Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

On 12 July 2017 at 08:17, forameus said:

I subscribed to this yesterday and gave a couple of episodes a listen, and liking it so far.  The episode centered around Steve Bruce's attempts at writing a book especially.

Football Weekly read a few excerpts of this about a year ago. Seems like Bruce has gained a bit of cult following over the books :lol:

8 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Football Weekly read a few excerpts of this about a year ago. Seems like Bruce has gained a bit of cult following over the books :lol:

Speaking of Football Weekly, it's been revealed today that James Richardson and Producer Ben have left the Guardian to set up a new podcast with Iain Macintosh (who did the Steve Bruce readings on FW).  It's a blow for the Guardian, but I'm looking forward to what they produce.  I'm a big fan of Macintosh's work generally and the last big thing he set up - The Set Pieces.

The Totally Football Show is a rubbish name though.

Speaking of Football Weekly, it's been revealed today that James Richardson and Producer Ben have left the Guardian to set up a new podcast with Iain Macintosh (who did the Steve Bruce readings on FW).  It's a blow for the Guardian, but I'm looking forward to what they produce.  I'm a big fan of Macintosh's work generally and the last big thing he set up - The Set Pieces.

Just heard this today. Came as a wee bit of a shock but at least Jimbo has another podcast to present.

Any news on who will be taking over the Guardian one? If it's going to be Max Rushden then i'll be unsubscribing straight away.

On 31 July 2017 at 16:51, Forfinn said:

Those two are my favourite from the Football Weekly cast, so looks like I'll be jumping ship.

On 01/08/2017 at 20:32, ArabGaz said:

Just heard this today. Came as a wee bit of a shock but at least Jimbo has another podcast to present.

Any news on who will be taking over the Guardian one? If it's going to be Max Rushden then i'll be unsubscribing straight away.

I just refreshed my podcast app and the latest episode appeared in my feed.  It's Max Rushden.

6 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I just refreshed my podcast app and the latest episode appeared in my feed.  It's Max Rushden.

I listened to it earlier and I didn't think Rushden was bad.

I do usually find him quite irritating, but I enjoyed the pod today and I can't say he detracted from it.

I also thought having the microwave themed opening was quite funny, and Jonathan Wilson's Indian horse chat received just the right amount of ridicule.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

The first episode of The Totally Football Show is out. 

https://audioboom.com/channel/the-totally-football-show-with-james-richardson

As expected it feels a lot like Football Weekly but it would be good if they did things a little bit differently.  Maybe with special features, interviews or topics.

I enjoyed it. Not Kelly Cates biggest fan and her tendency to laugh at everything is annoying, but other than that I enjoyed it. Has allowed me to totally ditch Football Weekly, Barry Glendenning in particular, which is glorious. 

Starting to feel like the Football Podcasts are stacking up.

Scottish Football

Terrace Podcast - Cos it's well good.

Sportsound - I find myself screaming into the void more often than not at it, but the interviews can be really good.

TwoPointOne - The guys from Scope (that OF peddling attempt). I'm willing to get it a shot on the basis that some of their articles have been better than I expected.

Nutmeg - From the guys behind the quarterly. I imagine it will be also on a quarterly basis at least though.

Outside Scotland content

Football Ramble - Good humour and they do pay lip service to Scottish Football. (They're bringing out a European Show on Wednesdays as well this season)

Guardian (which I will probably chuck although Thursday's show was not as bad as I thought it would be), which will basically be the Totally Football Show, but better.

TalkSport2 European Football Show Podcast

Hearts content

Monday Night Football - Hearts and Hibs stuff.

Blood doesn't show on a Maroon Jersey

There is The Hearts Review, but that's not very good.

Outside the usual

The SV Podcast - Spielverlagerung website, which is very good for tactics, although it does come out sproadically.

The Lob Podcast - From the guys behind The Set Pieces. They look at stuff like Serie A in the 90s, Catalan football, Chapeconense Disaster, One Club Stalwarts and all that other hipster shite.

Quickly Kevin will he score Podcast - I really good look at 90s nostalgia. The Champ Man, and Steve Bruce where top notch.

And breathe...

