The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Random question but I'm gonna be in Dublin next week when the games on. Does anyone know of a sports bar in the city centre that'd likely show it?

The Woolshed or the Living Room will almost certainly be showing the game, both just off O'Connell St (north end)

49 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

The Woolshed or the Living Room will almost certainly be showing the game, both just off O'Connell St (north end)

Nice one man, both are close to where I'm staying so that's great thanks.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My first ever trip to Cyprus was to Limassol where me and the wife went up the Troodos Mountains with two gay Scousers. Those were much simpler times.

Is that code for something?

6 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Delighted to get through what was unquestionably a tricky tie. For a long spell of the tie last night, it didn't look to be on the cards. However as McInnes said, our fitness showed big time later in the game. On a side note, I fully agree we looked under cooked, the same as against Fola Esch last year.

The defence got a lot of deserved criticism last week but they looked a lot more stable last night, much more maturely led by Reynolds. It is frustrating as he seems to go through phases of shakiness then stability without any rhyme or reason.

Stewart looks a promising player for us, took his goal well and tried to be intelligent. Albeit, he could do with developing his right foot in the way Hayes did when here. A few times last night he would have benefitted from hitting the byline rather than cutting inside. Nonetheless, positive signs and his workrate was good defensively.

GMS was beginning to frustrate a lot but took his goal well. It's going to take time to get used to him - he's like Niall McGinn but with even more inconsistent end product. McLean looked better than last week but still will need to grow next tie.

The two outstanding players for us last night were Shinnie and Christie. Shinnie's midfield display was immense. Drew so many fouls, distributed play well and drove the team forward plenty. A true leading by example performance. Ryan Christie, what can I say, it's getting to a man crush stage. He's immense. What a player. Wonderful display, played where he is best, central behind the striker.

Tough tie in the next round but looking forward to it. Safe trip home for those Red Army in Herzegovina.

Greg will be a tremendous player for you. His game definitely isn't about going to the byline on his left, although he can do that.

He's far more dangerous on the inside right or floating about off a striker. Creator and scorer. A joy to watch ( as is Christie).

Fuckin yas boys. Been away for the last few days, saw the min-by-min come thru on my phone and was bouncing around Berlin all night. Cyprus is like the dream away day. Went to Limassol a couple years back for a uni trip, beautiful spot. Great beaches, we went all over the Troodos mountain etc it's worth hiring a car and exploring if you're there for more than the night of the game. Nicosia is incredible too. Go over to the Turkish side and explore the markets/restaurants/mosques/etc. Beautiful place. Wish I could make it across. Relatively winnable tie too, but we've performed to our seeding yet again, so I'm not as fussed about this tie. If we lose its no shame on us. For what it's worth, I think we will win though. f**k I love the Dons. Berlin is class too though eh!! [emoji481][emoji483][emoji894][emoji322]

Thats us home from a cracking away trip. Wonderful result from the Dandies.

Right, there was a bit of bother as was well reported. I was not anywhere near it so can't comment on what happened. However, as this was my first trip to the Balkans i was fascinated to learn about the sectarianism from the Croats n Split and the ethnic Croats in Siroki. I was in my twenties during the Ethnic Cleansing wars in the region so the guys i met who were around my age would all likely have been combatants or at the very least have been affected by the conflict. There were horrific crimes committed by all sides on a scale not seen in Europe since the Second world war.

I enjoyed the company of the Siroki ultras, drinking in their clubhouse pre match, having a laugh and a good time. It started to become clear after the conversation turned to politics that these men had extreme right wing views. they idolised Hitler, hated Orthodox Serbs and Muslims. They proudly told me they had formed alliances across Europe describing themselves as some kind of Christian defence force protecting the continent from non christian immigrants. I was uncomfortable as f**k and in time honored style, made my excuses and left.

it was saddening to hear the views of these men and their tales of violence surrounding their support for their team. The football club was the focus of and vehicle for a deep sectarian hatred. Bosnia Herzegovina was described to me as a mini post Tito Yugoslavia, and that civil war was an ever present possibility. Almost every match these genuinely scary c***s attended was a fight. At the cup final they won to get into the Euro competition, an opposition fan was murdered. 

