Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

Unsubscribed from the totally Scottish football podcast finally. Any other decent alternatives?
Preferably something that doesn't descend into old firm arguments every week?

Assume you’re already au fait with the terrace podcast? It’s the best Scottish football podcast I’ve found tbh

12 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Assume you’re already au fait with the terrace podcast? It’s the best Scottish football podcast I’ve found tbh

I'm sure I bounced off it fairly quickly a while back but I'll give it another go.

Been going through Simon Ferry's podcasts, whilst they aren't the most pressing questions, some brilliant stories on there. 
Peter Crouch has a fairly decent one on the BBC as well which is an easy listen. 

Agreed re Si Ferry’s interviews. Nothing hard pressing but usually good to listen to anyway.
The episode of keep the ball on the ground with Kevin Kyle and Paul Slane was too busy for me, talking over each other and I was too tired to try and pay attention.
I'm sure I bounced off it fairly quickly a while back but I'll give it another go.

Would also strongly recommend tell him he’s Pele and lower league ramblings for interviews or focusing on an issue, rather than a weekend review. There is also of course soccer fm which has its own thread on here, it’s a good listen.

28 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Agreed re Si Ferry’s interviews. Nothing hard pressing but usually good to listen to anyway.
The episode of keep the ball on the ground with Kevin Kyle and Paul Slane was too busy for me, talking over each other and I was too tired to try and pay attention.

Would also strongly recommend tell him he’s Pele and lower league ramblings for interviews or focusing on an issue, rather than a weekend review. There is also of course soccer fm which has its own thread on here, it’s a good listen.

Cheers. I already listen to soccer FM and for the most part enjoy the Simon Ferry stuff as well (only so many times you can hear the Thomas Gravesen stories again though).

I probably spat the dummy a bit on the Totally Scottish podcast with the lass saying Aberdeen finishing second in the league four years in a row didn't make them the second best team in Scotland for those years.

Edited by Rodhull

Cheers. I already listen to soccer FM and for the most part enjoy the Simon Ferry stuff as well (only so many times you can hear the Thomas Gravesend stories again though).
I probably spat the dummy a bit on the Totally Scottish podcast with the lass saying Aberdeen finishing second in the league four years in a row didn't make them the second best team in Scotland for those years.

I definitely spat the dummy too early on the totally Scottish podcast...I’ve listened to two episodes and that’s it. Still download it but got more podcasts than I ever listen to so it just gets deleted.

Cheers. I already listen to soccer FM and for the most part enjoy the Simon Ferry stuff as well (only so many times you can hear the Thomas Gravesen stories again though).

She seems to have some issue with Aberdeen as she's had a dig at them a few times. JJ Bull is the only thing I like about it really.

I couldn't get into Stramash though I've heard from a lot of folk it's really good. I just got fed up after listening for about half an hour and almost all the chat being about Hearts. Get enough of that at work. I like the bythemin one, it focuses a lot on non-old Firm stories which helps.

2 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

She seems to have some issue with Aberdeen as she's had a dig at them a few times. JJ Bull is the only thing I like about it really.

Aye she has, in particular with regards to us playing Celtic in finals. Can understand for a neutral variety would probably be a bit less boring but making out like we get thumped by Celtic all the time as if there’s teams beating them regularly and Aberdeen are alone in struggling against them is pretty bizarre. Also moans about Aberdeen’s style of play which is fair enough but a bit much for a Motherwell fan.

Aye she has, in particular with regards to us playing Celtic in finals. Can understand for a neutral variety would probably be a bit less boring but making out like we get thumped by Celtic all the time as if there’s teams beating them regularly and Aberdeen are alone in struggling against them is pretty bizarre. Also moans about Aberdeen’s style of play which is fair enough but a bit much for a Motherwell fan.

How many Scottish teams have beaten Celtic in Glasgow since Rodgers took over I wonder. To be fair I get it, outwith the Old Firm Motherwell are the team I have the most bitter dislike for. Still not over that game against them at Pittodrie when they cheated us out of second place, not to mention the games last season and Scott McDonald. Maybe the ill-feeling goes both ways.

10 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

How many Scottish teams have beaten Celtic in Glasgow since Rodgers took over I wonder. To be fair I get it, outwith the Old Firm Motherwell are the team I have the most bitter dislike for. Still not over that game against them at Pittodrie when they cheated us out of second place, not to mention the games last season and Scott McDonald. Maybe the ill-feeling goes both ways.

Not being funny here, but why did you care? Both teams qualified for Europe, Aberdeen fans got an extra trip to enjoy. Ok, it cost the club a wee bit of cash, but nothing destiny-changing. Especially since I'm sure player bonuses will be linked to league position.

What's the big deal? It's not like it was a Champions League place or relegation.

I remember at the time being baffled by the hype around that game.

Edited by JTS98

22 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Pretty sure she's a Celtic fan - she just has a connection to Motherwell through her partner.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Pretty sure she's a Celtic fan - she just has a connection to Motherwell through her partner.

Ah right, I think she's done some media stuff for Motherwell and so I made the assumption she supported them.

Out of pure curiosity I stuck it on and her comments are a bit bizarre 'Aberdeen have shouted their mouths off about being the second best team in Scotland and they are not.' JJ Bull and Andrew Slaven are actually laughing at her. I'm incredibly biased obviously but she really does come across as someone bitter about Aberdeen.

Not being funny here, but why did you care? Both teams qualified for Europe, Aberdeen fans got an extra trip to enjoy. Ok, it cost the club a wee bit of cash, but nothing destiny-changing. Especially since I'm sure player bonuses will be linked to league position.
What's the big deal? It's not like it was a Champions League place or relegation.
I remember at the time being baffled by the hype around that game.

At the time I had never seen Aberdeen finish higher than third, so the idea of finishing second was exciting. Now we've done it a few years in a row the gimmick has warn off but I still want to finish second. I, sadly, think genuinely competing for the league is incredibly unlikely so finishing second is probably the most success in league terms I'm going to see. I'd obviously rather win cups, and realistically as long as we get into Europe I'll be moderately happy, but second is still something I think it's worth aiming for. I think it's unlikely we will finish second this season and I'll be disappointed not to after being the second best for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I’ve given the Totally Scottish Show the chop. A nice idea but it doesn’t work and doesn’t seem to fit in an already crowded field.

That bernie slaven was on the guardian one the other week. Saying that the quality of football is terrible, the league isn’t competitive etc whereas the top half of the league looks congested, we have a title race again this year, st johnstone went on a 7 game unbeaten run. The spl on the whole seems good, but he is sitting there slating it. Glad i ditched it after the 1st week.