June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Has this been clarified? I've seen a few folk on Twitter mention it but no one has been able to provide a source.

It'll be an initial assessment.  Amazing if it's even a ball-park figure.

She surely can't try to form a government with the DUP ffs.

Vote of no confidence inevitable within a month imo.  The Bojo block of hard Brexit back bench Tories will smell blood and turn against her very quickly.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

She was smart enough to pull on the OO and bigot vote, that's eventually going to backfire I think.

Could be a few Tory voters who are currently concerned at a DUP Coalition.

I would agree, i would argue that the Tories really didn't play a blinder at all, they have went from a comfortable majority to needing a coalition to form a parliament and have seen their biggest rival's gain strength and their leader shown as being utterly spineless and scared of being in a debate with anyone.

Just now, ICTChris said:

It'll be an initial assessment.  Amazing if it's even a ball-park figure.

I hope it's correct, it's long overdue that the youngsters stood up for themselves and demanded balance in party manifestos.

Especially given the DUP are more to the left economically than some people realise. Will be interesting to see what the "informal agreement" angle between the DUP and SNP is all about:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/08/general-election-results-2017-uk-live-labour-tories-corbyn-may-election-results-live-news-line?page=with:block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2#block-593a56cee4b0be3ed19248a2
Foster said any discussions about an informal agreement with the SNP would be over the weekend. “It’s too soon to say what we are going to do yet, we need to see the final makeup of parliament and we need to reflect on that,” she said.
“There will be contact made over the weekend, but it is too soon to work out what we are going to do.”

The DUP on certain aspects of social policy and freedom of movement are also to the left.

If you remove the hell, fire and brimstone areas of their policies they are not a million miles away from the SNP.

Ruth is a terrible leader. The Conservative "Revival" owes more to Labour being seen as too weak to challenge the SNP and a huge increase in spending by the Conservatives in Scotland off the back of that sentiment. Ruth only looks good when compared to Kezia Dugdale. As a politician and political leader she is very one dimensional and relies a lot on a sympathetic press presentation.

We'll just have to disagree on this. I think her parties performance in the last few elections shows she is a good leader.

I accept she is one dimensional and it's all about stoking up resentment, mainly to Independence, but it's working for her. Just as three slogans on a bus worked for the Leave vote, she kept it simple for the electorate - 'no to Indyref2'. She also seems to have embraced Brexit even though she hated the idea. That possibly played well for her.

Just now, Lex said:

Vote of no confidence inevitable within a month imo.  The Bojo block of hard Brexit back bench Tories will smell blood and turn against her very quickly.

Johnson isn't a hard Brexit Tory, I doubt he even knows what he is.

Such a tight majority leaves the government open to rebellions by Remainers as well - more Tory MPs backed remain than Leave.  i think this will lead to a soft(er) Brexit.  Maybe they could even stay in the Single Market and get the SNP on board?>

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The DUP on certain aspects of social policy and freedom of movement are also to the left.

If you remove the hell, fire and brimstone areas of their policies they are not a million miles away from the SNP.

Thankfully we've got a big puddle of water to keep them away.

The wee fat Scottish tory had a good nae, very good election strategically. Based on Indy bashing and I don't actually know any of her policies.

Exactly. She kept it simple and it worked. Tories are the party of Brexit and 'No to Indyref2'. What else? Who cares.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

:lol:

4 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I would agree, i would argue that the Tories really didn't play a blinder at all, they have went from a comfortable majority to needing a coalition to form a parliament and have seen their biggest rival's gain strength and their leader shown as being utterly spineless and scared of being in a debate with anyone.

In Scotland, they have.

The DUP want the softest border possible.

I suspect we might end up with a Brexit that is so soft or so close to where we already are that everybody will wonder why we even bothered.

A bit like deciding you don't want to stay at a pub any longer, you want to go somewhere else and you end up in the beer garden out the back.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Johnson isn't a hard Brexit Tory, I doubt he even knows what he is.

Such a tight majority leaves the government open to rebellions by Remainers as well - more Tory MPs backed remain than Leave.  i think this will lead to a soft(er) Brexit.  Maybe they could even stay in the Single Market and get the SNP on board?>

He's the figurehead of that Brexit branch of the party, he was the defaqto leader of the leave campaign after all.

If she does go ahead with this lunacy coalition and agrees to soften up on Brexit these Tory MP's will quickly team up with Labour and The SNP and call a vote of no confidence in the government, and they'll win it.

Then we have another general election.

There's no way this coalition with the DUP lasts a month.

Just woke up. It's a bit pish isn't it. Still only short by about 7 seats from what I thought the SNP would get.

What is alarming is the amount of people that have clearly voted Tory because of fucking independence/because they are a ***. That's brutal. Yes vote has clearly split because of Corbyn, id say about 7-10 percent of labours vote has came from Yes voters up here which is why every single Scottish labour MP harking on about this meaning no second divisive referendum is driving me insane.

Good to see Labour come so close down south but the fact the Tories still got more votes when Theresa May has been an absolute shambles for months is pretty worrying.

A DUP/Tory deal would be fucking depressing.

Archived