What is the greatest sport technically?

Dindeleux

It's easier in sports like golf to not make mistakes when you have time to take a practice swing, get the crowd to shut up and get advice from someone regarding yardage and wind etc.

I disagree actually, at least from my point of view that's one of the things that makes golf so difficult.

You have to almost perfectly execute very complex actions and that time contemplating it along with your own thoughts is quite often what causes the bad results. It's at the same time the most mentally demanding, demoralizing and rewarding game I've ever played and I'm utterly addicted to it.

In my opinion I'd put golf right up there with the hardest. I'm a big fan of Ice Hockey too and think the level of skill and awareness in a good hockey player is incredible.

I wouldn't bash on any particular sport, when you reach the elite level in any game the margins are so tight and it takes immense skill to stand out. Some sports have a lower threshold at which you can be competitive but when we're talking consistently competing at a high level in any sport, I think its pretty similar.

Anyone who is trying their hardest and doing their best with the talent they have has my utmost respect regardless of their game of choice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been paid to watch all manner of amateur and professional sports for years and one of the most impressive technical displays I've seen is gymnastics. Seeing an Olympian a few feet away on the bars or the pommel horse is pretty impressive, but what stuck with me was one of the rhythmic gymnasts. It was their practice day, getting used to the venue and she had her headphones on and was almost aimlessly wandering around with a hula hoop. She would roll it out with backspin a few feet ahead of her, it would roll back and with her foot she would grab it as it rolled past her and fling it 60-70 feet in the air with swift back-kick. She would take two steps and it would land in her right hand. She did this, over and over. Just watching her catch and fling the thing with her foot was impressive enough, but she was inch perfect and it seemed like she was barely paying attention. 

American football is the most complex and maybe mentally challenging, curling, figure skating, golf and darts are pretty high on my list as far as technical precision. 

• 4 months later...

Totally understand why golf and snooker are being mentioned but does the fact that the ball is dead (still) when played in both make it slightly easier technically than playing a moving ball like in tennis for instance?

Totally understand why golf and snooker are being mentioned but does the fact that the ball is dead (still) when played in both make it slightly easier technically than playing a moving ball like in tennis for instance?

There's probably arguments for both, while you obviously need far greater fitness levels and reactions for tennis than the other two, you don't need anywhere near the same level of pinpoint precision. A millimetre out in golf or snooker and you may well have missed a putt/lost position, whereas the margins aren't as extreme in tennis.

Really, you could make an argument for just about every sport...except cricket, cricket's fucking shite.

Definitely baseball. Probably the most overlooked sport in appreciating just how technical it is. Most people don't realise the sheer amount of in-depth scientific training those guys get on top of the physical conditioning on a daily basis.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 13:24, Co.Down Hibee said:

I don't think team sports can count as their can be an element of your surrounding team mates enhancing how you perform,  As mentioned before sports like gymnastics where luck plays no part in the result and is all about the technical ability would get my shout.

The converse of this is that a team sport which requires multiple teammates to play cohesively is arguably much more technical, since rather than an individual trying to do something you need several people all in sync with one another. If you can stomach the superlatives and watch this excerpt of the Soviet Union's hockey team you get one example (ie the one I was thinking of as I was reading the thread)

You'd have the same in football with a team like Barcelona when Xavi Iniesta and Messi were really at their peak. I think that's more impressive than individual efforts in sports, but you'd have to judge it on a sport by sport basis to really do it fairly.

• 2 weeks later...

There is probably an argument for lot's of Sports to lay claim to the most technical.

Stuff like Snooker, Golf and Darts obviously require absolute perfection to some degree but it's perhaps easier to get those right with hours and hours of practising and of course time to think about the shot/throw.

With Football and Ice Hockey there is a need for a certain precision but i guess that even a slightly bad shot on goal in either still has a better chance of going in than a bad snooker shot or throw in Darts.

The only thing with Football and IH is that are played in the moment so require technically brilliant skill without thought.

That answers nothing though ha ha.

Archived