June 8th General Election

Mudder

20 minutes ago, Lex said:

She surely can't try to form a government with the DUP ffs.

Vote of no confidence inevitable within a month imo.  The Bojo block of hard Brexit back bench Tories will smell blood and turn against her very quickly.

I think Labour and Lib Dems hope she will, it means a few months of Mayhem till it all ends in tears and the other two parties down here can point fingers and try and say the right things without having to prove it would work.

Labour just need to start singing from the same hymn sheet now that they know that people will vote for Corbyn who managed to successfully go through most of the campaign not saying much if anything about Brexit.

Labout need to keep the loonies and less TV friendly ones out of the public eye, let Bojo make a tit of himself and Gove and Hunt come over even more smarmy as they jostle for their next jobs and JC could be on a winner.

I can see the Lib Dems picking up a few more seats in a few months, Farron comes across as more personable than Clegg did and has definitely helped them down here.

I predict another election before December and another hung/coalition but with different flavours, the SNP should get themselves better prepared.

The Tories need to ditch May and elect a human as leader that the public can actually like rather than saying their guy is worse all the time. Their campaign in England couldn't have been worse run or more negative than if they had asked Alistair Campbell to run it.

It was about Brexit in England for a lot of people but with 3 terror attacks happening in the run up to voting day a lot of fingers pointed at the ex Home Secretary. Keep her on as leader and they are fucked.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just woke up. It's a bit pish isn't it. Still only short by about 7 seats from what I thought the SNP would get.

What is alarming is the amount of people that have clearly voted Tory because of fucking independence/because they are a ***. That's brutal. Yes vote has clearly split because of Corbyn, id say about 7-10 percent of labours vote has came from Yes voters up here which is why every single Scottish labour MP harking on about this meaning no second divisive referendum is driving me insane.

:lol:

Get up this morning to put the telly on and see a bunch of students being interviewed. One spoiled his ballot because Corbyn is a communist and May wants to censor the internet. Next one says she voted Conservative "with a heavy heart" because although she trusts them on the economy she wants them to be "more compassionate"

I look forward to seeing her in tears in a Question Time audience in 18 months' time

Personally I hope not but she put far too much onto a referendum which wasn't wanted,the focus should have been promoting Scottish interests in Brexit....

I think her referendum announcement was ill-timed, yeah she didn't expect the snap election at the time but it ended up being a gift for unionist parties and she didn't really settle on a good position for it during the campaign.

For what its worth if the SNP can have a wee break from blaming everyone else and think it through they might learn something.Firstly they drove some of the Remain vote into the hands of the Torys by misrepresenting that as an endorsement for an Indy2 vote thus alienating soft SNP voters who like them running Scotland but a bit shy of independence.Secondly the "billy big baws" "only show in town" schtick has grown tiresome to all but those inside the echo chamber.You can all shout abuse at those who went soft Tory (step too far for me) but it was driven by the thought the SNP ceased listening about the lack of desire for Indy2 and ploughed on blindly into last nights result.Also keep up the regarding everyone not voting SNP as "traitors" and "quislings" i.e the majority of Scottish voters and the hole being dug will get bigger.Time to"smell the coffee".Found myself feeling a bit sorry for Wee Eck what with his dad and that.No denying he is/was a massive figure in Scottish politics.Interesting times.

:lol:

Considering the areas they done well in, Glasgow, Coatbridge etc? That might be lowballing it. Think 7% is perfectly reasonable. Know plenty of Yes who voted Labour because of Corbyn and also said before hand it would happen because of what I'd seen on social media. Some of the most prominent Yes voters I followed were voting Labour.

27.1% they got, what would you say was the YES/NO split in that? 7% seems perfectly reasonable considering the polls.

32 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The DUP want the softest border possible.

I suspect we might end up with a Brexit that is so soft or so close to where we already are that everybody will wonder why we even bothered...

Hope so. EEA status would be ideal in many ways, but the Tories will fear reigniting UKIP if they do that and some of their more kipper leaning back benchers will also now have a lot of leverage given how small the combined Tory-DUP majority would be. They might wind up needing pro-Remain parties like the Lib Dems and SNP to back them at times if they choose the soft Brexit option. It would be irresponsible in the extreme to have another election while the Brexit negotaitions are in progress so things will probably stagger on for another couple of years with the next election being held towards the end of 2019 once that's out of the way. 

Just had a visit from my sister ... she's delighted with the Tory 'win' in Scotland, says it was all about the referendum and she voted Tory accordingly.

We had a cup of tea, she's borrowed our carpet cleaner and our son is staying at hers tonight ... it was only after she left I realised we were supposed to fall out about our politics - no place in divisive Scotland for having opposing views and just having a chat about it like normal folk.

Fat boy goes.

Found myself feeling a bit sorry for Wee Eck what with his dad and that.No denying he is/was a massive figure in Scottish politics.Interesting times.

did ye?

The SNP lost so much ground due to

1. a pisspoor, lacklustre campaign

2. being outflanked on the left by Labour

3. In Angus / NE, the return of the county set to the voting booths, spooked by land reform

4. the weaponising of the constituional issue; feel its unfair to blame Sturgeon for calling indyref 2, as no one predicted back then that a snap election would be called; timing was unfortunate for her

5. vote squeezed badly in the UK context

6. complacency amongst the SNP support

Looking back this bloody nose may be no bad thing for the SNP. Will force them to up their game and realise that nothing in politics is for ever. Hopefully a more radical manifseto next time, and learning the lesson that they have no automatic right to count on the support of the whole Yes movement.

If there is another election this year/early next year, as I expect, and Corbyn is elected on a radical manifesto I think there will be no indyref for the foresseable future. If however the next election delivers the decisive Tory majority May hankered after then Scotland will be independent within a few years.

Somehow at the moment there just seem much bigger fish to fry. The threat to privatise the NHS, asphyxiate funding for public services, and drive the UK's economy off a cliff in the name of bone headed hard-right euroscpeticism are bigger deals right now than whether there's another indyref or not. May's catastrophic failure in this election mean that these things are probably off the table for now...and hopefully her political career is finished.

Archived