Sons V Pars 15/4/17

We mustn't lose this one.

Especially after St Mirren's win v Morton earlier this evening.

Come on Sons, keep it going.

Pity we don't sell them gorgeous Steak Bridie's that can be had at East End Park mind you.

Thoughts please...on the match or the food....

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope we go out and get a good win on Saturday. We've managed to score 11 goals against Dumbarton this season and it'll end any lingering worries about relegation. Best we can hope for now is a 5th place finish, which would be a fair effort in our first season back.

I'll be heading through for this one as well. My second-ever visit to The Rock. Last one was a 2-0 win back in September 2012, with goals from Andy Kirk and Stephen Jordan (no, me neither). If you'd told me after that game that we'd end the season relegated and Dumbarton would stay up then I'd have laughed at you like the fool you are.

EDIT- The aformentioned 2012 contest was also 'notable' for featuring famed, iconic Pars winger Ivan D'Angelo. His second of two appearances for the mighty Dunfermline Athletic Football Club. Special, special days.

I remember watching Stephen Jordan in awe when he played against us, because a few years earlier I'd watched him getting sent-off for Burnley against Everton on Monday Night Football. I think he was one of the first players I'd seen in the Premier League play against us competitively.

What a pathetic individual I am.

Anyway, three points in this coupled with defeats for Raith and Ayr will leave us 5 points clear of 9th and 7 clear of 10th with 9 points to play for. It wouldn't be totally safe, but it would be a massive, massive result.

We seem to be as poor against Dunfermline as we are against Ayr. Presumably we'll let Nicky Clark (or his Afghanistan veteran brother...) have a couple of free headers in the box again as well.

If the Pars were to roll over it could seriously gub Raith...Just putting that out there.

I suspect we'll go with an unchanged lineup, though I'm still not best pleased with Vaughan and Stanton in the same side - despite the two of them being very handy players. It seems to have nullified Sam, whilst Vaughan naturally floats in field leaving us a bit exposed. Still, if he scores again then there will be serious #sceenz.

In saying all that David Smith has been excellent with Vaughan in front of him. Arguably his best performances of a very decent season, so maybe it not working is an illusion. 

There's no chance the Pars will be relegated. Only need a point or two. 

Massive game for us, as S08 says you would expect a win here with Raith and Ayr losing would pretty much seal things. We have two home games left and we're capable of winning both, I'd rather not leave it to the last day needing a victory over Falkirk.

We should have everyone (bar Gall) available, but I expect the same team to start again.

It would certainly be unfair to change the team after the last two games, having Garry Fleming back on the bench is a boost, in that he's more than useful should he have to come on, but we really do have to shore up that defense against Dunfermline, we just cannot leak goals this weekend. 

Do the Dunfermline fans want raith to go down, and lose the derbies, or would they prefer they stayed up for the financial reasons?

I personally would rather Rovers stayed up. It'd be a shame not to have a derby match (despite Falkirk's social media team's efforts to convince, it's not a derby with them) and games with the Rovers usually bring out a slightly bigger than normal home support. However, they are rivals and lorded it over us when we were in L1, so swings and roundabouts.
Felt we should've won last time at Dumbarton but we'll need more attacking threat than last night. I doubt Johnston will vary the team much but our striking situation needs addressing in the summer.
Will be a difficult game but play like we can and I'm confident we can get the result needed.

1 minute ago, Larbert_Par said:

Felt we should've won last time at Dumbarton 

Funny, I walked away from that game viewing it as a chance missed for the 3 points. It really could've gone either way though, like so many games this season - I wouldn't be surprised to see another draw played out here.

Hopefully wee Vaughan continues his form and bags another goal and 3 points for us though.

13 hours ago, Silverton End said:

We mustn't lose this one.

Especially after St Mirren's win v Morton earlier this evening.

Come on Sons, keep it going.

Pity we don't sell them gorgeous Steak Bridie's that can be had at East End Park mind you.

Thoughts please...on the match or the food....

My overriding thought is of that rogue apostrophe in bridies.

3 hours ago, Consolidate said:

We've not turned up against Fife this season, time to remedy.

I

Is Kirkaldy not in Fife? I'm sure we turned Raith over a couple of times, but geography isn't my strong point.

2 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

When did we last beat Dunfermline in Dumbarton?

If I've read the Sons Archive correctly, April 18th 1981 in a match where Brian Gallacher and Alisdair Brown got the goals in a 2-1 win. That was under Sean Fallon as manager too.

That is not good reading :lol: 

If we win this we can't finish bottom. If we win and Queens lose, we go 5th.

Of course to win means we have to score, and that's been quite difficult recently, unless Dumbarton want to give us any penalties, and even then it's not a sure thing we'd score them, given our deeply comical record of them this season.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

If we win this we can't finish bottom. If we win and Queens lose, we go 5th.

Of course to win means we have to score, and that's been quite difficult recently, unless Dumbarton want to give us any penalties, and even then it's not a sure thing we'd score them, given our deeply comical record of them this season.

I would love to say we don't concede penalties, but we do...4 in 2017 alone. Though I won't expand on who may or may not have conceded them...

We'll just give Nicky Clark three free-headers like last time. It's then up to him what happens. Hopefully he doesn't have his shooting, erm, head on.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I would love to say we don't concede penalties, but we do...4 in 2017 alone. Though I won't expand on who may or may not have conceded them...

We'll just give Nicky Clark three free-headers like last time. It's then up to him what happens. Hopefully he doesn't have his shooting, erm, head on.

He's not had his shooting head on for a few weeks now. Perhaps he has his shooting head on his feet and his shooting boots on his head?

Archived