Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

On 1/8/2019 at 15:38, Pie Of The Month said:

The Terrace charging £15 for a ticket to their live show. :lol:

I saw that!  I think the Nutmeg thing a couple of months ago was £3, which is fair enough to cover the hiring of the hall etc., but £15...steady on!

Only podcast I listen to 'religiously' is Athletico Mince. Went through a phase of listening to all the Totally Football offerings (Mon & Thursday football show, Scottish, Golazzo AND Football League) but it's all a bit too much. Listened to The Terrace a few times but again, 2 hour long episodes a week feels just too long for me.

I dunno if it feels right or not, but I've actually started listening to the 30 minute 'best of' daily episodes of Hawksbee & Jacobs on Talksport.

The Terrace charging £15 for a ticket to their live show. :lol:

Pricing definitely seems high for this. A quick look and the football ramble (probably the English equivalent?) were £18.50 for their live show in 2016.
As highland capital says, nutmeg are doing them and (presumably) just covering the costs. Given the terrace already has a Patreon set up for fundraising it’s a bit disappointing. Hope it does well but I won’t be going.

On 26/12/2018 at 20:45, Highland Capital said:

I’ve given the Totally Scottish Show the chop. A nice idea but it doesn’t work and doesn’t seem to fit in an already crowded field.

I ditched it at the start of the year when I found I didn't miss it when they stopped over Christmas. Thought it was pretty poor, especially the regular trio of folk who were on it.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I ditched it at the start of the year when I found I didn't miss it when they stopped over Christmas. Thought it was pretty poor, especially the regular trio of folk who were on it.

I just don't know where it fits.  It doesn't bring anything to what is a fairly crowded niche and I just feel it has a very cobbled together feel to it.  There's often very abrupt cuts and weird edits.  JJ Bull is alright and I quite enjoy the 'Totally' brand's output, but this just feels cheap and pointless. 

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I just don't know where it fits.  It doesn't bring anything to what is a fairly crowded niche and I just feel it has a very cobbled together feel to it.  There's often very abrupt cuts and weird edits.  JJ Bull is alright and I quite enjoy the 'Totally' brand's output, but this just feels cheap and pointless. 

It seems to me the majority of their analysis is based on the five minute clips the BBC puts online on a Sunday night and sod all else. I also can't be doing with the 51% not about the Old Firm thing either.

They seem to be going with a "Aren't we wacky, doing a Scottish football podcast?" vibe and it doesn't work.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

It seems to me the majority of their analysis is based on the five minute clips the BBC puts online on a Sunday night and sod all else. I also can't be doing with the 51% not about the Old Firm thing either.

They seem to be going with a "Aren't we wacky, doing a Scottish football podcast?" vibe and it doesn't work.

They're focussing too much on the non-Scottish audience by going out of their way to emphasise that there's more to Scottish football than the Old Firm and constantly referencing competition. Their core audience knows these things. They're missing the target.

It's good that the show exists, and I want it to work, but they're getting it wrong at the moment.

Compare the tone of it to the Totally Football League Show. TFLS has confidence that the listener is interested in the topic and they don't seem to have any insecurity and need to try to convince the listener that they should be interested. You're already interested, you're listening!

I've never been as big a fan of The Terrace podcasts as others seem to be. Fair play to them for getting it out there, but it's basically the kind of fitba chat I get in the pub with my mates. I don't find it terribly interesting. For that reason I think there's still a gap for a well-done Scottish football podcast and I was hoping the Totally brand would get it right, but not so far.

I quite enjoy the Terrace but it often comes down to who's on it.  The Raith fan and yer man from Stenhousemuir are a good listen.  I would like to see them branch out to more folk though, especially folk who support clubs, who aren't represented.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I've just seen that The Terrace are getting their own thing on the new BBC Scotland channel.
They'll probably have to tone it down a bit but should be better than the vast majority of Scottish football stuff on TV.

The Terrace should be better than the vast majority of stuff on that channel based on the dross pilots that appeared on BBC 2 before Christmas.

I quite enjoy the Terrace but it often comes down to who's on it.  The Raith fan and yer man from Stenhousemuir are a good listen.  I would like to see them branch out to more folk though, especially folk who support clubs, who aren't represented.

Maybe I've been unlucky but the episodes I've listened to it seemed very Hearts focused. Nothing wrong with it but it did sound like overhearing a conversation a few mates are having in the pub.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Maybe I've been unlucky but the episodes I've listened to it seemed very Hearts focused. Nothing wrong with it but it did sound like overhearing a conversation a few mates are having in the pub.

Depends who is on the Pod really as there's 2 or 3 Jambos on it.  It's a great listen though and I'm delighted that they're getting the chance to get more recognition.  They go into a decent amount of depth on the lower leagues and the chance to see Joel stumble over his words on TV sounds excellent.

Unlike most pods they seem to have a good understanding of the lower leagues and their features on teams tend to be spot on.  They did one last week where they looked at our season to date and I found myself agreeing with it all despite none of the pod being Cowden fans.  I'll certainly be watching this. 

Depends who is on the Pod really as there's 2 or 3 Jambos on it.  It's a great listen though and I'm delighted that they're getting the chance to get more recognition.  They go into a decent amount of depth on the lower leagues and the chance to see Joel stumble over his words on TV sounds excellent.
Unlike most pods they seem to have a good understanding of the lower leagues and their features on teams tend to be spot on.  They did one last week where they looked at our season to date and I found myself agreeing with it all despite none of the pod being Cowden fans.  I'll certainly be watching this. 

It’s about Scottish football and isn’t just the same old ex-pro’s and pundits spouting tired cliches, having ‘hilarious’ banter or dribbling utter shite, so I will also be tuning in (or recording it if bbc decide to put it on at 2:45am on a Tuesday morning).

• 3 weeks later...

Purefitbaw have just put out their first podcast. I had a listen to it while editing it for them yesterday, would recommend giving it a go. 

Will give this a listen, can’t be worse than the totally Scottish football pod!
Did anyone go to the Terrace live show last night? Judging by twitter, looks like it was a fun night!

23 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Purefitbaw have just put out their first podcast. I had a listen to it while editing it for them yesterday, would recommend giving it a go. 

Great way to introduce yourself to the Scottish football public...a piece about a fringe *** player on loan at a relegation threatened English 3rd division side.  Mind you, it sets the tone for the what's to come. Just another Old Firm programme with some other bits.