June 8th General Election

Mudder

Cannae keep up with the pace here but Teresa May called this election to secure a mandate from the people for Brexit. The people gave her a mandate that fucked her without the support of the DUP. 

Surely to f**k she can't seriously think that this "mandate" is an endorsement for her. She absolutely has to go and there will need to be another GE later this year. She's completely fucked it and her first Brexit meeting will just consist of foreigners pointing at her and laughing their cocks off. 

Mandate my arse. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 3 years left on a majority, risked it all by calling an election she claimed she'd never call, hid for the duration of said election before losing the majority she had. Now she's relying on some extras from a 17th century period drama to prop up her lame duck administration.

Gotta be one of the most monumental political f**k ups of all time

Had 3 years left on a majority, risked it all by calling an election she claimed she'd never call, hid for the duration of said election before losing the majority she had. Now she's relying on some extras from a 17th century period drama to prop up her lame duck administration.

It's incredible, the Tories get their first majority for 23 years and May blows it in 25 months.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

We've had a good campaign, but ultimately we didn't win so would stop short of calling this a good election. What heartened me a lot is how unexpectedly good Corbyn was on the campaign trail, he looked assured in the debates, looked at ease with the public, and crucially someone had spent a lot of time looking at the (entirely predictable) Tory attacks and they came up with effective ways of sidestepping them and dealing with them. They managed to run the agenda and take it away from our perceived weaknesses and kept May on the back foot, she played into our hands wonderfully and clearly didn't realise until it was far too late.

The other thing is the party unity throughout the campaign has been good, Corbyn has a lot of very vocal critics in the party but the unity shown in the campaign was great and it's a reminder that Labour are a broad movement of ideologies and that our strength lies in our ability to work alongside the other wings, something that worked really well.

Finally the manifesto was a good, Labour, manifesto. Corbyn did what nobody expected him to and compromised. He kept elements of his politics but our campaign and manifesto was based on Labour ideals that the vast majority of members support. Corbyn's pragmatism in this campaign has been a very welcome surprise.

We didn't win, but I would have bitten your hand off for this at the start of the campaign and the future of the party looks bright. Never have I been so happy to be proven wrong before.

:pepsi

May is right to acknowledge that only the Tories can realistically govern.

But what a shite speech. 'Certainty'. FFS.

3 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I can certainly see why she called the election.  The polls when she called it all pointed to her vastly increasing her majority, and an increased majority would have given her the mandate she craved and strengthened her hand at home and abroad.  Had she not called the vote she would have continued to face the (correct) jibes that the British people never voted for her as PM and she had no mandate to be leading our negotiations with the EU.

The electorate has rejected her leadership after a disastrous campaign and her short tenure as PM must come to an end.  There's no feasible way she can lead the Tories into the next election campaign having lost seats in this one.

May is right to acknowledge that only the Tories can realistically govern.

But what a shite speech. 'Certainty'. FFS.

Must be chuffed your coaltion partners hate you ??

Kensignton and Chelsea goes labour,we truly are living in mental times

Canterbury as well. I lived there seven years and I'm still struggling to comprehend Canterbury locals suddenly turning to Labour.

I can certainly see why she called the election.  The polls when she called it all pointed to her vastly increasing her majority, and an increased majority would have given her the mandate she craved and strengthened her hand at home and abroad.  Had she not called the vote she would have continued to face the (correct) jibes that the British people never voted for her as PM and she had no mandate to be leading our negotiations with the EU.
The electorate has rejected her leadership after a disastrous campaign and her short tenure as PM must come to an end.  There's no feasible way she can lead the Tories into the next election campaign having lost seats in this one.

Oh yeah, from a political point of view it made sense at the time but she refused to engage with the election of her own making. Now she has to fall on her sword. There's a reason so senior tories are speaking to the media. Because they haven't worked out a narrative yet to appear unified

21 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

At the same time you have a town like Mansfield voting Tory. Absolute mind f**k this election.

Surely you can see how the United Kingdom doesn't make any sense now....

It was a joke. I fully accept the result.

In my seat, Labour have pushed the Lib Dems into third, a party who held it from 1974 to 2015. A brilliant result considering people still foolishly were voting tactically for them.

Canterbury as well. I lived there seven years and I'm still struggling to comprehend Canterbury locals suddenly turning to Labour.

Young people. Social media.

Said for ages and ages and ages that SNP/Yes types were voting Corbyn up here. Corbyn stuff just took off and snowballed.

The Tories cannot govern - even with the Bunfields - with May at the helm; she is a busted flush now. There's no way that she can possibly command her own party rebels (both on the right and pro-European figures like Soubry). If the Tories are smart they'll find a leader willing to push through a deal retaining the Single Market, but given how many times that the Tory party have Dundeed it over the past three years they'll probably elect Jacob Rees-Mogg or some other cretin. 

We've had a good campaign, but ultimately we didn't win so would stop short of calling this a good election. What heartened me a lot is how unexpectedly good Corbyn was on the campaign trail, he looked assured in the debates, looked at ease with the public, and crucially someone had spent a lot of time looking at the (entirely predictable) Tory attacks and they came up with effective ways of sidestepping them and dealing with them. They managed to run the agenda and take it away from our perceived weaknesses and kept May on the back foot, she played into our hands wonderfully and clearly didn't realise until it was far too late.

The other thing is the party unity throughout the campaign has been good, Corbyn has a lot of very vocal critics in the party but the unity shown in the campaign was great and it's a reminder that Labour are a broad movement of ideologies and that our strength lies in our ability to work alongside the other wings, something that worked really well.

Finally the manifesto was a good, Labour, manifesto. Corbyn did what nobody expected him to and compromised. He kept elements of his politics but our campaign and manifesto was based on Labour ideals that the vast majority of members support. Corbyn's pragmatism in this campaign has been a very welcome surprise.

We didn't win, but I would have bitten your hand off for this at the start of the campaign and the future of the party looks bright. Never have I been so happy to be proven wrong before.

Me too I've felt worse on the losing side at times.

Young people. Social media.

Said for ages and ages and ages that SNP/Yes types were voting Corbyn up here. Corbyn stuff just took off and snowballed.

The other youngsters I went to school with at the time thought god, the queen and the Conservative Party were good things. Admittedly this was 14 years ago but I was considered weird for coming from a leftie atheist family.

27 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just Kensington these days. The Chelsea bit fecked off to join Fulham and is still solidly Tory. 

Brexit really annoying the London types, although disappointingly Zac Goldsmith got back in by 45 votes. 

Archived