Fastest Junior goal ever?

Hillonearth

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

What a strike that is !! U could say that the goalie should have done better , but he's not expecting that to happen , u have to give hill guy loads of credit for attempting and executing it .

He's not it that bad a position either. No way he should be getting beat from there but it's such an audacious attempt you can't really fault him for being caught off-guard. 

2 hours ago, happy said:

Fantastic strike. Roy of the Rovers or Mary of the Hill stuff,ha.

Personally I blame the 3 man wall on the edge of the centre circle.

Watching it back I actually think the three of them maybe unsighted the keeper giving him even less reaction time.

It seems to have gone viral anyway - all over the news and we've got the TV coming to training apparently. The match programme's going to be online-only for the Shettleston game this week because we've had to redo it to cover all the reaction to "The Goal" and missed the print deadline!

I'd just settle for nae publicity and another three points on Saturday :)

Actually, here's an extract from the forthcoming programme editorial which hopefully sums it up:

When the Hill's Gavin Stokes nearly burst the Clydebank net with the first kick of the ball last weekend, everyone knew they'd just witnessed something special. Just how special, we had no idea at the time.

It now appears that Stokesy's goal is quite possibly the fastest goal ever scored anywhere ever, having now been timed at 2.1 seconds after kickoff. Although there was one faster recorded at two seconds dead in a Saudi U23 match, the result of that game was later declared null and void. There's a distinct possibility the 300-odd people present at Lochburn Park last week saw a bit of history and a world record into the bargain.

Not bad for six quid.

The Juniors tend to get a bad press, satirised and mocked due to the 100 mph nature of many games and the physicality of the grade. While it's true that tiki-taka football never really caught on in Junior circles, anyone turning up at a game is guaranteed to see a combination of honest endeavour leavened with the odd piece of astonishing skill like we saw on Saturday - let's face it, if the likes of Messi or Ronaldo had pulled off something with the same level of audacity that Stokesy showed last weekend, we'd never hear the end of it as one of the greatest goals ever.

As it was, we were lucky enough to see one of the greatest goals ever on our own patch. Football fans all over the world would have loved to have seen it live.

We did.

On 08/04/2017 at 23:39, rednblack said:

This was 3.25 players harley on park unreal.  Neilston Pollok  

Thst was Neilston scoring after Pollok had made it 1-0 in 79 mins, Gary Sturrock scoring straight from the restart.

The opening goal did eventually arrive moments later. Neal Diamond played a precise ball to Drew McWilliams a few yards inside the Lok half, and he burst down the right hand side heading towards the Neilston penalty area. With no support though, he elected to have a go himself and was delighted to see the ball nestle in the back of the net after thumping down off the underside of the bar with Hewiitt well beaten. (1-0)

Straight from the restart, Neilston were back on terms. The ball at kick off moved a foot, and Gary Sturrock glanced up to see Barnes standing 25 yards out, so he hit a looping chip fully 55 yards into the top corner. (1-1)

Just saw the goal on sky sports news. Great goal. First time I've saw anything to do with the Juniors on a sky channel. Though they did say the goal was scored in the 8th teir of the Scottish league. 

I'm actually going to claim some of the credit for this for my own team. :thumsup2

Gavin Stokes is a product of the Glencairn youth system, and he and Del Esplin (now at Cumnock Juniors) were the central midfield of our u21s a few years ago. Del and Gavin used to regularly shoot from the kick off in their time at the u21s, but I have to admit that I don't recall either of them actually scoring.

34 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

The video is now on the BBC sport website complete with sound.

It's went nuts over the last 48 hours - there's been coverage from as far afield as Indonesia and Vietnam. Here's Stokesy and John the manager on Radio Yorkshire (!) this morning:

https://twitter.com/Radio_Yorkshire/status/852061083141496833/video/1

1 minute ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Hope Maryhill get relegated noo ya bampots !!

;)

I was talking to John Hughes last night - I was saying I felt bad for Clydebank as the goal was just one of those crazy things that hardly ever come off. It's a shame that somebody had to be on the receiving end..

No' now - I'm glad. Glad, I tell you! :)

ha ha ... I can console myself with knowing I didn't actually witness it in the flesh as I was still walking up to the ground.

I think there's a lot that missed it - I spoke to a couple of people who were timing the kickoff and missed it while setting their watches, and another whose pal asked him a question at the crucial moment and he turned round to answer! :lol:

I've got to admit Clydebank have been great about it , as not many teams would have shown the amount of grace and good humour they've shown since - the guy that runs your Twitter's hit out with some crackers.

tbh as much as the goal stung a good bit and it going viral an all ... it was more the performance that accompanied the next 90 odd mins that was more disappointing. Never really laid a glove - big Jack will have had harder days at the office.

tbh as much as the goal stung a good bit and it going viral an all ... it was more the performance that accompanied the next 90 odd mins that was more disappointing. Never really laid a glove - big Jack will have had harder days at the office.

It was a strange game - I'd said to a couple of people beforehand I reckoned I'd have been happy with a point, but the Clydebank team seemed to turn up resigned to spending another year in the division and we turned up scrapping for our lives - after the daft sending off in the first half I thought we'd blown it big time, but it just never seemed to happen.

I'm actually going to claim some of the credit for this for my own team. :thumsup2
Gavin Stokes is a product of the Glencairn youth system, and he and Del Esplin (now at Cumnock Juniors) were the central midfield of our u21s a few years ago. Del and Gavin used to regularly shoot from the kick off in their time at the u21s, but I have to admit that I don't recall either of them actually scoring.

Gavin is a product of Drumchapel United ,he then spent almost 5 seasons at Dundee United before moving to the Glens for 15 months before moving onto Knightswood juveniles then Alloa for 6 months,played for a few other teams, Petershill, Meadow etc before signing for us in October. [emoji106]

Archived