Dundee Utd vs St Mirren

Huge match at Tannadice next Saturday. 

Having just watched Utd struggle to a point at hopeless Ayr, there is nothing there that suggests we should be going up to Dundee with any fear whatsoever. We performed well at Falkirk today and hopefully that will carry on into next weekend as our fun of good form carries on. Utd look like a side threadbare in terms of both personnel and ideas and hopefully our pace can exploit them. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too.

First twenty minutes today they really came at us and could have been two or three up. Look a decent side. In the end we could have pinched it with a decent goal disallowed however a draw was a fair result in the end. Was impressed by their number 42 magennis on the right wing

United always seem to rag a result when they need it however having seen both in the last two weeks St.Mirren are certainly the better side at the moment

3 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

First twenty minutes today they really came at us and could have been two or three up. Look a decent side. In the end we could have pinched it with a decent goal disallowed however a draw was a fair result in the end. Was impressed by their number 42 magennis on the right wing

Kyle Magennis is a gem of a young player. He's been doing a job playing out of position, and done us and himself proud.

His natural position is central midfield, and he could step in to replace Mallan if he leaves come the end of the season.

Watching Alba was difficult tonight, as both Ayr and the Terrors were fucking abysmal.

Logic says that we'll fucking destroy them.  They have nothing to play for, we are one of the form teams in the league over the last 10 or so games.  

But this is St Mirren.  

Utd 1-4 Saints

(I'd take a point).  

He's only 18 and is a centre mid but he plays out the to accommodate Mallan and McGinn. He took a few games to find his feet there but it says a lot about the boy that he looks comfortable there now. Definitely one to look out for in the future

St.Mirren seem to be a high impact team at the moment. In the Challenge Cup final and from what I heard about yesterday they are great at battering you for half an hour but seem to dip after that (feel free to disagree I'm just basing this on what I have seen recently). 

The good news for St.Mirren is that we crumble at the sign of any real pressure. Mentally, physically and tactically this is as poor a United team I have ever seen so it still amazes me that sides come to Tannadice and sit in deep (I'm looking at you Falkirk). 

Have a go and you will win.

12 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

St.Mirren seem to be a high impact team at the moment. In the Challenge Cup final and from what I heard about yesterday they are great at battering you for half an hour but seem to dip after that (feel free to disagree I'm just basing this on what I have seen recently). 

The good news for St.Mirren is that we crumble at the sign of any real pressure. Mentally, physically and tactically this is as poor a United team I have ever seen so it still amazes me that sides come to Tannadice and sit in deep (I'm looking at you Falkirk). 

I think that's fair. Apart from the Ayr game recently, we don't tend to dominate games for the full 90. Even against Morton they had a decent period before we blew them away in the second half. I think the difference just now is that when we have our periods of pressure we do tend to score. However, we are not a clean sheet team, you will get chances and will probably score.

42 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Quite true. We have two or three extended spells of absolute dominance per match. Don't think there's a team in Scotland who could sustain the pace we play at in spells for a full 90 minutes. 

One of the biggest compliments that have been coming from opposition fans is that they seem genuinely worried about our pace. The first 20 minutes yesterday and the first half hour of the second half we were dragging Falkirk all over the park. 

There's no danger of us sitting in. We simply can't do it. If we go down, we'll go down swinging. 

2-0 going on 5 for St mirren. 

This is the worst United team and manager I have ever seen.

I'm going all the way back to 1990. I actually can't remember a worse team than this one.

I'm at the stage where I either want us to win or get battered 5-0 so the management get a photocopy of McNamara's P45 post-it note.

He's only 18 and is a centre mid but he plays out the to accommodate Mallan and McGinn. He took a few games to find his feet there but it says a lot Goethe boy that he looks comfortable there now. Definitely one to look out for in the future

One if the reasons I was impressed by him was that he was up against luke Leahy who is a very good player and that's one of the toughest matches I've seen luke have to contend with. Took him for speed and turned him inside out a few times.

Don't disagree with you stumigoo. Thus is one of the challenges we will have in the play offs is Houston setting us up defensively away from home when we actually have the pace and firepower in our squad to have a go. It might work for us if the first leg is away

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Don't disagree with you stumigoo. Thus is one of the challenges we will have in the play offs is Houston setting us up defensively away from home when we actually have the pace and firepower in our squad to have a go. It might work for us if the first leg is away

In all likelihood (according to my mystical powers of prediction) you will face us in the first leg at Tannadice and that will probably end in a score draw. If you do 'have a go' at home then you will probably run out 3-0 winners.

As an extra prediction, you will defeat Dundee 14-1 on aggregate in the final playoff round (Mark Kerr will under-hit a backpass and give away the consolation goal in the 93rd minute of the second leg as a way of saying goodbye to football)

We need to go here and get a result against a team on a pretty poor run as as bad as Ayr are I fully expect them (like I did Raith) to beat a Morton team who appear to have totally run their race for the season. Hopefully another great support although given this is a fair trek and our third road trip in 11 days it's bound to be down on the last couple of games. Positive mental attitude from minute one and cut out the silly defensive mistakes and we should take something but a win would be massive for us.

In response to the above comment saying United have nothing to play for, surely this game is enormous for United due to the massive advantage finishing second has? Or have any thoughts of sneaking up via the play offs disappeared (both among the fans but more importantly the players/manager)?

Archived