41% of American adults believed we co-existed with dinosaurs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

The religious element to this does not surprise me, nonetheless it is truely frightful ignorance. Sadly a SNP MSP believes the same thing so it's hard to be too critical.

Sadly the OP doesn't surprise me at all.

I was in Texas last week and never appreciated just how many bible bashers there are over there. Even the taxi driver out the airport was giving me the whole 'do you believe in Jesus and if not, wtf not?!'. Churches and religious billboards / bumper stickers absolutely everywhere.
The 'best' moment was in the Natural History Museum in Houston where there was a small exhibit on human evolution but one mother said to her primary school age son "don't believe that, it's wrong".

Also met a homeless guy outside the pub I was at, not begging for money, but carrying some weird version of a Bible (giant thing like a kids fairy tale book (quite apt really). He asked if I could read him a part (because he was illiterate) and I started off just out of sheer curiosity. Absolute 'Hallelujah!' of the highest order, to which I had to balance it by asking why he just accepts the first thing shown to him. Turned out he gave over all his money for that book that day, saying "I need this man, it's all I've got to help me, I need heaven man". All very sad. :(

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

TBF to the Americans, if you watched the Flintstones when you were growing up you would think people and dinosaurs coexisted.

There's a few conspiracy theories kicking about over this on line, one being that the Flintstones and the Jetsons exist in a same post nuclear war world with the Jetsons as the haves (who rely on technology) and the Flintstones as the have nots who have to improvise with what they can find. The so called Dinosaurs are a result of mutations and genetic experiments.

4 minutes ago, CityDave said:

There's a few conspiracy theories kicking about over this on line, one being that the Flintstones and the Jetsons exist in a same post nuclear war world with the Jetsons as the haves (who rely on technology) and the Flintstones as the have nots who have to improvise with what they can find. The so called Dinosaurs are a result of mutations and genetic experiments.

There was also The Dinosaurs and the spooky Trump prediction..

10 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Mind. Blown. 

I thought it was the Flintstones were population rebuilding after a nuclear war and is set 1000 years after the Jetsons

6 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

I thought it was the Flintstones were population rebuilding after a nuclear war and is set 1000 years after the Jetsons

Spotted this explanation/conspiracy theory about the Jetson's/Flintstone's world. Given the cold war paranoia around at the time it does seems plausible that the writers were thinking post apocalyptic rather than Stone Age/Space Age adventures.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/why-flintstones-takes-place-in-post-apocalyptic-future/

Archived