June 8th General Election

Mudder

Tories like to talk big on security but they've got Green MP Caroline Lucas on a watch list! Yet they let a young Islamist back into the country from Libya with no questions asked? With the cuts to police down south, shouldn't they target their resources a bit better?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's stupidity that has people potentially flocking back to Labour more the fact they've produced a good manifesto for the first time in yonks. They'd maybe have seen a minor bounce in the polls up here if Scottish Labour's ineffectual clown car leadership hadn't prevented a sustained attack on the SNP from the left. As it is they'll stay a complete irrelevance and rightly so.

8 hours ago, Fide said:

There is actually zero chance of Labour doing well up here, due to the fact that the Scottish electorate aren't nearly as stupid as the English electorate.

Labour's resurgence in England has f**k all to do with idiocy. But I'm guessing you're not so thick as to not see that.

13 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Labour's resurgence in England has f**k all to do with idiocy.

I think it does to some extent. Or more exactly contrariness – the desire to give someone a bloody nose because you're told they're the only sensible option (cf US Presidential Election; Brexit). I'm sure some are looking at policies, but you inevitably see this drift in election campaigns  – it may well affect the SNP up here. If Corbyn looks like he's winning ahead of the election, it'll swing back I expect.

So it's not outright stupidity, but you can't really put the resurgence down to voters reading manifestos and suddenly realising the Tories are horrendous. I don't think things like the rape clause even figure down south for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I think it does to some extent. Or more exactly contrariness – the desire to give someone a bloody nose because you're told they're the only sensible option (cf US Presidential Election; Brexit). I'm sure some are looking at policies, but you inevitably see this drift in election campaigns  – it may well affect the SNP up here. If Corbyn looks like he's winning ahead of the election, it'll swing back I expect.

So it's not outright stupidity, but you can't really put the resurgence down to voters reading manifestos and suddenly realising the Tories are horrendous. I don't think things like the rape clause even figure down south for some reason.

Whoever coined the phrase "Dementia Tax" played a blinder.

6 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

They ARE the sensible option though. The options in England are terrible, and Labour are probably the best bet for any voters who look at the Tories and want them out.

It's not about reading the manifestos or anything like that. It's a basic case of looking at their options and realising what they are. That's not stupidity.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Whoever coined the phrase "Dementia Tax" played a blinder.

Can't quite get his name.

In my constituency, Glasgow North, Patrick Harvie is standing for the Greens. Ordinarily, I vote Green, unless there is no chance they'll get in (Holyrood constituency vote) or there is no candidate (Westminster vote in Aberdeen South), in which case I vote SNP. Do any of you nerds know if there is a significant chance of the Tories or any other party taking GNorth, or am I safe to back everyone's favourite vegetarian? I'd love to see him as MP, but keeping the Tories out is obviously the priority.

Andrew Neil was awful and I haven't been impressed with any of his interviews. He threw softballs at Theresa May which she fumbled over, tedious re-treading with Corbyn when he had clearly answered the question and bland questions for Sturgeon which she easily worked her way around.

The BBC were looking for the big hit that Vote Labour, Get SNP for their English viewers and lead with that point on the news. But Nicola Sturgeon never said she would work with Labour, she said a "progressive alliance" which is not the same thing.

14 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

In my constituency, Glasgow North, Patrick Harvie is standing for the Greens. Ordinarily, I vote Green, unless there is no chance they'll get in (Holyrood constituency vote) or there is no candidate (Westminster vote in Aberdeen South), in which case I vote SNP. Do any of you nerds know if there is a significant chance of the Tories or any other party taking GNorth, or am I safe to back everyone's favourite vegetarian? I'd love to see him as MP, but keeping the Tories out is obviously the priority.

Given that the labour + Tory vote in Glasgow north last time was well short of the SNP total, looks like you are safeto vote green. The greens were miles behind the SNP in 2015 so looks like it wont matter though.

25 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I wouldn't give SLAB or the Tories the slightest whiff of a chance regardless of previous voting %'s, a big cross next to SNP should be the only choice for any YES voter or anti Westminster 2.

We heard all this shite before the Holyrood elections and all it did is enable the bawbags to continually bump their gums about no SNP majority.

You should be fine.

fb27b9079fa6fde50036db3761afd0d2.jpg

Archived