The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

40 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

There was mention earlier about clubs like Limassol finding foreign imports easily and questioning why clubs like Aberdeen don't do likewise. From an international standpoint, flooding the league with foreigners has been done before and didn't work for the national team and to be fair, one of the brightest sparks of the game was Scott Wright when he came on.

Guessing that Aberdeen can pay the same wages as Cypriot teams, so id say the climate plays a big part, f**k playing in the pishing rain when you can get same money sunning it up in Cyprus 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Having watched the game, agree with this 100 per cent. Could tell pretty quickly that Aberdeen were never going to get through, Stewart/Logan consistently done by Jander (that first goal in particular...) and the first half hoofball up to Stockley was predictable.

As much as the heat was a factor, the fitness of some players was dubious to say the least.  Greg Stewart in particular looks to be carrying excess baggage, and looked completely fucked about 50 minutes in.  And Kenny McLean's first touch was a tackle (the keeper would have at least been tested if that through ball from Maynard found anyone but McLean).

There was mention earlier about clubs like Limassol finding foreign imports easily and questioning why clubs like Aberdeen don't do likewise. From an international standpoint, flooding the league with foreigners has been done before and didn't work for the national team and to be fair, one of the brightest sparks of the game was Scott Wright when he came on.

Frankly, f**k the National team, I could not care less.

If seeing Aberdeen in particular and Scottish clubs like Hearts, Hibs & the Saints do better in Europe meant filling them with Eastern European mercenaries at the expense of "local lads" then show me where to vote for it?

In the meantime start copying whatever it is they do in Macedonia and Croatia to produce good national players and we can re-stock with Jocks in 10 - 15 years time

Same year strachan took celtic to last 16 of the champions league and rangers made the uefa cup final, scotland had a cracking season in europe that year, amazing the downturn in following seasons, 

The same season that Scotland beat France in Paris too :(

Another decent summer of away trips. The Dons were pretty shite tonight, just didn't seem at it all.
Anyway, I have enjoyed the run to the 3rd qualification round again and I have avoided getting battered or pepper sprayed.
Happy days.

17 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Same year strachan took celtic to last 16 of the champions league and rangers made the uefa cup final, scotland had a cracking season in europe that year, amazing the downturn in following seasons, 

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The same season that Scotland beat France in Paris too :(

Same season that QOS made the Scottish Cup final :P Can`t quite remember who we beat in the semi :lol:

Agree that Scottish clubs spend way too much on pish from the English lower leagues but not really buying that clubs like Motherwell and Saints could snap up hunners of talent from Eastern European leagues because they'd pay a lot more tbh.

It's just guesswork.

I wonder if Apollon fancy swapping Jander for Andy Considine.

Who needs a Brazilian left-back that can glide past people, when you can have a centre-half that takes four touches to get the ball under control, before hoofing it somewhere hoping for a red shirt.

10 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Guessing that Aberdeen can pay the same wages as Cypriot teams, so id say the climate plays a big part, f**k playing in the pishing rain when you can get same money sunning it up in Cyprus 

I think you're guessing wrong there, Cypriot teams have signed guys who have been at English premier league teams so would imagine their wage structure far  outstrips what Aberdeen can offer. Horrible heat and too early in the season big contributers to Aberdeen going out.

I'm stating the obvious but the only way for our sides to avoid playing these qualifiers in the future is to start winning them for a couple of seasons.

I don't think starting the season any earlier would make much difference either.

Archived