Edinburgh - Pub Crawl

The Minertaur

26 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I didn't like Frankenstein's. Too noisy and surrounded by pesky young people.

I realise that makes me sound about 83.

Ive been feeling that way about some pubs since i was mid 20's.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably late with this, but...
I'm no expert on Edinburgh pubs, the only one I actually know is The Wee Pub, and I liked it fine.  There seems to be a lot more, but my experience was cut rather short last time after some very upstanding men tried to punch me and my friend in the face for looking and sounding Spanish. My face still remembers those genlemen, and I hope that the balls of the one who made me go to a dentist remembers my boot. It was a fun,fun time in Edinburgh. I'm thinking of going there again and trying some more local pubs and bars.

Anyway, here's some more Kate to compliment the one above.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, ViktorVic said:

I'm no expert on Edinburgh pubs, the only one I actually know is The Wee Pub, and I liked it fine.  There seems to be a lot more, but my experience was cut rather short last time after some very upstanding men tried to punch me and my friend in the face for looking and sounding Spanish. My face still remembers those genlemen, and I hope that the balls of the one who made me go to a dentist remembers my boot. It was a fun,fun time in Edinburgh. I'm thinking of going there again and trying some more local pubs and bars.

giphy.gif

On 5/2/2017 at 09:47, ViktorVic said:

giphy.gif

Unfortunately the stag do was last Saturday so I missed out on getting punched in the face. Try and be more punctual with your posts.

I didn't like Frankenstein's. Too noisy and surrounded by pesky young people.

I realise that makes me sound about 83.

Frankensteins is awful, always reminds me of Sloans in Aberdeen. Overpriced, poor atmosphere, terrible beer on tap, too loud and filled with a certain sort of young people who don't know how to act in pubs. But for some reason any time I'm in a group of people who I don't regularly drink with (workmates or someone's birthday who isn't in my closer group of friends) Frankensteins always gets suggested.

Frankensteins is awful, always reminds me of Sloans in Aberdeen. Overpriced, poor atmosphere, terrible beer on tap, too loud and filled with a certain sort of young people who don't know how to act in pubs. But for some reason any time I'm in a group of people who I don't regularly drink with (workmates or someone's birthday who isn't in my closer group of friends) Frankensteins always gets suggested.

Well it is "World Famous".

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

It's pish and you are too old for it now anyway.

You are just annoyed that more and more pubs are refusing to serve men in Lonsdale shorts.

I've not been in but I've been past the Wetherspoons on Lothian Road (as recommended by throbber) and it generally has a crowd of semi-vagrants and bouncers outside. I've never been to Frankenstein's either and don't intend to visit any time soon.

I'd like to see a topical web series of Shandon Par and throbber going for drinks in each others favoured establishments.  Shandon could take throbber to the Canny Man one night and then the next it'd be the Foot of the Walk.  They could wear the clothing appropriate for each venue, so in Morningside thorbber could wear Paul Nuttal-style tweed, whereas for the FotW Shandon would get the head-to-toe Lonsdale and Slazenger look that throbber has perfected.

• 2 weeks later...

I may as well ask this here instead of starting a new thread.

I'll have a couple of hours to kill in Edinburgh one afternoon later this week. Can anyone recommend a decent place for some scran? I'll be on my jack so nothing too formal and it needs to be within reasonable walking distance of Waverley. I'm not interested in any chain type places. Preferably it would be something unusual. By that, I mean something that isn't typical pub grub.