Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

On 25/09/2018 at 07:08, ArabGaz said:

Bob Mortimer’s song about Jordan Henderson on the last Athletico Mince podcast is genuinely one of the funniest things i’ve heard in years. The recent Steve McLaren QPR one was also very, very decent.

I thought  giving Tony Fernandes an American gangster voice was brilliant.

Lasted less than a minute on totally football as that female voice grated just too much for my preference, like others have said I prefer the guardian one generally.
Aye, what was her accent all about? Part Irish, part Scouse, part American, part Robot. The Guardian one was quite funny this week when they were discussing people who were the real power behind the throne leaving and Max referred to it as the James Richardson effect. I do probably prefer the panellists on the Guardian one but then I like listening to Richardson and Horncastle (and Honigstein and Lauren when they are on - essentially the old BT European Football Show gang) and I always listen to Golazzo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

The obsession with expected goals on quite a few podcasts continues to irk me a bit, but I suppose there is plenty of evidence to back it up. 

I agree. It's pretty tiresome.

As was extensively covered on Football Weekly, Burnley's success showed its limitations as a predictive model.

In general, I'm supportive of useful stats. For example, you're better off taking a short corner, despite the groans of British crowds. But I don't like this current push to make football nothing but a list of numbers. It's not baseball.

Golazo is a must listen for me every week. Been a big of Richardson and Horncastle since Football Weekly and Marcotti is really knowledgeable, even if he does get a bit sanctimonious at times. The theme tune still does it for me as well :wub:

I enjoy Gab being basically a grumpy dad when Jimbo and James are talking about the romantic side of things, see the Chievo pod and the Cassano one for reference.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I agree. It's pretty tiresome.

As was extensively covered on Football Weekly, Burnley's success showed its limitations as a predictive model.

In general, I'm supportive of useful stats. For example, you're better off taking a short corner, despite the groans of British crowds. But I don't like this current push to make football nothing but a list of numbers. It's not baseball.

That's not what's actually happening though. 'Expected goals' is simply replacing 'shots' and 'shots on target' as the statistics that dinosaur journalists and managers used to care about when talking about the outcome of a match; and rightly so, because it's a much better model to use. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's not what's actually happening though. 'Expected goals' is simply replacing 'shots' and 'shots on target' as the statistics that dinosaur journalists and managers used to care about when talking about the outcome of a match; and rightly so, because it's a much better model to use. 

It's better than shots on target, yes.

But it's far from as important as is made out. It also 'penalises' teams that are good in the air, since headed chances are rated as poorer chances than shots, in general.

It has a place in the broad analysis of football, but, as Burnley showed, XG falls down when you have a team who are quite happy to set up a gameplan that they are good at and that doesn't fit with the XG analysis model.

ETA: And it is being used as a predictive model. All of last season people were using it to predict Burnley's slide down the table, which never happened. There are also various blogs and websites predicting the outcome of various leagues, including the Scottish Premiership, using XG.

Edited by JTS98

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Gab really doesn't like Chievo. The three of them together, with the little musical interludes, when doing a section on historic Serie A is tremendous listening. Their tribute to Peter Brackley this week was spot on too.

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I enjoy Gab being basically a grumpy dad when Jimbo and James are talking about the romantic side of things, see the Chievo pod and the Cassano one for reference.

Haven't caught up with the Cassano one yet, but the Chievo episode was quite a rant from him. He knows a shitload about Serie A and absolutely bodied Craig Burley on EPSN a couple of years back, so he'll always be a good guy in my book. 

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

It has a place in the broad analysis of football, but, as Burnley showed, XG falls down when you have a team who are quite happy to set up a gameplan that they are good at and that doesn't fit with the XG analysis model.

ETA: And it is being used as a predictive model. All of last season people were using it to predict Burnley's slide down the table, which never happened. There are also various blogs and websites predicting the outcome of various leagues, including the Scottish Premiership, using XG.

Can't remember where I read it, but apparently Burnley do a lot of work on the positioning of their defenders when a shot is about to be taken, so that it minimises the area of the goal that can be hit. Would explain why they're 'cheating' the simpler xG models that don't incorporate tracking data or pressure. 

Edited by lanky_ffc

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 11:59, NorthernLights said:

World Football from the BBC is pretty good.  I enjoy the fact they cover events and stories from around the world that you probably wouldn't normally hear about.  The only downside is it is normally presented by Alan Green.

Alan Green thankfully disappeared a while ago and I found Mani Djazmi to be a much better presenter.

However they've decided to change the format.  For as long as I had been listening to it it was a few interviews and reports from across the world every week.  A recent episode feature an interview with Chris Woods about his life and career so far, a feature on Italian club Virtus Entella who have been left without a league to play in due to legal issues, an interview with Atdhe Nuhiu about playing for the Kosovo national team and finally an interview with a psychologist about winning mentalities.  Quite a range of countries and topics covered in just 25 minutes.

So just listening to the new format which started this week.  Mani Djazmi is still the main presenter but its now more of a discussion show and has Pat Nevin, Peter Odemwingie and Heather O'Reilly.  This week they are discussing rivalries and talking about the recent El Classico.  Its as bland as you can imagine with no real focus or direction.  There was a decent feature on the Soweto derby in South Africa which was more like what the previous version of the show was all about.  

I'll see how it goes but if this weeks episode is of the standard and quality of future shows I'll soon be unsubscribing.

Edited by NorthernLights

On 10/19/2018 at 22:08, JTS98 said:

It's better than shots on target, yes.

But it's far from as important as is made out. It also 'penalises' teams that are good in the air, since headed chances are rated as poorer chances than shots, in general.

Because those chances are more difficult to score from, as backed up by the data that they put into the models. 

Burnley's slide down the table is  very much happening this season with the same gameplan and similar figures, so it seems that XG was indeed onto something. 

On 02/11/2018 at 03:51, NorthernLights said:

Alan Green thankfully disappeared a while ago and I found Mani Djazmi to be a much better presenter.

However they've decided to change the format.  For as long as I had been listening to it it was a few interviews and reports from across the world every week.  A recent episode feature an interview with Chris Woods about his life and career so far, a feature on Italian club Virtus Entella who have been left without a league to play in due to legal issues, an interview with Atdhe Nuhiu about playing for the Kosovo national team and finally an interview with a psychologist about winning mentalities.  Quite a range of countries and topics covered in just 25 minutes.

So just listening to the new format which started this week.  Mani Djazmi is still the main presenter but its now more of a discussion show and has Pat Nevin, Peter Odemwingie and Heather O'Reilly.  This week they are discussing rivalries and talking about the recent El Classico.  Its as bland as you can imagine with no real focus or direction.  There was a decent feature on the Soweto derby in South Africa which was more like what the previous version of the show was all about.  

I'll see how it goes but if this weeks episode is of the standard and quality of future shows I'll soon be unsubscribing.

The addition of the panel has been bad. I'll give it a few more weeks but it's ruined whatnwasna great podcast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 10:25, Papad said:

The addition of the panel has been bad. I'll give it a few more weeks but it's ruined whatnwasna great podcast.

I've binned it.  Hasn't really improved at all and the "banter" between the panellists is just painful.  If it returns back to the original format I'll be straight back to it.