Quite enjoyed the first Totally Football Show.  It was pretty much Football Weekly with the addition of Julien Laurent and Kelly Cates as new guests (neither of whom used to appear on FW).  I'll stick with Football Weekly too for a while, but if Jonathan Wilson starts appearing on TFS too, FW will become less of a priority.

I like Barry Glendennings cantankerous ways despite his odd penchant for sunderland. Will check out the new James Richardson one, just downloaded a bond podcast with him on reviewing Robin Hood prince of thieves? Listened to a few editions of live and kicking today about euro 96, Colin hendry was on, not bad.

Sky Sports EFL Weekly

BBC Radio Scottish Football

Guardian Football Weekly

Total MLS Show

Soccer in the City (NYCFC)

NYCFC Nation 

Talksport Transfer Rumours and Paper Review

The West Ham Way on Phoenix FM

East London Football Podcast

Think this is enough?

Also looking for Scottish non-league fitbaw podcast, and English non-league podcast. Pretty certain latter exist.

Edited by thekorean

Is the sportsound one quite old firm orientated? Or do they cover the lower leagues and that as well?
I can't get into the terrace podcast, i have tried listening to it quite a few times and for some reason just can't enjoy it.

Terrace varies from week to week, without sounding like a bully Gary and Duncan really put me off when they're on. Awful accents (Gary can't be from Dundee), seem a bit smug for me and also think they speak a lot of shite. Not just myself thinking that either some of my mates listen and think the same. Still listen through it though.

Think the shows vastly superior when the other lads are on, some really good guys. Shaughan, Andy, Joel and Graham in particular.

I'd stick with it and it'll grow on you, for Scottish football content you won't get better. Lower league stuff is also very funny and enjoyable to listen too, Craig Telfer from the old THHP podcast comes on and is superb.

Sportsound can be really good at times but in the main is pretty shite, they cover the same topics over and over, mainly OF orientated ones too. Can be extremely infuriating. Mixed through that there's some good content and interviews from time to time.

Also, Soccer FM, try that, its superb and the 2 guys have a wee thing going with PnB. Two really funny guys covering the whole SPFL and also interviewing an ex Scottish football professional every week to see how they're getting on. It's class. I work in an office and I'm fortunate enough to be allowed to listen to these so listen to them all the time. Love a podcast.

Stick with it. Believe it or not but Jim rosenthal episode is funny as fuk. You listened to jimmy bullards magic sponge? [emoji23][emoji23]

Thought I'd hate this but they're absolutely brilliant. Graham Stack and Ray Parlour ones in particular.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought I'd hate this but they're absolutely brilliant. Graham Stack and Ray Parlour ones in particular.

New series out in October. 

Lee Hendrie talking about Steffan Postma had me in tears, had to pull over when driving home from work. 

Terrace varies from week to week, without sounding like a bully Gary and Duncan really put me off when they're on. Awful accents (Gary can't be from Dundee), seem a bit smug for me and also think they speak a lot of shite. Not just myself thinking that either some of my mates listen and think the same. Still listen through it though.

Think the shows vastly superior when the other lads are on, some really good guys. Shaughan, Andy, Joel and Graham in particular.

I'd stick with it and it'll grow on you, for Scottish football content you won't get better. Lower league stuff is also very funny and enjoyable to listen too, Craig Telfer from the old THHP podcast comes on and is superb.

Sportsound can be really good at times but in the main is pretty shite, they cover the same topics over and over, mainly OF orientated ones too. Can be extremely infuriating. Mixed through that there's some good content and interviews from time to time.

Also, Soccer FM, try that, its superb and the 2 guys have a wee thing going with PnB. Two really funny guys covering the whole SPFL and also interviewing an ex Scottish football professional every week to see how they're getting on. It's class. I work in an office and I'm fortunate enough to be allowed to listen to these so listen to them all the time. Love a podcast.

Cheers. Aye podcasts are brilliant for listening to on the go. I might try and stick with the terrace, see if as you say it grows on me. Already listen to soccer fm, do enjoy listening to that.

Not strictly football, but I would really recommend the Flintoff and Savage podcast.

I didn't really have an opinion of either of them (I don't hate them like some people do) but I really enjoyed it. Some of Flintoff's stories in particular are absolutely brilliant.