The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I have a feeling that McInnes will stick with O'Connor and Reynolds, with Arnason on the bench. I could obviously be wrong, mind. Same starting team from a week ago wouldn't surprise me. 

I actually think O'Connor could play a holding midfield role - there was something approaching the Gobi Desert between our back four and the rest of the team in much of the second half of the Siroki home match and AOC and Arnason are both options to fill this in the absence of The Rat.

Given priority at home is not conceding - wouldn't surprise me if he goes with that, given Tansey's strengths seem to be more forward-thinking, which will up a welcome upgrade on what The Rat gave us in 80% of domestic fixtures.

Just now, tarapoa said:

I actually think O'Connor could play a holding midfield role - there was something approaching the Gobi Desert between our back four and the rest of the team in much of the second half of the Siroki home match and AOC and Arnason are both options to fill this in the absence of The Rat.

Given priority at home is not conceding - wouldn't surprise me if he goes with that, given Tansey's strengths seem to be more forward-thinking, which will up a welcome upgrade on what The Rat gave us in 80% of domestic fixtures.

O'Connor did a decent enough job in holding midfield when necessary at the end of last season, but I'm not sure it would work here without switching a few other things around. It would probably require shunting Christie wide and dropping Stewart, neither of which I'd be too keen on doing after the second half in Herzegovina. I don't think McInnes will be deviating from the 4-2-3-1 at this stage, either. 

We will definitely have to be careful not to leave a big gap between defence and midfield, though; I would expect a technically better team than Siroki, like Apollon, to exploit that much more ruthlessly. Although I occasionally bemoaned his style of play in some domestic fixtures, Jack generally played this role very competently for us in Europe. 

I got the feeling from O'Connor's pre-match press conference on Red TV yesterday with his comments about new signings having to 'play their way into the team' (paraphrasing) that he expected to be starting this one, but I'm likely just reading too much into that. 

5 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Good luck tonight lads, hopefully take a win and a clean sheet over to Cyprus.

How many tickets have been sold for tonight ?

700 tickets left this morning apparently, unsure how many Apollon fans have tickets. guessing just under the 20,000 mark for total sold

1 minute ago, Dominique Malonga said:

That's a great crowd it has to be said.

yeah, very pleasing to see. Many perceive this as our most winnable tie at this stage on paper and some Aberdeen fans appear (perhaps overly) confident. I have no idea how much Apollon's allocation is however and how much that could eat in to total attendance.

36 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

O'Connor did a decent enough job in holding midfield when necessary at the end of last season, but I'm not sure it would work here without switching a few other things around. It would probably require shunting Christie wide and dropping Stewart, neither of which I'd be too keen on doing after the second half in Herzegovina. I don't think McInnes will be deviating from the 4-2-3-1 at this stage, either. 

We will definitely have to be careful not to leave a big gap between defence and midfield, though; I would expect a technically better team than Siroki, like Apollon, to exploit that much more ruthlessly. Although I occasionally bemoaned his style of play in some domestic fixtures, Jack generally played this role very competently for us in Europe. 

I got the feeling from O'Connor's pre-match press conference on Red TV yesterday with his comments about new signings having to 'play their way into the team' (paraphrasing) that he expected to be starting this one, but I'm likely just reading too much into that. 

I was thinking he might put Kari in front of the back four, although as you say, it would require a bit of reshuffling.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to get a bit tingly now.  

yeah, very pleasing to see. Many perceive this as our most winnable tie at this stage on paper and some Aberdeen fans appear (perhaps overly) confident. I have no idea how much Apollon's allocation is however and how much that could eat in to total attendance.

They'll be a handy side, how good I don't know but hopefully Aberdeen can get through to the Play-off. It's always better for the atmosphere if there's a decent away crowd, Malmo and Brondby brought over 3-400 to Easter Road, both impressive vocally with Malmo having more reason to be :lol:

A couple of question marks over team, namely centre back and centre forward. Will Arnason start and who goes upfront, Rooney or Stockley? Convinced it wont be Maynard. I also don't think it is impossible that we see the midfield reshuffled with either O'Connor holding midfield or Tansey brought in with one of the three attacking mdifielders sacrificed. As good as he was last season, Considine sticks out at times in left back against quality opposition, Celtic clearly targeted him at times. Lets hope he is up to it

52 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

700 tickets left this morning apparently, unsure how many Apollon fans have tickets. guessing just under the 20,000 mark for total sold

At least we're not putting the away fans in the South stand for these games. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was watching a few dozen Real Sociedad fans rattle around in the normal away end when the rest of the ground was sold out.

3 hours ago, Kneetrembler said:

The Singing Section in the Merkland have tried their best to generate atmosphere, with limited success. I think tonight will be good though. The Almaty game at Pittodrie was one of the best for noise in years. First Leg games are not so intense, however I expect there will be a lot of excitement in the old ground this evening.

Oh What a Sight!

Watch the Dandies on a Thursday Night....

The club should have had more balls and moved the family section to the beach end while getting the merkland stand a standing only like what Celtic have and that would create the atmopshere needed. Hopefully the new stadium will get the go ahead and we can create something of a section of safe standing that will create this atmosphere

5 minutes ago, Milners said:

The club should have had more balls and moved the family section to the beach end while getting the merkland stand a standing only like what Celtic have and that would create the atmopshere needed. Hopefully the new stadium will get the go ahead and we can create something of a section of safe standing that will create this atmosphere

Away games are much better when you can stand. Pittodrie has been taken over by sitters. You even get folk trying to sit in section s:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I really like O'Connor in defence but as a holding midfielder I wasn't a fan of him at the end of the season although I think he will risk Arnason though

All we need now is the the DJ to play the O'Connor song (earth wind and fire - September) which was sung for majority of the game against Siroki :)

Apollon Limassol v Aberdeen
Thursday 3rd August, 8pm KO (6pm BST)
AEK Arena, Larnaca

Tickets for this match will be available online from 7am on Friday 28th July at afc.co.uk/eTickets, in person from the Pittodrie Ticket Office and over the phone by calling 01224 63 1903 from 10am on Friday 28th July.

Ticket Prices

General Admission €20

Please note, no concession pricing is available for this match.

Supporters can purchase one ticket per account and must provide the following details at the point of purchase:

Passport Number
E-mail Address
Mobile Number
Departure Airport & Flight Number
Return Airport & Flight Number
Hotel Address
Arrival Date
Departure Date

Ticket Collections

Tickets will be made available for collection from Pittodrie for supporters who buy their tickets from the Pittodrie Ticket Office.

10 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Away games are much better when you can stand. Pittodrie has been taken over by sitters. You even get folk trying to sit in section s:rolleyes:

As much as I hate the Green Brigade for the political stuff the noise they make is fantastic - before the Green Brigade from the late 90s onwards the atmosphere at Celtic was worse than Pittodrie as they only made a noise once they scored

Should also mention Motherwell Bois and even St Johnstone had a group that makes more noise than what we have. 

1 minute ago, Milners said:

As much as I hate the Green Brigade for the political stuff the noise they make is fantastic - before the Green Brigade from the late 90s onwards the atmosphere at Celtic was worse than Pittodrie as they only made a noise once they scored - 

Hopefully we can get a safe standing section without the politics

Archived