The lesser known Scottish Invincibles - potentially

It's a fair point, Whitehill Welfare are playing in a 16 team league where half the participants are fellow clubs from the EoSFL.  A little different from Wigtown if they were to go up.

Do those involved with SoSFL clubs think a Lowland League West would solve the issues, ie travel restricted to the Glasgow, Ayrshire and D&G?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a fair point, Whitehill Welfare are playing in a 16 team league where half the participants are fellow clubs from the EoSFL.  A little different from Wigtown if they were to go up.
Do those involved with SoSFL clubs think a Lowland League West would solve the issues, ie travel restricted to the Glasgow, Ayrshire and D&G?

A LL West might be a potential idea... But I'm not 100% sure it is the best idea! My personal thought was of a North, Central and South split...

North League would obviously be the highland league! With the NCL becoming a feeder at tier 6

Central would probably see the central belt teams face off as well as those in North Ayrshire too...

South would see Dumfries & Galloway and South Ayrshire!

The Borders and West Ayrshire would have to be geographically split between the Central and South Leagues with these being "Border Regions" where teams could be moved between the league's based on promotions and that! The "border regions" idea is used in the SRU leagues and also in non league English football

Obviously no idea is going to be perfect but I feel this is probably the best option

The problem in Scotland is that the central belt contains such a high percentage of the country's population.  With that in mind, I think that a North/East/West split (like in the juniors) is the only real option.  The problem with having North/Central/South is that you'd have so many clubs in the central region and far, far fewer in the other two.  I don't think there are anywhere near enough clubs in the south of Scotland for there to be a tier 5 region dedicated to it.  A big problem, no matter which system you use, is that the north covers a big area but is very sparsely populated so it's pretty much impossible to avoid lots of travel.

We already have successful North South and  East of Scotland leagues built up over the years .They have had good times and not so good times but they have survived due to hard work by committees and league officials.

Surely if West of Scotland teams want to move on there is nothing to stop them forming a west senior leage on par with North South and East.

Nothing that is bar the fact the SFA in their misguided wisdom are encouraging them to look for the easy way out and mess up an otherwise well functioning South league.

Surprised (not) the SFA have ignored this completely.

Records can confirm the three regions have all had difficult spells but sorted themselves out.

The SFA should be making it easier for clubs to function properly not more difficult.  

You get some intelligent posts and then you get one nutter has to put his tuppence worth in,eh Jake. Bet you don't even know where Wigtown is.

Down south and apparently to far away to play Lowland League sides :lol:

Jake... if you think boys have travelled 200 mile round trips for games all season then chucked league your nuts, lost to a superior edu team and then to mids after goin down to 10 men after 15 has cost us the league, can 100% tell you the boys were tryn to win it and if had the club deal with issues of going into lowland league or not

Pile of nonsense Neily, you know we know in fact everyone knows it. Don't blame you's throwing it but stop trying to defend it. Will be interesting next year when same thing come around. Saints will be out of winning the league contention and promotion with the changes in their team so could be wigtowns league again!

If you genuinly think a team can send 11 players out and ask them not to try and win a game of football you're very naive. Especially the group of boys down at Wigtown.

We played them in their last game of the season, where there was still a slight chance of them winning the title. They were giving absolutley everything to win.

I'm with Maldo on this one

Any normal player would surely just win the league then if we're forced into LL and couldn't commit find a new club i.e. NS 10 mile down the road

Why not just congratulate Edu who are officially the best team in the league and move on. 

8 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

If you genuinly think a team can send 11 players out and ask them not to try and win a game of football you're very naive. Especially the group of boys down at Wigtown.

We played them in their last game of the season, where there was still a slight chance of them winning the title. They were giving absolutley everything to win.

I attended this game as a neutral hoping Wigtown might still pull it off as a local football fan and Mallo is 100% correct ! Those lads on the Park gave their all and I've heard from several friends that have seen them in recent weeks that's been the norm so for some of you to suggest they didn't is utterly ridiculous and I'd also agree completely with Neily that some of the guys playing for our local sides make regular round trips of 150 to 200 miles each week and if that's not commitment then I don't know what is !!! Rocky is also spot on with his assessment that the team would simply have kept it going , won the League then they individually could have decided whether to follow the Club into the Lowland or not 

Why would they go and play with newton rocky out of frying pan and in to the fire if Newton get the licence they are trying for million miles away I know but do clubs say before a ball is kicked next season we want to lead the league for a while but not to win it,saving grace next year there should be a play off if both league winners are licenced but I don't think even at this stage that a so called licenced club will win the south next year

Didn't throw anything away yesterday. Head and shoulders above Heston.
Four well taken goals and could of been more.
Referee got bored and tried to make it about him in the second half.

Who was the ref? Billy Riddick ??

One of the best performances of the season by the lads! Dominant from start to finish... The perks of having more subs than you need at a game

21 hours ago, Aguerooooo said:

Who was the ref? Billy Riddick ??

He was on the line but must have realised after about 60 minutes that he hadn't done anything to get noticed so made sure the Heston manager was sent to the stands for doing nothing out of the ordinary. The quicker that wee boy stops refereeing, the better for everyone in the league.

He was on the line but must have realised after about 60 minutes that he hadn't done anything to get noticed so made sure the Heston manager was sent to the stands for doing nothing out of the ordinary. The quicker that wee boy stops refereeing, the better for everyone in the league.

It's been a few months since I've been but is their a stand at Kirkcudbright now? Well done to St Cuthberts if they have done this.

Archived