The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same old same in QR3, same mistakes and same issues. Three very weak goals conceded through sloppiness and individual errors, utterly profligate in front of goal, team freezing away from home and a conservative team that gives away possession too often.

Simply put we can have no complaints about going out, only one team turned up last night. Not much positives can be taken from the game - with Scott Wright's contribution proving the exception to that rule.

Team lined up totally wrongly, on a night where we needed an experienced head, Arnason was left on the bench. For me, he should have started instead of Reynolds who shelled the ball long all night.

Our midfield just never turned up whatsoever. Shinnie at least out some work in and Christie was well marshalled. GMS was poor, Stewart anonymous and Kenny McLean put in a shockingly bad display. He's come back from summer a few KGs overweight and it shows in his form. I don't mean to have a go at one player because the team as a whole was poor, but there's absolutely no excuse to return from summer like that and let it reduce your ability as a footballer. None whatsoever.

Could talk till the cows come home about the goals lost. In reality, we missed the defensive side that Hayes and McGinn developed and brought to us, GMS and Stewart need a lot of work there.

Not a good night on the pitch at all, or in the dugout. Heard differing versions of events off the park so having not been there, it's best not to comment.

Bang on as usual BBD.

The lack of continental-street-savy and experience protecting a lead in Europe really showed last night. Tactically (and in the the starting 11) we seemed caught in two minds and we ended up neither defending our lead effectively nor going for a killer away goal. That coupled with too many players not turning up in Cyprus has us all sulking today.

All very disappointing. That mob were very, very beatable - the first 30mins last week showed that we are capable of blowing them away. But we somehow conspired to skull a great opportunity into the rough much like Maribor last year.

The 10 minute sluggish start to the second half last week has proved very, very costly. Instead of nursing a 2 or 3 goal cushion last night, we got rinsed in no mans land fearing the away goal rule.

One [much maligned] word.

Bottle

...although I have to qualify that

Over and over again, when the chips are down, we have shit it. Cup semi finals, opportunities to go top of the league, EL games, last year's LC Final and even that 2nd place decider vs Motherwell

I don't think Deek realises a) how good a manager he is or b) how good his choice of players are and as a result he is over cautious and his teams' profligacy is a direct result of that caution seeping into the players psyche

or maybe we're just a little bit shire

What do I know

Poor Aiberdeen fans having to suffer all that goading....

"The plumber, from Turriff, Aberdeenshire, said: “Rival fans goaded us through the game"

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

Poor Aiberdeen fans having to suffer all that goading....

"The plumber, from Turriff, Aberdeenshire, said: “Rival fans goaded us through the game"

There's a lot of it about, didn't Hibs fans goad some new team's fans at Hampden a wee while back?

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:08, tarapoa said:

I wonder if Apollon fancy swapping Jander for Andy Considine.

Who needs a Brazilian left-back that can glide past people, when you can have a centre-half that takes four touches to get the ball under control, before hoofing it somewhere hoping for a red shirt.

That won't work when we're away, surely?

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That won't work when we're away, surely?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Doesn't work full stop.

I set them up...

3 hours ago, TheTaxMan said:

There's a lot of it about, didn't Hibs fans goad some new team's fans at Hampden a wee while back?

A certain teams fans were recently goaded by a sevco shirt in Sunderland.

Poor performance from the dons which we only turned up 30 minutes at the end. A missed opportunity but maybe too much changes to squad hurt us.

Thought the stewards was heavy handed throughout the game - didn't know if Aberdeen fans started trouble at end but I did witness their fans trying to get in our end after game. Didn't like the person on the pitch chucking things at us either.

Pepper spray is horrible though, felt a strange burning with eyes and wanting to be sick and I wasn't near the spray so can only imagine those sprayed close up felt.

Just back into Edinburgh now and Hamilton today

The stewards caused it - our fans ran towards their fans at FT to respond to the verbals and gesturing (which happens very often in the SPFL) and they lost the plot.

If there was anyone who went over just to kick the steward then it's a poor show, but AFC fans calling fans c***s who defended their mates who were getting a kicking need to give themselves a fucking shake.

The stewarding aggression should be the narrative here yet you have plebs making nonsensical blanket statements and doing the Weegia's job for them.

The stewards caused it - our fans ran towards their fans at FT to respond to the verbals and gesturing (which happens very often in the SPFL) and they lost the plot.

If there was anyone who went over just to kick the steward then it's a poor show, but AFC fans calling fans c***s who defended their mates who were getting a kicking need to give themselves a fucking shake.

The stewarding aggression should be the narrative here yet you have plebs making nonsensical blanket statements and doing the Weegia's job for them.

Has anyone been doing that? What I've read it's been pretty unanimous from Dons fans who were there criticising the stewards.

Has anyone been doing that? What I've read it's been pretty unanimous from Dons fans who were there criticising the stewards.

Fair bit of stuff on Twitter from people seem to think the video that came out shows the whole thing, and that the fans were c***s.

In all seriousness whats the fans and clubs take on all this?

No doubt the Cypriot stewards were a shower of arseholes but was there similar arsehole behaviour from the Aberdeen fans before and after they steamed in?

19 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

No doubt the Cypriot stewards were a shower of arseholes but was there similar arsehole behaviour from the Aberdeen fans before and after they steamed in?

Its actually good to see the club back the fans with this stuff. I was at the 'dens park riots' a few years ago and the sun I think it was spouting all sorts of claims which miraculously in this modern age, was not caught on any cameras. Didnt stop Lawell laying in to us though.

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Its actually good to see the club back the fans with this stuff. I was at the 'dens park riots' a few years ago and the sun I think it was spouting all sorts of claims which miraculously in this modern age, was not caught on any cameras. Didnt stop Lawell laying in to us though.

I was there too, it was basically three or four drunken fannies exchanging punches at the concourse/pie shops at half time, not like the S*n to make shit up and exaggarate it though.

From what I saw at the back of the stand, it was no different to what happens at Pittodrie/Ibrox/Parkhead by the segregation barrier when a goal goes in or at full time.

One of the (non arsehole) stewards calmly said to us not to react to the home fans goading. I'd say our fans involved perhaps neglected to remember how reactionary the stewarding/policing can be in these countries when they went to goad the home fans.

Once a punch is thrown by a steward (who are there to keep things safe remember) and they see their mate getting a smack for little or no reason, people will inevitably get involved to protect them, whether it's in a stadium or in the street. Human nature.

If any of our fans did initiate violence then they can get to f**k. The reaction of the stewards afterwards was completely unjustified regardless, and for anyone who saw it all to suggest otherwise is scandalous. Don't want to say too much but some of our group were on the receiving end of completely unprovoked aggression from one of them, and I heard umpteen similar stories later on.

Have to say though, there were instances of our fans fighting each other elsewhere in our section which is proper scummy behaviour. Would also note that the atmosphere in our end deteriorated in the second half, people loudly arguing over things that had nothing to do with the game, when the team needed proper backing.

Archived