June 8th General Election

Mudder

It is just giving us the option of taking time off without fear of losing our job, as far as I can see. 

Just your home, then.

How many people can go a year with no income, do you reckon?

ETA: Also, what of the inconsiderate relative is still on need of care after twelve months? You know, if they're still alive, or of the legs haven't grown back?

Absolute fantasy that this is in any way designed at helping the hoi polloi - like the promise of a Workers' Rep in every boardroom, from the family friendly party that brought you the TU Act. An act which demands a union receives more than double the mandate from their members than these scum believe entitles them to kill off the poor, disabled and disadvantaged. Fùck 'em.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

There's also the fact that with the Tories currently obliterating workers rights, it can cost as much as £1,200 to bring an unfair dismissal claim, meaning that employers could theoretically bin someone a few months in to their unpaid leave and the chances of that worker being able to afford to take action against them are massively reduced having had no salary for months, having to concentrate on caring for their loved one and having to pay to make the claim. This is an empty tracksuit of a policy, as should be obvious to all but the biggest Tory loonball.

I see Corbyn has shown May up on an ITV Facebook live chat earlier as well. A man who couldn't organise a proper "busy train photo op" on a busy train is looking more competent than her by the day. She really is the Ali Dia of Prime Ministers, and yet, while Dia only fooled Graeme Souness, May is likely to fool millions and millions of oaksoft's and his ilk in to voting for her and providing an even larger majority for her vile party, even though their policies are despicable and she appears to have no concept of genuine human interaction.

What a fucking shambles of a Union we live in.

However, the fees for the tribunal will be paid if you are in receipt of benefits or have an income below £1085 per month so it isn't actually the case that they wouldn't be able to afford it.  I do think that the savings threshold is set far to low when potentially 1/3 of your savings would be consumed by fees.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used holiday in my post at all. There is two or three fundamental points I'm disagreeing with here.

Theresa May and many Conservative's voting record when it comes to workers rights is hardly brilliant. This cynical attempt to rewrite the Tories as heores of workers rights by them and the press is nauseating.

Most workers simply can't afford to do this, who exactly does this benefit the most? It certainly isn't the average worker.

People shouldn't need to voluntarily take up to a year off work unpaid so their relatives aren't 'left to rot in the NHS'.
If the NHS and the care systems weren't so underfunded and undermined by the Conservatives at every opportunity then maybe people wouldn't have to become full time carers without the adequate knowledge or training to provide the best possible care for their relatives.

14 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just your home, then.

How many people can go a year with no income, do you reckon?

ETA: Also, what of the inconsiderate relative is still on need of care after twelve months? You know, if they're still alive, or of the legs haven't grown back?

Absolute fantasy that this is in any way designed at helping the hoi polloi - like the promise of a Workers' Rep in every boardroom, from the family friendly party that brought you the TU Act. An act which demands a union receives more than double the mandate from their members than these scum believe entitles them to kill off the poor, disabled and disadvantaged. Fùck 'em.

I would think that the same amount of people can afford it now as would be able to afford it if the right was in place.  This isn't about the finances of the decision but the ability to make the decision without your employer being able to use it as an excuse to sack you.  It would be an employment right, not an in-work benefit.

When my mother died a couple of years ago I fortunate in that my company afforded me in excess of 6 weeks unpaid leave whilst she was dying. I would have resigned and lost my employment if they never. This snippet of legislation would make such absences an employment right. Tories increasing our rights instead of removing them?   

The right to take unpaid leave for a year - the workers will be rushing to take advantage if that . . .  

Decent employers do the decent thing not because the law tells them to but because it is the socially responsible thing to do. Some employers are more than willing to offer paid leave in that situation because not only is it the right thing to do it also makes good business sense in terms if employee retention and motivation.

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yes, quite. I was surprised not all employers do. It should be compulsory.

Is this proposed legislation not headed in that direction? They did announce 2 weeks leave for the death of a child as part of all this.

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The right to take unpaid leave for a year - the workers will be rushing to take advantage if that . . .  

Decent employers do the decent thing not because the law tells them to but because it is the socially responsible thing to do. Some employers are more than willing to offer paid leave in that situation because not only is it the right thing to do it also makes good business sense in terms if employee retention and motivation.

I agree. At least, if the new legislation goes through, then these "decent things to do" will be a right and unscrupulous employers will have to comply.

5 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Is it just me who wants div to bring in a filter so when Oaksoft types 'lefties' it replaces it with 'people who arent right wing selfish tory scumbags' ?

I'm not sure about that, but I would suggest that instead of typing out paragraphs of his long winded, selfish, arrogant, repugnant bullshit, he just writes "I'm all right, Jack" for all his posts on this section of the board, the benefit of which would be two fold:

For him: would save typing time and we'd all know exactly what he meant anyway.

For us: We wouldn't have to read specifics of his disgusting attitudes, and eventually he'd be banned for spamming.

Win / Win.

BBC still peddling this myth that the SNP helped the Tories win the last election :rolleyes:

The SNP scored a stunning success in the 2015 general election. Just a year after being frustrated by the vote to remain part of the UK, the party nearly swept the board in Scotland, taking 56 of the 59 Scottish parliamentary seats, including 40 out of 41 seats from Labour. The crushing defeat of Labour in Scotland - thought to have paid a price for campaigning alongside the Conservatives in support of the union - played a role in enabling David Cameron to return to power with a clear majority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39861420

I've no idea what I pay, to be honest. I don't earn a huge amount, but would happily pay an extra 10% of earnings over, say, £10k if it is spent to alleviate poverty and help those in need.

Corbyn's Manifesto pledge to take 45% income tax on earnings over £80k seems eminently fair and sensible.

You'd have to be a greedy b*****d to think that you need those extra few grand to add to your already massive salary more than people need unemployment or disability benefit, or the developing World needs aid, from wealthy countries like Britain. (Just as an example of the sort of things taxes are, and should, be spent on).

If you're taking about paying for people to care for incapacitated or sick dependents, the figure is going to be absolutely minute as a percentage of tax revenues. Struggle to see why anyone would be so arsed as to argue against it.

Yeah, sure. The nation's economy, rather than your own personal wealth, is your main motivator I'm sure.

Next time the Tories (or anyone else) propose a tax cut for the wealthy I'm sure you'll be on here stressing about whether or not it has been costed...

I've said how much it would cost. A minute amount, in the scheme of things. Certainly less than your team spend on weapons designed to erase life on the planet, for instance.

Weapons? Tax cuts for the wealthy? FFS focus [emoji38]

Where exactly did you detail how much a person in this situation would be paid? In your previous post you admitted you had no idea what it would cost.

"minute amount" is not a number.

ETA. In fact on reflection, save yourself some effort bud. Dont bother coming back with a number. This is just going to be an enormous waste of my time talking to you. [emoji38]

Go and enjoy your day.

How can I come up with a number? I don't have access to Treasury figures you massive cretin.

By your argument it's impossible to suggest any progressive change unless you have access to a small army of Civil Servants.

Go on then, seeing as you know the figures... tell me exactly how much it would cost and why it's unaffordable.

The BBC are going into overdrive with the 'Too wee, too poor, too stupid' routine.  Only difference is that this time they are disparaging the whole of the UK in order to rubbish Labours manifesto. 

Archived