Radio shows

Klanky

What do you listen to?

What would you recommend?

I really enjoy Vic Gallowy.

Roddy Hart can be hit and miss.

I get annoyed at Billy Sloan talking too much and repeating the same stuff between every record.

During the day I normally have 6Music on.

17 minutes ago, Klanky said:

What do you listen to?

What would you recommend?

I really enjoy Vic Gallowy.

Roddy Hart can be hit and miss.

I get annoyed at Billy Sloan talking too much and repeating the same stuff between every record.

During the day I normally have 6Music on.

Don't mind Galloway and Hart - quite like Billy Sloan as well - he's been playing a couple of singles that I played on, so good on him.

That boy Gideon Coe often plays some interesting stuff.

Ken Bruce and Jeremy Vine shows probably my favourites as soon as Steve Wright comes on though the channel promptly changed, What a useless f**ker that is.On a side note my works van gets the travel news from bbc radio Cumbria.The other day it came on to tell you that there was no reported problems in the area.What the f**k is the point of that.

Steve Wright is horrendous. A fat mess who talks/sings all over the end of songs, rarely bothers to say who the artist is, has terrible sycophants in the studio with him, and channels the whole Smashy and Nicey style of DJ.

Had the misfortune to listen to something he calls 'Serious Jockin' a couple of weeks ago - was skin crawlingly awful patter..

I usually listen to radio 6. Shaun Keavney in particular is an example of how it should be done.

Marc Riley's show is usually great. Also a fan of Guy Garvey's Finest Hour, but its not as good since they've moved it from Sunday 10pm to Sunday at 2pm. I'm also a big fan of Mike Ritchie's excellent americana show on Celtic Music Radio on Sunday afternoons (4pm - 6pm).

Other than that I'll listen to Cerys on a Sunday morning if I can be arsed but don't make much of an effort to do so. Used to enjoy Bob Harris but he turned really dull and uninteresting when they moved him to the 3am slot at weekends. Best thing for him was finally pulling the plug on his weekend show. It used to be a great show for country, americana and some real curios. In the end it was MOR tosh.

Big fan of Radio 4 for non-music output.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:45, pittsburgh phil said:

Steve Wright is horrendous. A fat mess who talks/sings all over the end of songs, rarely bothers to say who the artist is, has terrible sycophants in the studio with him, and channels the whole Smashy and Nicey style of DJ.

Had the misfortune to listen to something he calls 'Serious Jockin' a couple of weeks ago - was skin crawlingly awful patter..

I usually listen to radio 6. Shaun Keavney in particular is an example of how it should be done.

Ffs, the whole point if serious jockin is  it is not to be taken serious, it's a bit if light relief on a Friday afternoon. I love Steve Wright have done since Radio 1, but Ken Bruce is a joy

I listen to Chris Evans when getting ready for work in the morning and I usually stick on a bit of Absolute 80s in the kitchen when I'm cooking my tea.

My favourite radio show of all time was Mark Radcliffe's "Out On Blue Six". This was on Radio 1 for an hour late on Monday nights back in the early 90s. He played the likes of The Ramones, Iggy Pop and The New York Dolls at a time when these bands were pretty much forgotten. I used to listen to John Peel but I have to say that he played plenty of absolute shite alongside the good stuff.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 19/04/2017 at 19:35, BallochSonsFan said:

Marc Riley's show is usually great. Also a fan of Guy Garvey's Finest Hour, but its not as good since they've moved it from Sunday 10pm to Sunday at 2pm. I'm also a big fan of Mike Ritchie's excellent americana show on Celtic Music Radio on Sunday afternoons (4pm - 6pm).

Other than that I'll listen to Cerys on a Sunday morning if I can be arsed but don't make much of an effort to do so. Used to enjoy Bob Harris but he turned really dull and uninteresting when they moved him to the 3am slot at weekends. Best thing for him was finally pulling the plug on his weekend show. It used to be a great show for country, americana and some real curios. In the end it was MOR tosh.

Big fan of Radio 4 for non-music output.

I miss the Boy Lard.

This is pretty much my thoughts.  Radio 6 for music.  Radio 4 is brilliant.  In Our Time being a must-listen for me.

I also spend a fair whack of time listening to KUTX.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:45, pittsburgh phil said:

ha, does anyone remeomber the Wayne carr character/section in this...got Steve Wright down to a tee

On 11/17/2018 at 16:49, Anodyne said:

Sirius XM has a great selection with DJs like David Johansen and David Fricke.

Steve Earle also has a show and Howard Stern

Outlaw country channel 60 on Sirius is my go to and generally I like what i hear about 75-80% of the time. It can be very strange, one night they played Andy Stewart, Donald wheres yer troosers for reasons I cannot imagine but hearing it warmed my cockles.

The Steve Earle show is very good.

