Falkirk v St Mirren

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Could a very interesting game on Saturday,i think it is safe to say Falkirk will make a few changes after the draw against Dundee Utd.Craigen being one of them coming in I hope.

This is the one I've been most concerned about in terms of our remaining away fixtures against the top 4.

Morton game will sort itself out as derbies tend to do, I've seen enough of Dundee Utd to suggest that we shouldn't fear them and Hibs will hopefully be in full on 'nothing to play for/saving it for cup final' mode by the last game.

Falkirk gave us a bit of a hounding in the 2-1 defeat January, though and were genuinely the last team we played in the league that I thought were a better side over the entire piece on the day than we were. Since then we've been the better side in every league fixture we've played (to varying degrees). We have a decent record at Grangemouth but Falkirk away has always given me the fear what with Brockville and our less than stellar record there.

We've pulled off two massive escapology acts at TFS in the last decade when all has looked lost, though. A barnstorming 2-0 (going on 8-0) victory in 2009, led by Jack Ross who pinned his ex team mate's jibes to the dressing room door and we came out that day with the bit between the teeth and destroyed Falkirk from the first whistle to the last. Only Dani Mallo and the woodwork prevented an absolute boabying that day.

Then again in 2010 when 10 men dug in deep to get a point that kept us up after Chris Innes idiotically punched a Falkirk player in the face in our own box when the ball was 60 yards up the park, conceding a penalty and getting himself sent off in the process.Stephen O'Donnell rescued a point that kept us in the division.

Good times. Saturday is hopefully the hat-trick but as I say, it's the one match I'm pessimistic about for some reason.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

This is the one I've been most concerned about in terms of our remaining away fixtures against the top 4.

Morton game will sort itself out as derbies tend to do, I've seen enough of Dundee Utd to suggest that we shouldn't fear them and Hibs will hopefully be in full on 'nothing to play for/saving it for cup final' mode by the last game.

Falkirk gave us a bit of a hounding in the 2-1 defeat January, though and were genuinely the last team we played in the league that I thought were a better side over the entire piece on the day than we were. Since then we've been the better side in every league fixture we've played (to varying degrees). We have a decent record at Grangemouth but Falkirk away has always given me the fear what with Brockville and our less than stellar record there.

We've pulled off two massive escapology acts at TFS in the last decade when all has looked lost, though. A barnstorming 2-0 (going on 8-0) victory in 2009, led by Jack Ross who pinned his ex team mate's jibes to the dressing room door and we came out that day with the bit between the teeth and destroyed Falkirk from the first whistle to the last. Only Dani Mallo and the woodwork prevented an absolute boabying that day.

Then again in 2010 when 10 men dug in deep to get a point that kept us up after Chris Innes idiotically punched a Falkirk player in the face in our own box when the ball was 60 yards up the park, conceding a penalty and getting himself sent off in the process.Stephen O'Donnell rescued a point that kept us in the division.

Good times. Saturday is hopefully the hat-trick but as I say, it's the one match I'm pessimistic about for some reason.

A repeat is written in the stars......

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Then again in 2010 when 10 men dug in deep to get a point that kept us up after Chris Innes idiotically punched a Falkirk player in the face in our own box when the ball was 60 yards up the park, conceding a penalty and getting himself sent off in the process.

He had bitten him. I have proof*.

* A slight crease on Innes' jersey sleeve.

Looking forward to this game but hard to know what Houston is thinking. Surely it won't be Baird/McHugh again!! Would still like to see a defence of Kidd Muirhead Grant Leahy but I've wanted that since Xmas so not much chance now.

The result of the St Mirren v Morton game in midweek will no doubt dictate as to what kind of team Houston puts out on Saturday.

35 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

The result of the St Mirren v Morton game in midweek will no doubt dictate as to what kind of team Houston puts out on Saturday.

So if we get horsed by Morton, we're more likely to get horsed by you, too :(

I simply cannot see us getting anything from this match. Falkirk are the second best team in the league AFAIC and I wouldn't begrudge them promotion at all.

A point per game would (probably) do us at this stage, but we don't have the personnel to shitfest our way to survival, sadly.

I remember thinking at the 2009 game how dire a team we had that season. Little did I know that the season after we'd be even worse. It was a minor miracle that even after that tonking we still ended up ahead of saints in the league. Hopefully saints will take something from the derby with a few red cards and injuries thrown in. Our recent home forms been poor so we'll need all the help we can get.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That was some performance that day, probably one of Saints best in the SPL. Never seen Jack Ross play as well as he did that day. Mallo should have got all his teammates wages as well- he was terrific. 

Anyway this game is the one where Ayr are at home to United at 5.15 right? Pretty worried we'll lose this one and they'll win that tbh. 

I'll be throwing the toys out the pram if it's Baird/McHugh again. I like both players but together it just doesn't work and we end up sending aimless punts for them to chase the whole game before changing it when we concede or when we realise we need to win.

I think Houston will go with this, Sibbald is really effective on the wing and Hippo doesn't seem to be flavour of the month with him at all.

Thompson

Kidd Grant Luca Leahy

Craigen Taiwo Kerr Sibbald

Austin Baird

Hippo's not played much since his suspension against QoS

An unused sub at Ayr

Last 25 mins vs Morton

Last 30 mins vs Hibs

90 mins vs Raith

Hauled off after at hour at Dundee Utd

He was absolutely on fire before his suspension as well. Sibbs has played brilliantly when on LM in his absence. I'd rather have both of them on the pitch at all times though 

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Dunno how you work that out with four games to go and nothing decided yet no mater the results of both midweek games

Anyone know whats actually up with Rogers, sure it was said stomach bug. No complaints as I've felt all along and get a decent keeper of your own and use the loan for an outfield player who will make more of a difference 

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Who was the ex player ? And what did he say ?

Archived