Worst sayings in Scottish Football

I can't listen to the weeknight Sportsound, its repetitive, negative and consistently misses the point. I've never heard them talk about tactics, or anything that really relates to what goes on on the pitch. Its all narrative, speculation, personalities, the soap opera of Scottish football. How often have they tried to dissect the Cathro/Levein/Budge situation? They never look at what's happening on the pitch, aside from the results. They dismiss the opinions of those who haven't played the game, even though they've watched and written about it their whole life. 
The weekend coverage is fine, it does the job. I enjoy Open-All-Mics for the sheer chaos, especially if there are plenty of goals in all the games. Pre- and post-match I feel they don't do enough. Retelling the story of the match isn't sufficient for a national broadcaster. I want tactical analysis, and I want insight. I don't want to be told about a Director of Football directing the football and how shocking it all is. It doesn't interest me. 

Spot on sir. I'd enjoy having a beer with you.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I can't listen to the weeknight Sportsound, its repetitive, negative and consistently misses the point. I've never heard them talk about tactics, or anything that really relates to what goes on on the pitch. Its all narrative, speculation, personalities, the soap opera of Scottish football. How often have they tried to dissect the Cathro/Levein/Budge situation? They never look at what's happening on the pitch, aside from the results. They dismiss the opinions of those who haven't played the game, even though they've watched and written about it their whole life. 

The weekend coverage is fine, it does the job. I enjoy Open-All-Mics for the sheer chaos, especially if there are plenty of goals in all the games. Pre- and post-match I feel they don't do enough. Retelling the story of the match isn't sufficient for a national broadcaster. I want tactical analysis, and I want insight. I don't want to be told about a Director of Football directing the football and how shocking it all is. It doesn't interest me. 

To be fair I was thinking only of their weekend output. Can't mind the last time I listened to the midweek stuff.

Regarding Open-All-Mics and the quick retelling of the story.. to a degree that's the nature of the beast. If we're gonna have live covered of up that many games at the once then, obviously, the post-match analysis is gonna suffer as you go round the grounds. It's often saved as well by either the host or one of the other folk at another ground asking a question of it afterwards to spark up a bit more information that was lacking.

14 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

To be fair I was thinking only of their weekend output. Can't mind the last time I listened to the midweek stuff.

Regarding Open-All-Mics and the quick retelling of the story.. to a degree that's the nature of the beast. If we're gonna have live covered of up that many games at the once then, obviously, the post-match analysis is gonna suffer as you go round the grounds. It's often saved as well by either the host or one of the other folk at another ground asking a question of it afterwards to spark up a bit more information that was lacking.

Aye I suppose its fair enough. My annoyance has probably built up over time and so I have very little patience left for Sportsound these days. I stick to the Terrace Podcast these days. 

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

It was a game of two halves. They all fucking are. (Except when they go to extra time)

To be fair, this expression should only be used when the second half is so different to the first half, you would struggle to recognize that it was the same game.

At the moment that does not seem to apply to any games that Inverness are playing.

I recall one interview where Sandy Jardine indicated that "Hearts had lost the match because they weren't firing on all cylinders".
He then went on to say that "Hearts had lost the match because they weren't firing on all cylinders".

Unfortunately he was unable to expand on this because he had to rush off and collect his car from the garage.

16 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Brought this up before and will do so again. 

"He's hit that too well"

No, he's hit it powerfully and cleanly but straight at the keeper. 

If he'd hit it well, it would be in the net 

You actually can't hit it too well

Anyone on loan from Ibrox must be referred to as a "Loan Ranger".

Celtic fans being "the best in the world" when there are 20,000-odd empty seats for league games.

"We're taking it one game at a time" - as opposed to playing 7 at once??

I'm sick of 'too much respect' being trotted out in any circumstance. It's went beyond parody this year and seems to be used whenever Dundee lose a goal.

Scott Bain should stop showing so much respect by letting the opposition hit the ball into the net IMO.

Archived