Motherwell vs ICT 15/04/17

Biggest game of the season on Saturday, both teams desperately need to win but both will also be shit scared of losing. So it will probably end up being another bore draw.

Win and Inverness are gone and it becomes a five way fight to avoid the play off spot after the split, a defeat for us doesn't real bare thinking about. 

A team that hasn't won away from home in the league since they scudded us 3-0 last time they were at Fir Park in October, against a team that hasn't won at home since November.

Should be interesting..

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Biggest game of the season on Saturday, both teams desperately need to win but both will also be shit scared of losing. So it will probably end up being another bore draw.

Win and Inverness are gone and it becomes a five way fight to avoid the play off spot after the split, a defeat for us doesn't real bare thinking about. 

A team that hasn't won away from home in the league since they scudded us 3-0 last time they were at Fir Park in October, against a team that hasn't won at home since November.

Should be interesting..

Probably a draw.

That makes some pretty dire reading.

We've played 8 games at home since our last win at Fir Park (2-0 vs Thistle): Celtic (3-4), Killie (0-0), Rangers (0-2), Hearts (0-3), Dundee (1-5 LOL), St Johnstone (1-2 obviously) and Accies 0-0.

So since the Celtic game, which was the last game we managed to score 1st at home, we've only scored 2 in 7. 

Fucking hell.

Edit: I missed out the 1-3 loss to Aberdeen so I do our boys a disservice. It's actually 3 goals in 8 at FP since our last win.

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That makes some pretty dire reading.

We've played 8 games at home since our last win at Fir Park (2-0 vs Thistle): Celtic (3-4), Killie (0-0), Rangers (0-2), Hearts (0-3), Dundee (1-5 LOL), St Johnstone (1-2 obviously) and Accies 0-0.

So since the Celtic game, which was the last game we managed to score 1st at home, we've only scored 2 in 7. 

Fucking hell.

Yet Robinson seems to be taking a fair share of the blame for our current lack of attacking threat, too negative too many long balls etc, when if you look it that it was certainly (another) pre-existing problem before he even took over.

As I mentioned the other day, we've only scored 9 league goals in 12 games so far in 2017 and only 2 of them have come from open play.

Heavily reliant on set plays at the minute as evidenced by our last two games where our two best chances in both matches, Jules and Heneghan's headers, both came from set pieces.

4 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Yet Robinson seems to be taking a fair share of the blame for our current lack of attacking threat, too negative too many long balls etc, when if you look it that it was certainly (another) pre-existing problem before he even took over.

As I mentioned the other day, we've only scored 9 league goals in 12 games so far in 2017 and only 2 of them have come from open play.

Heavily reliant on set plays at the minute as evidenced by our last two games where our two best chances in both matches, Jules and Heneghan's headers, both came from set pieces.

Aye, I had missed out the Aberdeen games so it's actually 3 goals scored at home in 8 games since the Celtic fixture and 15 conceded. As I said, fucking hell. OK, 5 of those were in the clusterfuck of a 1st half against Dundee but still...

1 hour ago, MJC said:

we'll lose 3-0.

Appareciate that's what happened last time but this outcome is as likely as me having to leave the game early because I've been appointed Donald Trump's new National Security Adviser.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

If Moult is fit then we'll lose 3-2. If he's not then we'll lose 3-0.

Neither of these predictions is coming true. We haven't scored three in a match since October (3-3 at home against Hearts, the Saturday after we won in Motherwell), and we've won once in the league since that win at Fir Park. For those who haven't seen us recently, it's hard to emphasise enough how utterly toothless we are up front: no width, no movement, no confidence. On Saturday, it looked like several of the players had chucked it. This should be Motherwell's best chance of a home win this season; if we're lucky, we might scrape a 0-0 or a 1-1, neither of which will actually do us much good.     

Edited to add: in a sort of masochistic way, I'm quite looking forward to seeing what sort of formation Foran will pull out of his magician's-hat-of-shit on Saturday, after the 'new' 5-3-2 system that heroically scrapped its way to three 1-1 draws and a 1-0 defeat was ripped a new one by St Johnstone in the closing stages on Saturday. Warren and Cole should be suspended as well, which adds to the potential for all sorts of weird and wonderful formations.

I think I'm right in saying this is the battle of the team with the worst home record against the team with the (second?) worst away record.

Oh, and Collum is in charge of it as well. Great stuff(!)

1-0 either way and a performance that will lead me to again question how our forward thinking players managed not to score (or even mange shots on target).  

Samson will also get the blame if Caley win despite the shiteness of the rest of the team.  

This has score draw written over all of it as both teams cant defend, which isn't really a help to either team. I think we're down but I think whoever finishes 2nd bottom will also come down with us by losing in the playoff - good chance this could be a Championship game next season :( 

Archived