June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

In terms of voting numbers, the swing was from the SNP to the Tories, with Labour standing pat. I have no idea why that should be - cult of personality may have something to do with it, like Fullerene says - but it's an issue that Sturgeon needs to look at. SNP loonball activists screaming "but but but tactical voting but but but last time was a one off but but but protest vote" look like they are burying their heads in the sand., and it's not good for the SNP if they are.

Revenge of the SNP Leave vote?

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Disagree. I don't agree with virtually anything that Ruth Davidson says, but she is a good leader. The Tories revival up here is down to her leadership.

Ruth is a terrible leader. The Conservative "Revival" owes more to Labour being seen as too weak to challenge the SNP and a huge increase in spending by the Conservatives in Scotland off the back of that sentiment. Ruth only looks good when compared to Kezia Dugdale. As a politician and political leader she is very one dimensional and relies a lot on a sympathetic press presentation.

The wee fat Scottish tory had a good nae, very good election strategically. Based on Indy bashing and I don't actually know any of her policies.

I think what the result in Scotland shows is that voting is 'softer' all round now.  The SNP absolutely smashed it out the park in 2015 and ran up huge majorities.  Two years later and those majorities have gone either in lost seats or much reduced holds.

On the positive side for the SNP, I think they'll look to win these seats back.  On the negative, it shows that there's nothing inevitable about independence, about the SNP winning, about people voting Yes.  Also, the SNP have had a slick electoral machine for a few years, maybe this time it didn't work as well.  Why is that?  They'll need to do a full inquest.  Difficult one for them, in that they will need to assess what went wrong but also not over-react.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Ruth is a terrible leader. The Conservative "Revival" owes more to Labour being seen as too weak to challenge the SNP and a huge increase in spending by the Conservatives in Scotland off the back of that sentiment. Ruth only looks good when compared to Kezia Dugdale. As a politician and political leader she is very one dimensional and relies a lot on a sympathetic press presentation.

Agree with that. She's an implementer. And bouyed by the council numbers, a very aggressive one. That, sadly, seems to be good enough in an election these days.

The SNP had a poor campaign epitomised by that awful Party Political Broadcast.  There is no doubt that all three opposition parties in Scotland set the narrative and it was very difficult for Nicola Sturgeon to avoid this continual barrage.  The lie that all she was talking about was IndyRef2 gained credence in the mind of the voting public.

In the long term it is maybe not the worst result, it will show the SNP that we cannot take folk for granted and that we have to listen more.

I am not sure how tenable a DUP supported Conservatory minority government can be.  A further GE before the end of 2017 would not surprise me.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I dare say that's an aspect that has been overlooked. SNP leavers from Peterhead. Makes sense.

I think the seats that the SNP held in rural areas - Borders and NE - probably had a lot of voters who actually don't fit that well with the SNP.  Most eurosceptic, less left.  I think that's caught up with the SNP, in that previously having good MPs with a high profile, like Salmond or Robertson, made these seats safe having the SNP under focus in the national spotlight more pushed voters away from them.  

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I am not sure how tenable a DUP supported Conservatory minority government can be.  A further GE before the end of 2017 would not surprise me.

Gazebo government IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Ruth is a terrible leader.

This is absolutely clear to anyone who pays attention to what she actually says and does.

She's terrible under pressure and even when on the attack she leaves herself open to counters. FMQs should have been simple for her this week but Nicola Sturgeon simply batted her out the park.

Her politics appear to be an ability to come up with quirky photo shoots, some like the mobility scooter totally backfiring.

She's got a nice wee dog though.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

We should do this once a week, it's great fun.

I agree. It should keep the FX rate running low for a while longer. I enjoy coming home for exceedingly cheap beer.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Theresa May to ask the queen for permission to form a government with the DUP at 12:30pm. That's us f**ked then.

Smart (only smart thing she's done in months), she's not waiting for any kind of space to open up where people start idly musing about Labour in government or a Tory government without her. 

Archived