Worst sayings in Scottish Football

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic or Rangers " minded" - worse than nails down a blackboard ! 

Another total myth is the old firm pack away grounds everywhere they go 

a) do they f**k

b) they half our normal home support

c) neither of them have yet produced a bigger crowd than Thistle v Morton in promotion season

"He's just about offside there"

eh naw? he's either on or off.

kevin Thomson on BT properly gets on my tits too. Every time he refers to hibs or hearts he says "the Hibees" or "the jambos". Just say hibs and hearts you despicable *** c**t. 

Andy Walker over exaggerating everything. For example "it's 1980 all over again" after the final. No Andy, no it was not.

'I just felt the boys...' is a wearyingly apologetic and vague term.

'He could do a job for us...' is depressingly unambitious. It immediately suggests a player is limited.

I dislike references to 'working the goalkeeper' or similar. This makes no sense if you want to actually score.

I also get irritated by the nonsensical term 'early doors' to describe the beginning of a match.

Barry Ferguson and others saying 'ever so well' is also incredibly annoying, as others have already said.

I think what we are all saying here is that we don't like cliches. They're shit and lazy, just like stereotypes.

Craig Paterson telling a player to put the ball "in the mixer". I think he means box?

I found an article in the Daily Record though where Craig might have another meaning for "in the mixer"....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-need-pick-up-speed-5403011

"Queen of the South and Falkirk would have been right behind them but the victory last Sunday means the battle for second place is right back in the mixer."

Check this out from Keir Murray in 2011...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9593349.stm

do Ctrl+F and search for mixer...

1259: Oh, dear. What a chance for Dunfermline! Joe Cardle's corner is headed back into "the mixer" and falls for big Alex Keddie, who slashes at it with his right boot and the ball drifts wide of Graham Stack's goal. Now, had the ball come to his left peg it might have been a different story...

I had to dig a little deeper...and read up on four four two,,,

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/training/get-it-mixer

“Get it in the mixer!”

Taken, we assume, from the building site – only this has nothing to do with applying the right blend of sand and cement. ‘It’ is the ball; ‘the mixer’ is the middle of the box between the penalty spot and the goal – or what long-ball tactical boffins used to call the ‘Position of Maximum Opportunity’. They’re kidding no one. Favoured by the big, the clueless and the desperate, from either open play or set-pieces.

Even the BBC World Service has a vocabulary page...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/vocabulary/football.shtml

bang it in the mixer! 

a shout to encourage a player to play a long ball into the penalty area (i.e. the "mixer") in the hope that an attacking player will get on the end of it and score

That is Craig Paterson's only tactic!

I'm on a roll

2128: Chris Maguire blasts a free-kick hopelessly wide when what Aberdeen required was a good ball into "the mixer", a favourite phrase of BBC Radio Scotland Craig Paterson.

I was beaten to it on the 4th of Mrch 2017

Gets on my tits every week when I hear an interviewer asking a manager the most stupid question...
'how important is it to win the game today?'
or
'just how important was that victory?'

^^^This.

Same as the phrase "business end of the season"..........well no because if you lost your first 30 games you'd be fucked.

14 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

"We're taking it one game at a time" - as opposed to playing 7 at once??

I think that one's more about mentalities for a series of games is it not? Some clubs/managers prefer to view games in a series and think "10 points from those five games will do us"

WTF do I know tho'? I like Derek Ferguson on Open All Mics.

*"all but"*

As in "the sending off of X all but dashed their hopes of winning" or "the season is all but over".

WHAT DOES IS IT EVEN MEAN? "Not quite but almost"? "Pretty much"? "Kinda"?

Bugs the hell out of me, anyway. Dishonourable mentions for "Celtic-minded" and "Rangers man".

Something I've noticed a lot these days is players, managers and pundits starting their sentences with "Like ah said"
YOU HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING. IT'S THE START OF A SENTENCE. JESUS.
Notable mentions for:

Gary Teale is the worst for this. So much so that he just slurs "Says" at the start of every sentence.

I can't listen to the weeknight Sportsound, its repetitive, negative and consistently misses the point. I've never heard them talk about tactics, or anything that really relates to what goes on on the pitch. Its all narrative, speculation, personalities, the soap opera of Scottish football. How often have they tried to dissect the Cathro/Levein/Budge situation? They never look at what's happening on the pitch, aside from the results. They dismiss the opinions of those who haven't played the game, even though they've watched and written about it their whole life. 
The weekend coverage is fine, it does the job. I enjoy Open-All-Mics for the sheer chaos, especially if there are plenty of goals in all the games. Pre- and post-match I feel they don't do enough. Retelling the story of the match isn't sufficient for a national broadcaster. I want tactical analysis, and I want insight. I don't want to be told about a Director of Football directing the football and how shocking it all is. It doesn't interest me. 

"There's lots of positives to take from that and progress is being made" - usually in reference to the National side after yet another failure to reach a major tournament but they've won a dead rubber at the end of qualification or played reasonably well but still lost to a Spain, Germany or England.
"I hate both halves of the Old Firm equally" - said by many a non Old Firm fan, but I'd wager that 90% of the time it's a lie.
"We're punching way above our weight" - one that Motherwell fans are particularly bad for in my experience. It's nothing but a self defeating piece of nonsense and a ready made excuse for failure.

This pretty much sums up the BBC's content. Interestingly, the show is always better when Kenny McIntyre isn't on, like last night, then they seem to talk about actual football.

Archived