What is the greatest sport technically?

Dindeleux

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

A pal and me used to play target golf. We'd have to stand about 170 yards away and would take pot shots at each other with an 8 iron. It surprised me how angry he got the first time I hit him on the head.

That's a long way to throw a golf club.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isle of Man TT race.
Make a mistake, there's a good chance you're dead.

Very good shout and certainly the most dangerous of what's been mentioned so far.

Whilst some sports like golf might have more technical intricacies the concentration levels of these boys in the TT is staggering. The mental fatigue after one of those races must be unreal. As has been said before one slight mistake and there is a chance you are dead.

Would highly recommend Closer to the Edge for anyone who hasn't seen. Michael Dunlop is an absolute genius on a super bike.

8 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Very good shout and certainly the most dangerous of what's been mentioned so far.

Whilst some sports like golf might have more technical intricacies the concentration levels of these boys in the TT is staggering. The mental fatigue after one of those races must be unreal. As has been said before one slight mistake and there is a chance you are dead.

Would highly recommend Closer to the Edge for anyone who hasn't seen. Michael Dunlop is an absolute genius on a super bike.

TT Closer to the Edge is an incredible film. Definitely worth checking out. First 5-10 minutes are a bit cheeky as it's quite dull and makes you think it's going to be a film about blokes with spanners. 

TT Closer to the Edge is an incredible film. Definitely worth checking out. First 5-10 minutes are a bit cheeky as it's quite dull and makes you think it's going to be a film about blokes with spanners. 

Yeah and Guy Martin with his "some lads like shagging, I don't like shagging" [emoji23].

Although the opening scene is phenomenal with dash type cam on the bike giving an idea of what it's like.

Full film is available on you tube and highly recommend it even you don't have an interest in bikes.

10 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I would say baseball, specifically pitching.

Why would you say pitching was more technically difficult than batting out of interest?

Also would ye not say bowling (cricket) has more technical skill than baseball pitching?

Why would you say pitching was more technically difficult than batting out of interest?

Also would ye not say bowling (cricket) has more technical skill than baseball pitching?

Due to how perfect you have to be with pretty much every pitch. The difference between a cricket bowler and a baseball pitcher is a mistake by a bowler leads to a six, but you could get a wicket next ball. A mistake by a pitcher and there's a decent chance that will be the game lost. I think there's more give with bowling as well.

2 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Due to how perfect you have to be with pretty much every pitch.

I don't think you do. You can throw a stinker of a ball into the dirt... that's just a foul ball. You could allow a ball to slide across the strike zone into perfect territory for the batsman but, if he's misread it, it'll be a strike. The fact that there are more pitches that end in a strike than a hit would make it seem the pitcher has the advantage. Almost all the changes in baseball for the last fifty years or so have been of the benefit of the batsman as opposed to the pitcher as well.

I think the mental effort of the pitcher is far greater tho'. You see the batsmen stroll out of their four or five swings without a care in the world but, yer right, one bad pitch and it could be game over.

I've played quite a few sports and golf is definitely the hardest to be constantly good at, however like has been pointed out your allowed time to get everything correct and be totally happy before stepping upto the ball which is a luxury not afford in most other sports. 

Despite being on P&B and having a season ticket for my local team in the Lowland League. However in a general sense I find footy quite boring. I can watch my local team for 90 mins but then I start to lose interest. Despite this, pro footballers have to be exceptionally fit and I respect them for that.

Formula 1 drivers and Rugby League players need exceptional levels of fitness. F1 requires mental and physical stamina when going at high speed. Despite Rugby Union being my fave sport, it can be quite stop/start like football so more time for a breather.

I've never got into golf personally. It's just a business meeting with the exercise. However, a lot of players take a golf cart anyway. At least if you walk between holes you have plenty of time to discuss the stock market, share prices and what your business can offer your client.

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hockey is pretty challenging. Needs a good level of skill before you can be effective, and at the top level, the players are playing every two days at events like the World Cup and the Olympics.

Then imagine doing that on ice at double the speed whilst the opposition are trying to knock you on your arse.

Is golf a sport? More of a pastime for badly dressed wankers. Does take huge skill and dedication to be good at it though.
I think people would get a shock if they'd not boxed before just how hard it is to try and handle a decent boxer if you're a novice. You just don't get a sense of it from watching on TV etc.

Agree with that. Everybody's had fights in their childhood and at school and generally think that if they throw a punch at someone then they'll land it.

If any random went in a ring for the first time with a bog standard amateur boxer who was taking it easy then they would be very lucky to land a punch.

I don't think team sports can count as their can be an element of your surrounding team mates enhancing how you perform,  As mentioned before sports like gymnastics where luck plays no part in the result and is all about the technical ability would get my shout.

Archived