We have to do more in our country to remove political, religious or even "cultural" associations with our football teams. My taxi driver in Split immediately said that his team, Hadjuk liked Celtic, because they were Catholic, like the Croats. They did not like Rangers because they were the protestants. Then he listed three or four Croats who play or have played for Rangers. When i asked him why Rangers were not liked, even though they had a much closer link to Croatia. he said, "yes. of course, but they are the protestants". 

Having seen a brief insight into the mindset of full on bigots, who live every day with fear and hatred, I couldn't help but compare it with the much less intense and insidious sectarianism that still attaches itself to Scottish football. Songs that glorify paramilitary groups, recount old battles and wars are not on. Neither at club not international level. Scots/English, Catholic/Protestant, Nationalist/Loyalists. We will all be better off without it. 

My club has fans from all over the country, i myself am not from the city of Aberdeen. Its daft that we sing anti Glasgow songs when we have lots of Glasgow supporters and get along fine with Thistle. indeed, as individuals on personal levels we all get along at work etc with no regards to the teams we support. i am aware i might be coming across as a bit of an old wifie here, and i am not one for sanitising football. I enjoy the bit of needle and passion our rivalries inspire.

We in Scotland are very lucky to live our lives without the sort fear the balkans were subjected to a single generation ago and that festers still in the region. Sport is a celebration to be enjoyed by all. Enthusiastically, raucously and with barbed humour. The religious and political shite has to go.

We should start by using a National Anthem that  does not reference war with our neighbours. 

Thats us home from a cracking away trip. Wonderful result from the Dandies.
Right, there was a bit of bother as was well reported. I was not anywhere near it so can't comment on what happened. However, as this was my first trip to the Balkans i was fascinated to learn about the sectarianism from the Croats n Split and the ethnic Croats in Siroki. I was in my twenties during the Ethnic Cleansing wars in the region so the guys i met who were around my age would all likely have been combatants or at the very least have been affected by the conflict. There were horrific crimes committed by all sides on a scale not seen in Europe since the Second world war.
I enjoyed the company of the Siroki ultras, drinking in their clubhouse pre match, having a laugh and a good time. It started to become clear after the conversation turned to politics that these men had extreme right wing views. they idolised Hitler, hated Orthodox Serbs and Muslims. They proudly told me they had formed alliances across Europe describing themselves as some kind of Christian defence force protecting the continent from non christian immigrants. I was uncomfortable as f**k and in time honored style, made my excuses and left.
it was saddening to hear the views of these men and their tales of violence surrounding their support for their team. The football club was the focus of and vehicle for a deep sectarian hatred. Bosnia Herzegovina was described to me as a mini post Tito Yugoslavia, and that civil war was an ever present possibility. Almost every match these genuinely scary c***s attended was a fight. At the cup final they won to get into the Euro competition, an opposition fan was murdered. 
We have to do more in our country to remove political, religious or even "cultural" associations with our football teams. My taxi driver in Split immediately said that his team, Hadjuk liked Celtic, because they were Catholic, like the Croats. They did not like Rangers because they were the protestants. Then he listed three or four Croats who play or have played for Rangers. When i asked him why Rangers were not liked, even though they had a much closer link to Croatia. he said, "yes. of course, but they are the protestants". 
Having seen a brief insight into the mindset of full on bigots, who live every day with fear and hatred, I couldn't help but compare it with the much less intense and insidious sectarianism that still attaches itself to Scottish football. Songs that glorify paramilitary groups, recount old battles and wars are not on. Neither at club not international level. Scots/English, Catholic/Protestant, Nationalist/Loyalists. We will all be better off without it. 
My club has fans from all over the country, i myself am not from the city of Aberdeen. Its daft that we sing anti Glasgow songs when we have lots of Glasgow supporters and get along fine with Thistle. indeed, as individuals on personal levels we all get along at work etc with no regards to the teams we support. i am aware i might be coming across as a bit of an old wifie here, and i am not one for sanitising football. I enjoy the bit of needle and passion our rivalries inspire.
We in Scotland are very lucky to live our lives without the sort fear the balkans were subjected to a single generation ago and that festers still in the region. Sport is a celebration to be enjoyed by all. Enthusiastically, raucously and with barbed humour. The religious and political shite has to go.
We should start by using a National Anthem that  does not reference war with our neighbours. 

