Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

Guest bernardblack

Any favourites out there?

The guardian football weekly and extra are essential for me.

Been listening to the football ramble recently and also very enjoyable

16 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I listen to both episodes of The Terrace and The Football Ramble every week. I very occasionally listen to Football Weekly, but I usually spend most of it contemplating my visceral loathing of Barry Glendenning. 

The way Glendenning says 'Mourino' or 'Coutino' makes my toes curl.

European Football Show podcast, Football Fives are not bad for a change of pace.

SV Podcast is good when it's on but it's rare and hasn't been for a few months. It's good at looking at the tactical mechanisms.

The Lob Podcast isn't half bad either, especially their run on the Football Italia years.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but in recent years I've grown to really hate James Richardson.  I liked Football Italia all those years ago, but I don't like his delivery on the podcast, and the image for it is extremely punchable.  Obviously he knows his stuff, but he just seems extremely smarmy to me.

Currently subscribed to The Football Ramble, The Terrace, The Burst Baw, and quite obviously the best of the lot, Clyde 1 Superscoreboard (not really of course, but I do enjoy listening knowing no matter how bad it gets, you're at least not some of the mouth-breathers they invite on).  Listened to the Ramble for the longest, and although it went through a phase of getting a bit up its own arse, it's gotten funnier recently which reduces that a little bit.  The Terrace is great to listen to, manage to mix a good level of coverage of all of Scottish football with not taking themselves too seriously.  The Burst Baw seem to be trying to paint themselves more into the football journalist camp for me, definitely less entertaining.  Apart from the Cup Final meltdown from the Rangers fan on there last year.  That was fun.

Should also add the Tuesday Club given they put up their first podcast for 2 years yesterday.  Always enjoyed it.  You're not going to get the best coverage, even of Arsenal, but still a good laugh.

Used to listen to the World Football Weekly or whatever it was called, the one with Tim Vickery, Dotun and various guests.  Might start getting back into it, it was quite good.  Plus Vickery manages to mix knowing a hell of a lot about his subject without being a smarmy bellend.

James scowcroft is excellent on the times podcast, despite being a southern man united supporter, marcotti can grate at times. 

Some of the articles on the blizzard are amazing. European one from talk sport is actually really good too but at two hours a week I hardly get the chance to listen to it now. Got a few alive and kickings to get through which is 90s podcast which isn't bad.

20 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

I always enjoy The Big Interview.  Some are fascinating interviews - really enjoyed his one with Gary Neville and how he tries to be a good pundit.

They're great, although Graham Hunter can be a bit up himself at times. i listen to them while I'm running.

Sid Lowe from Football Weekly also has a Spanish football one with a guy from Real Madrid TV. Quickly Kevin Will He Score? is also entertaining - it's about 90s English football and has Josh Widdicombe and a few other folk.

I like James Richardson but I've never been able to get into the Guardian Weekly podcast, can't even put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

Used to listen to the Football Ramble every week but fell out of love with it a bit, stopped listening a while back. Listened to one recently and really enjoyed it again, so will give that another go I think.

Graham Hunter is an absolutely insufferable bellend but almost in despite of him, he's had some really interesting episodes. The Paul Clement two parter about being Real Assistant and the behind the scenes of their CL wins is probably as interesting as anything I've listened to on these podcasts.

The Terrace provide the best Scottish football coverage around. Often quite Edinburgh-centric but they're always well informed and strike the balance between having good analysis and debate and not taking themselves too seriously.

Football weekly is a bit wanky (and self-aware that it is such) but is generally a good listen. I enjoy their European league coverage and their shows during the Euros were particularly good.

I subscribe to the sportsound pod and I don't really know why. Some of the features are interesting but it's generally full of illiterate ex-players who bemoan the lack of kids playing football on the street and think Dave King should pummel more cash into Rangers.

Soccer FM is fairly entertaining imo. Not much in the way of cutting edge analysis of the Scottish game but the "where are they now" feature where they get obscure ex-players to come on is usually pretty funny.

On 14/04/2017 at 15:50, forameus said:

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but in recent years I've grown to really hate James Richardson.  I liked Football Italia all those years ago, but I don't like his delivery on the podcast, and the image for it is extremely punchable.  Obviously he knows his stuff, but he just seems extremely smarmy to me.

Currently subscribed to The Football Ramble, The Terrace, The Burst Baw, and quite obviously the best of the lot, Clyde 1 Superscoreboard (not really of course, but I do enjoy listening knowing no matter how bad it gets, you're at least not some of the mouth-breathers they invite on).  Listened to the Ramble for the longest, and although it went through a phase of getting a bit up its own arse, it's gotten funnier recently which reduces that a little bit.  The Terrace is great to listen to, manage to mix a good level of coverage of all of Scottish football with not taking themselves too seriously.  The Burst Baw seem to be trying to paint themselves more into the football journalist camp for me, definitely less entertaining.  Apart from the Cup Final meltdown from the Rangers fan on there last year.  That was fun.

Should also add the Tuesday Club given they put up their first podcast for 2 years yesterday.  Always enjoyed it.  You're not going to get the best coverage, even of Arsenal, but still a good laugh.

Used to listen to the World Football Weekly or whatever it was called, the one with Tim Vickery, Dotun and various guests.  Might start getting back into it, it was quite good.  Plus Vickery manages to mix knowing a hell of a lot about his subject without being a smarmy bellend.

that's borderline blasphemy.

if james richardson punched a baby it would be funny IMO

Squawka Talker is a good listen if you're interested in the Premier League and a bit of European.

Statsbomb is also favourite of mine. It's pretty low budget, but the content is excellent IMO. They get into some pretty nerdy analytics, expected goals etc.

Terrace and Football Weekly are another two of my staples.

Edited by lanky_ffc