Th1rteen R3asons Why

MSU

'The tapes were only the beginning' gives me the fear about this one.

'Oh look, Hannah also left a load of incriminating polaroid pictures lying around too, to further demonstrate her twisted, sociopathic nature'

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the plan was always to have a second season then I'm happy enough. If they've decided to make a second season due to the first's success, then it gives me the fear.

If the plan was always to have a second season then I'm happy enough. If they've decided to make a second season due to the first's success, then it gives me the fear.

Nothing about that first series suggests to me that another series centered around Hannah is a good idea. Seems to be plenty to go on without her being the front and centre narrator but that trailer makes me think it will continue to be her story

Maybe season two will be around the boy who always took the pictures, who we last saw packing guns into his backpack. 

Maybe season two will be around the boy who always took the pictures, who we last saw packing guns into his backpack. 

This and another couple of lose ends made me think a second series was inevitable if the first was a success.

I agree with a couple of posters that Hannah’s story should be done. The tapes the her finale.

If it centres on others then it might work but centring in Hannah again could undo a lot of good work. The first series was one of my favourite shows last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 14:38, DrewDon said:

That bathroom scene with Tyler and Montgomery in the final episode, though. 

Monty LewLew

To be honest, while I don’t know exactly what happens, knowing there’s a scene like that there, and knowing how grim the suicide scene was last year, it’s putting me off watching season two. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the second season was rubbish. I didn't particularly enjoy the first season either. Having said that, there's still something which keeps me watching it and I'm not sure what it is.

If you're expecting a seamless continuation from the first season, you'll be sorely disappointed. Many of the focal characters are poorly written and they seem like totally different characters. You can just tell that the writers are winging it. They should have left the story where it ended (as the book's author obviously intended).

I didn't think that the character of Hannah Baker could get much more unlikeable. However, that was before she decided to return as a talking ghost. Her dialogue was absolutely dreadful and devoid of any personality. Her inclusion in Season 2 was totally unnecessary. The flashbacks would have sufficed.

Why do all of the parents refer to their children as 'kiddo'? The word isn't even used on one occasion during the first season. At least three parents use the word during the second season. More than once. Very lazy writing and characterisation again.

Why would any mother want to keep her dead daughter's blood-soaked clothes as some sort of memento? They wouldn't. That's the answer. Throw them away, love. Maybe just keep some of her clean clothes instead.

The entire concept of the second season just seemed a bit ridiculous to me. A serious court case in which the lawyers are asking questions such as, ''Did she fancy him tho?'', ''Did Hannah Baker lyk gurlz?'', ''U fink Hannah was jelos?''.

Despite all of this, I do think that Season 2 improved as it reached the final episodes. I will watch Season 3 and I don't know why.

****SPOILERS****

Just finished it there. As expected it never came close to reaching the heights of the first one. The first one stuck with me for weeks amd even today I still get a strange feeling when I think about it. The 2nd hasn't had that impact. Having said that it was still a very good watch. Yet again we're left frustrated with the outcome though. Bryce has got away with it and is there any way he'll legally get his comeuppance if he's already been tried?

I don't think Hannah was a "ghost". I think it's pretty clear they are trying to show Clay is experiencing some form of psychosis. He's at the perfect age to develop schizophrenia and a major traumatic experience like he's had could be the key trigger. I'm wondering if that is where they'll go with the next season. He's been seeing Hannah for a whole season, could he have been hallucinating that Tyler was there when in fact it was him with the rifle all along? It's a reach but it's plausible. I'm not sure where they go next but hopefully they don't Walking Dead it and go too far.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think Hannah was a "ghost". I think it's pretty clear they are trying to show Clay is experiencing some form of psychosis.

Of course she wasn't a ghost in the literal sense of the word. Her dialogue was supposed to reflect his own thoughts and guilty conscience. However, I think the depiction was far too blunt and on the nose. Mental illness or not, I think her voice would have been sufficient and more effective on its own. There's no chance that he'd realistically see her in such a clear physical form (and he even attempts to kiss her at one point). That's why I refer to her as a talking ghost.

With the trial ending, Bryce basically getting away with it and everyone finding closure over Hannah's death, this would have been the perfect time to end it.  Shame they have decided to leave open just enough dreadful plot points that we're gonna get another season of them winging it.  I enjoyed watching this (as someone above said, I'm not quite sure why) but it was a shame to see them so clearly adding pointless layers of complexity just to justify another series.  As if Hannah wouldn't have mentioned going on a date with Bryce or pumping Zach for a whole summer in her tapes when it was entirely relevant to what he then did to end up with his own tape.

In saying all this, I blitzed through the last six episodes yesterday and will definitely watch the third series but just fear what it's going to be like when the whole central narrative to the show is at an end.  13 episodes of Junkie Justin and the Psycho Pals Clay and Tyler doesn't sound too appealing.  

On the bathroom scene - knew some sort of rape scene was forthcoming with those two but didn't quite envisage that.  Grim watching but I suppose we have already seen Tyler beaten and bullied mercilessly so there had to be some sort of escalation to justify him finally cracking.  Having seen Hannah and Jessica's graphic rapes last series, I guess it serves as a reminder that males can be victims of this kind of thing too and I'm pretty sure there was a very similar story in the USA a couple of years ago about some 'Jocks' assaulting a boy with learning difficulties in an identical manner.

Yeah the bathroom scene was absolutely brutal, probably the worst thing I've ever seen on a tv show.

Hannah's character isn't going to be in the third season at all. Just like season 2 I imagine it will be watchable but it's kind of lost its path a bit, I can't see where else it's going other than focusing on the after effects of Tyler and the rest of the drama with the school.

I'll still watch it but there really didn't need to be anything more than 1 season.

Archived