesto. Corbyn did what nobody expected him to and compromised. He kept elements of his politics but our campaign and manifesto was based on Labour ideals that the vast majority of members support. Corbyn's pragmatism in this campaign has been a very welcome surprise.

We didn't win, but I would have bitten your hand off for this at the start of the campaign and the future of the party looks bright. Never have I been so happy to be proven wrong before.

Would be interested to know how you managed to be so wrong about Corbyn jmo. Most left wingers saw Corbyn as a breath of fresh air and yet the blairites and PLP saw fit to shout down and denigrate their own leader from the very beginning. It leaves you wondering what might have been if his party had got behind him. Do you feel some kind of collective responsibility? Why do you think your view of him was so easily clouded anyway? Seems like the labour party run with the narrative created by the right wing media rather than challenging it. We've now seen what can happen when you choose to be different rather than just being tory lite, which we've been telling you for years.

Agree with all of that. Tasmina was one of the front row bobbers. Too ambitious. her voters hev telt her.
Gutted for Angus. Gutted for Scotland.

Labour candidate used to work beside a relative. Let go for being hopeless and not too sharp, so therefore obviously one of the unionist paper only candidates

Could have put the country and stability above short-term political gain. May doesn't deserve to be PM and it makes her schtick of being a safe pair of hands in a crucial period for the country laughable. What has May got other than the perception she's a strong leader, which has now been well and truly exposed as utter rubbish?

She's toast. A liberal Tory will need to take over and rule a minority government for anything positive to emerge from this on the Tory side.

Can the Tories just 'do a Thatcher' and get rid of May?

Surely the likes of Rudd would be a better bet. I'd even take Boris over May.

You don't need an absolute majority to pass a Queen's Speech - opposition parties can and have abstained to allow a minority government to take office. No party will do so for Theresa May because it is absolutely clear to everyone that she lost the election and should resign. 

She should resign. She made this election a personality contest and lost seats. That we can agree on.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Would be interested to know how you managed to be so wrong about Corbyn jmo. Most left wingers saw Corbyn as a breath of fresh air and yet the blairites and PLP saw fit to shout down and denigrate their own leader from the very beginning. It leaves you wondering what might have been if his party had got behind him. Do you feel some kind of collective responsibility? Why do you think your view of him was so easily clouded anyway? Seems like the labour party run with the narrative created by the right wing media rather than challenging it. We've now seen what can happen when you choose to be different rather than just being tory lite, which we've been telling you for years.

Most of the blairites and PLP members aren't left wing, jmo isn't left wing either.

I don't disagree it was the only feasible 'majority', but let's not sugar-coat the fact that Theresa May is willing to work with and as a result tacitly approve rampant homophobia and anti-abortion legislation.

She had options - minority government, resign, call another election. She's chosen the one where people genuinely get hurt.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hope so. EEA status would be ideal in many ways, but the Tories will fear reigniting UKIP if they do that and some of their more kipper leaning back benchers will also now have a lot of leverage given how small the combined Tory-DUP majority would be. They might wind up needing pro-Remain parties like the Lib Dems and SNP to back them at times if they choose the soft Brexit option. It would be irresponsible in the extreme to have another election while the Brexit negotaitions are in progress so things will probably stagger on for another couple of years with the next election being held towards the end of 2019 once that's out of the way. 

Yup.  The whole future of the UK is being decided by concerns about a party that returned no MPs. 

We still lost the election and whilst we gained votes it's clear there has been a shift. He's done better than I expected but a lot of that has come due to circumstance and his compromises. I think Labour now need someone who can bridge the gap between the Corbynistas and the moderates. The manifesto and our policies were very good. I think we are finding a third way within the party itself and I'm starting to believe, with the right leader, we could win the next election.

56 minutes ago, The OP said:

As much as I dislike the Tories and DUP sound like c***s the thought of the Queen using any actual power is terrible imo. 

I can remember on the TV John Major saying that whenever he met Mrs Windsor, if she suggested something then he incorporated it in government policy.

I can remember on the TV John Major saying that whenever he met Mrs Windsor, if she suggested something then he incorporated it in government policy.

Got to admit, if Corbyn manages to become PM I would love to be in the room during their meetings.

Archived