What is the greatest sport technically?

Dindeleux

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's perhaps Formula 1. To have cars go round, what, 4 miles of track or something and stopping and starting and changing directions constantly and only finish literally hundredths of a second apart is pretty amazing to think about. 

There's an argument that it could be football. Most popular sport in the world is a pretty good baseline for the skill level being the highest.

In 20 years it'll be Mixed Martial Arts imo.

Ballet dancers are at the absolute peak of human fitness and conditioning btw, being strong and flexible enough to pull of some astounding manoeuvres and moves. Plus the grace in which they do it clearly demonstrates a finesse which I'd argue no other sport has.

In what way is it not a sport? Intrigued by this viewpoint.

We now have some more understanding of the Dad incident.

It's easier in sports like golf to not make mistakes when you have time to take a practice swing, get the crowd to shut up and get advice from someone regarding yardage and wind etc.

In terms of fitness is must be boxing or martial arts. Tennis is up there but you do see chubby females at times. The recovery time must be difficult thought. Playing ten sets in two days.

Quarterback is a good shout, they have to be tough, fit and be good technically. 

Dont know it's a good question and would make an interesting documentary.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Is golf a sport? More of a pastime for badly dressed wankers. Does take huge skill and dedication to be good at it though.

I think people would get a shock if they'd not boxed before just how hard it is to try and handle a decent boxer if you're a novice. You just don't get a sense of it from watching on TV etc.

I've played a few sports and it's definitely the least forgiving. A few cm off can result in brain damage rather than a ball landing in a bunker somewhere. 

2 hours ago, BradHorse said:

For me it's perhaps Formula 1. To have cars go round, what, 4 miles of track or something and stopping and starting and changing directions constantly and only finish literally hundredths of a second apart is pretty amazing to think about. 

There's an argument that it could be football. Most popular sport in the world is a pretty good baseline for the skill level being the highest.

In 20 years it'll be Mixed Martial Arts imo.

MMA isn't a sport. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hockey is pretty challenging. Needs a good level of skill before you can be effective, and at the top level, the players are playing every two days at events like the World Cup and the Olympics.

:lol:

44 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

I've played a few sports and it's definitely the least forgiving. A few cm off can result in brain damage rather than a ball landing in a bunker somewhere. 

A pal and me used to play target golf. We'd have to stand about 170 yards away and would take pot shots at each other with an 8 iron. It surprised me how angry he got the first time I hit him on the head.

Archived