June 8th General Election

Mudder

Sir Winston Churchill for me, although Harold McMillan is the first one I remember.

Churchill? The same Churchill that put ten thousand troops plus tanks onto the streets of Glasgow to stop Union-backed protestors who were campaigning to reduce working hours and help alleviate post-war unemployment. That Churchill?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Churchill was an absolute scumbag. He was chased out of Dundee in his early career, after successfully managing to turn an entire city against himself :lol:

PMs in my lifetime are:

Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May. 

I'm not ranking them because they're all largely utter c***s (and i was too young to remember the first three). The only certainty is that May is by the length of a country mile the worst of the lot. 

50 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Churchill? The same Churchill that put ten thousand troops plus tanks onto the streets of Glasgow to stop Union-backed protestors who were campaigning to reduce working hours and help alleviate post-war unemployment. That Churchill?

What's your point - the question was "who are the prime ministers in your lifetime", Loondave1 said Harold McMillan was his first one, I said Sir Winston Churchill was mine. Save your rant for a more appropriate reply.

11 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

No spring chicken then ! Harold Wilsons Govt is the one recall first.Then Heath and Wilson again.

I was born on the day Ted Heath took office.  My first real memory of a PM though, is of Jim Callaghan taking over from Wilson. 

Clearly, I'm just a young kid on this thread.

55 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

images-3.jpeg

12 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

The Lib Dem press office just tweeted that Jamie Stone (MP for Caithness) is running for leader, then quickly deleted it. Hmmm

So they should. "Running for office" is an Americanism and we already have enough of those. In the UK you "stand" for Parliament or other political office.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

So they should. "Running for office" is an Americanism and we already have enough of those. In the UK you "stand" for Parliament or other political office.

Is it? I never knew that - I think you're too late trying to get it "banned", it seems to be common parlance. (I know we "stand" for Parliament, but I'm sure "running for office" hs been around for ages.)

I was born during Major's tenure. To be honest, I don't have particularly strong opinions on him. I would rank the remaining four: Blair, Brown, May, Cameron. 

Cameron is automatically the worst for calling and then losing the EU referendum. What a dick. May is running him very close at the moment, though. Blair and his government had some fine achievements domestically, particularly in the pre-2003 period. Lost direction and purpose after Iraq, though. Brown, in my opinion, did a decent job in very challenging circumstances and was absolutely in politics for the "right reasons", but ultimately didn't have enough time in the role to define his premiership away from the financial crisis. 

21 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Had to look up who was PM when I was born. Oh, God, it was Macmillan.

Would somebody come and tuck in my tartan blanket, please?

Union flag blanket surely.

As has been pointed out you can't really change who was PM when you were born even if you don't like them ! Calm down and have a nice cup of tea or something.

I was born on the day Ted Heath took office.  My first real memory of a PM though, is of Jim Callaghan taking over from Wilson. 
Clearly, I'm just a young kid on this thread.

Sunny Jim Callaghan came across as a nice uncle type.I liked him.

I lived through the last year of Major, so evidently I don't recall much - but always thought he came across, and still does, as a decent if underwhelming guy. Also I can only assume it was refreshing to have a guy born on a council estate who didn't go to uni cause he was a bit shite at school as PM. This was a top election poster:

6e1ae8ce671f9adeb8f022c1fd414e20.jpg

I know this won't be popular here, but Cameron is my favourite of the ones I remember. I truly believed in the Cameron/Osborne modernisation of the Conservative Party in to a more socially liberal party. He was the reason I joined the party. Even though more MPs hired against it, I'll always be grateful he stood up to many of his own party and grassroots members on the issue of same-sex marriage. For example, he tried to turn it into a conservative issue.

https://youtu.be/woRt_s2ZuXg

Though I worry that's now passed and we're regressing, and I'm starting to feel a bit politically homeless.

Worst to best

1. Without doubt Blair. A murdering sociopath that got involved in more wars than any ruler past or present, elected or monarch. Shifted the entire country to the right with his liberal free market economics. Set in placed the conditions for the social destruction of the country or at least added massive amounts of fuel to the fire. destroyed the Labour Party from within. Absolutely vile human being.

2. Thatcher- gave birth to rampant consumerism and individualism. Like Blair completely shifted the country and Party to an unrecognisable form.

3. Cameron- absolute pussy. Unprincipled. Socially liberal and economically liberal the worst of both worlds.

Best was Major in my opinion. But that says more about whose led us than him.

For what it's worth, whilst May will go down as one of the most hopeless PMs we've had, there's something from the disaster of a manifesto that sticks with me:

“Because Conservatism is not and never has been the philosophy described by caricaturists. We do not believe in untrammelled free markets. We reject the cult of selfish individualism. We abhor social division, injustice, unfairness and inequality,”

“True Conservatism means a commitment to country and community; a belief not just in society but in the good that government can do.”

It won't happen now, not under May at least, but I would have been genuinely interested to see if the Conservatives began to go back to original Toryism, before Thatcher changed the direction of the party. I get the feeling May was trying to turn it more into a Christian Democratic type of party.

The SWP are rape apologists and have an extensive history of awful treatment of women within their ranks. They absolutely should not be allowed to profit from this, or any, tragedy.

Completely agree with this.

The SWP are just exploiting this for their own narrow sectarian aims.

The problem is that they often end up discrediting the very campaign they are trying to help with their screamy middle-class class warfare.

Archived