John Peel – never really got into him. Obviously played a lot of great stuff but some amount of sh*te as well.  So I couldn’t last without turning it off.

Mark and Lard –Weekday nights around mid 90’s. Probably my fave ever radio show.  Great sessions, banter and a brilliant mix of tunes.  They switched to daytime Radio 1 I think and although it was agood move for them it wasn’t the same for me and maybe a bit too crazy for daytime. To be fair I was working in an office at the time so could only hear bits of the show when I went into the workshop.

Evening Session – mid 90’s –great for tunes/new bands but Jo Whiley was annoying as f*ck.

I think I stopped listening to Radio One around the time Colin and Edith left.  Wasn’t a big fan but they used to play the odd good song and at the time Radio 2 for me still felt like it was for auld c*nts.  I think the last tune Colin played was ‘There She Goes my Beautiful World’ by Nick Cave – can’t imagine hearing a tune like that on Radio One these days but then I haven’t tuned in for years.

I then didn’t bother with radio for years….then got a job driving a lot more so got back into Radio but moved to Radio two..cos I’d turned into an auld c*nt.

Chris Evans was ok if he didn’t go on about his f*cking kids all the time. Also liked Simon Mayo.

The change in Radio two presenters came at the same time I got a new car with Digital radio and Bluetooth so I can play Spotify/6Music through it.  So haven’t really tuned into Radio 2 this year.

At home have 6music on most of the time.

Lamacq is great for that getting from work, making the dinner slot..good mix of big tunes and new stuff.

Mark Riley is probably my fave during the week, don’t listen to Gideon Coe as much as I’d like as I’m usually watching TV by that point.

I enjoy Huey on Saturday mornings. Not a big fan of his sub-gangsta chat but his music selection is great for the start of your day off.

Liz Kershaw I should like as she pretty much plays indie rock/punk anthems but theres something about her I cannae stand

Then Giles Petterson usually gets switched off for being too weird for me and the fitba results coming in

Craig Charles funk/soul always good to get the drinking started!

19 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

John Peel – never really got into him. Obviously played a lot of great stuff but some amount of sh*te as well.  So I couldn’t last without turning it off.

Mark and Lard –Weekday nights around mid 90’s. Probably my fave ever radio show.  Great sessions, banter and a brilliant mix of tunes.  They switched to daytime Radio 1 I think and although it was agood move for them it wasn’t the same for me and maybe a bit too crazy for daytime. To be fair I was working in an office at the time so could only hear bits of the show when I went into the workshop.

Evening Session – mid 90’s –great for tunes/new bands but Jo Whiley was annoying as f*ck.

I think I stopped listening to Radio One around the time Colin and Edith left.  Wasn’t a big fan but they used to play the odd good song and at the time Radio 2 for me still felt like it was for auld c*nts.  I think the last tune Colin played was ‘There She Goes my Beautiful World’ by Nick Cave – can’t imagine hearing a tune like that on Radio One these days but then I haven’t tuned in for years.

I then didn’t bother with radio for years….then got a job driving a lot more so got back into Radio but moved to Radio two..cos I’d turned into an auld c*nt.

Chris Evans was ok if he didn’t go on about his f*cking kids all the time. Also liked Simon Mayo.

The change in Radio two presenters came at the same time I got a new car with Digital radio and Bluetooth so I can play Spotify/6Music through it.  So haven’t really tuned into Radio 2 this year.

At home have 6music on most of the time.

Lamacq is great for that getting from work, making the dinner slot..good mix of big tunes and new stuff.

Mark Riley is probably my fave during the week, don’t listen to Gideon Coe as much as I’d like as I’m usually watching TV by that point.

I enjoy Huey on Saturday mornings. Not a big fan of his sub-gangsta chat but his music selection is great for the start of your day off.

Liz Kershaw I should like as she pretty much plays indie rock/punk anthems but theres something about her I cannae stand

Then Giles Petterson usually gets switched off for being too weird for me and the fitba results coming in

Craig Charles funk/soul always good to get the drinking started!

Disgraceful what the BBC did to Simon Mayo's Drivetime show, it was ideal listening for me, flicking between him & Lamacq while making the dinner.

Mayo is moving to Scala Radio a new radio station from Bauer launching in early March, focussing on classical music & the arts. Mark Kermode, Goldie, William Orbit also have slots on this new station.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:26, The Elephant & Castle said:

Disgraceful what the BBC did to Simon Mayo's Drivetime show, it was ideal listening for me, flicking between him & Lamacq while making the dinner.

Mayo is moving to Scala Radio a new radio station from Bauer launching in early March, focussing on classical music & the arts. Mark Kermode, Goldie, William Orbit also have slots on this new station.

yep totally agree. I used to really enjoy his show. The guy who did the sport was also good for a laugh, especially when they did the confessions part.  Then Jo Whiley came along and I stopped listening....not long after he gets dumped...