I find it fascinating. The war in the Balkans is the first major news event I remember being aware of as it happened, but it was only years later I grasped the full magnitude of what happened. Ended up doing a project on the break up of Yugoslavia at uni and found it fascinating and horrifying in equal measures. It's always interesting to look at the political and nationalistic aspects of fan culture in Eastern European football, and how often it is extreme in its views. Really interesting to hear from someone who's been over there and spoken to the fans.

11 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Fuckin yas boys. Been away for the last few days, saw the min-by-min come thru on my phone and was bouncing around Berlin all night. Cyprus is like the dream away day. Went to Limassol a couple years back for a uni trip, beautiful spot. Great beaches, we went all over the Troodos mountain etc it's worth hiring a car and exploring if you're there for more than the night of the game. Nicosia is incredible too. Go over to the Turkish side and explore the markets/restaurants/mosques/etc. Beautiful place. Wish I could make it across. Relatively winnable tie too, but we've performed to our seeding yet again, so I'm not as fussed about this tie. If we lose its no shame on us. For what it's worth, I think we will win though. f**k I love the Dons. Berlin is class too though eh!! emoji481.pngemoji483.pngemoji894.pngemoji322.png

Hopeful too without being too confident. The attacking side of the team is shaping up with moving Christie inside. If we can tighten up the defence and, probably not popular but, be more defensive in the home tie we've a decent chance.

Any score with Limassol Nil will be a good result on Thursday

On 7/20/2017 at 14:32, Hammer Jag said:

Fair play. Mostar really is a stunning place. When I heard Aberdeen were drawn to play nearby, I was thinking 'there can't be many better places to watch your team abroad'. Hope the Dons over there can enjoy the rest of their trip in peace.

Any locals I came across when I was there last year were extremely welcoming and many of them were especially hospitable towards me once they realised I was Scottish.

It is indeed a lovely place. Everyone me met were sound.

Marvellous  outdoor bar/shack at the side of the river which was open 24/7. Unreal.

Another bar we were drinking in pre-match had a wonderful jukebox with 100s of credits preloaded in it.

Loud as fck. Very confusing for tourist wandering by with the likes of Pixies & Jesus And Mary Chain about knocking them off their feet. :lol:

These trips are nae exactly relaxing though. On the go the whole time for 4 days solid. Rattling a fair bit today.

Result as required, so worth it in the end.

On 7/21/2017 at 07:04, glasgow-sheep said:

Flights already either sold out or north of £200 to get out to Cyprus. Glad I booked up pronto. Not sure how many we'll have out there

I booked up last Sunday.

Out for a week with the bint. Wed to Wed. In Larnaca next to a suspiciously named establishment 'Club Angels'

15 minute drive from airport, 50 minute walk to stadium. 5 min walk to beach. Surround by pubs. Rather happy with this location.

I note quite a few people i know are going to the match who i would not normally associate with following AFC in Europe. Maybe we'll have around 5 or 600? Maybe more.

From the highlights and other footage I have seen from Zaria Bălți and some other relatively recent matches, I am quite impressed by how slick and quick Apollon Limassol look from middle to front. They seem to like getting the ball wide and isolating the opposition full-backs; if so, we will be needing Logan and especially Considine to perform well over both games - I wouldn't be surprised to see them specifically target the latter for his lack of pace. Alex da Silva, the number 10, looks like their main danger-man and seems to be the guy they play through. Looks like they carry more than one goal threat from outside the box, too. 

Clearly going to be a step up in quality from Siroki Brijeg, so hopefully no repeats of our first-leg performance.

Would be pretty happy if kept a clean sheet in this one regardless and take our chances over there.

I'm also glad Stockley is an option for the home leg this time, although he'd need to be careful as I bet the Cypriots will make the Eastern Europeans look like bastions of fair play and sportsmanship in comparison.

1-0 Dons

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 hours ago, d31 said:

Pleased to see its another Scandanavian ref for this one though.

Think it will be the same starting XI after today with Stockley and O'Connor keeping their spots

I don't trust O'Connor in the slightest against any team bigger than Ross County or Partick Thistle.

Get Kari in, keep AoC on the bench.

As someone posted earlier, any score that ends 'Limassol nil' would be superb.

1 hour ago, Nigel Pepper said:

That's fantastic!

I'm worried about how confident I am!!

I'm more worried about you being sent off than I am about Stockley

Archived