Edinburgh - Pub Crawl

The Minertaur

Can only reiterate invergowrie arab's point. Do not go to the grass market. Note, there will be folk in your group that will want to, but it's a miserable experience if you're in a group larger than 3, bouncers dying for a reason to kick you back as the pub will be busy regardless, and you're giving them a reason if you're dressed up. More importantly, you'll get bored of having to give a grand speech to get into any pub you want a pint in.

Head to Rose St/George St (not the latter if there's dressing up) as you'll actually get in places without an issue, and you can work your way up towards the west end. Alternatively get off at haymarket and wander up towards central Edinburgh from there, by either going direct or by taking a right and cracking down Lothian Road. 

See this is the issue we're worried about.  There were plans to dress the stag up in all manner of things until I pointed out that we'd just be walking round pubs and not getting in!  Rose St does seem like a good shout.

I agree with the Rose Street shout, however, also head to the Old Town and Cowgate and into the bars down there like the 3 sisters and Vodka Revolution. They welcome stag parties with open arms.

Disappointed no one has yet mentioned the Pubic triangle, when one is in Edinburgh researching my Mark Caine novels I do like to delve into the available treasures around there.

I do like The Grassmarket for a session of afternoon delight but of a weekend evening I'd avoid it like the plague.

I'm thinking that your pleasure will depend on what sort of day you want to have - if you want to be ripped off then do all of the public houses on the Mile, if you want lots of pubs in small area then the Grassmarket or Rose Street is your destination and if you want to sample something a bit more exotic then I'd head down to Victoria Quay and work my way back to Leith Walk and then ambulate via all of the hostelries on the Walk to Waverley.

Champagne all round, chin chin.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:50, The Minertaur said:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I'm going on a stag party in Edinburgh in a few weeks and the best man is needing help coming up with a pub crawl route.  Basically it's looking to start around Queen St and head up towards Frankenstein. Should be about 15 of us going and all pub suggestions will be considered.

Go more exotic and head along Porty high street all the way to Musselburgh. There are a couple of really good boxers working the doors and the fun part would be finding out which ones.

I'd echo the others' sentiments about Rose Street being more welcoming in terms of big groups being able to just pile in. Or start at Haymarket and work up towards the pubic triangle. Head along to the International Bar too at the end of Brougham Place/edge of the Meadows. Nothing could possibly go tits up there.

The marksman, foot of the walk, central, harp and castle and brass monkey are all good boozers but there's a few dodgey places as well that have weird hipster types in them which you should be wary of. I was at that wine merchant pub opposite the backpackers hostel earlier and it was nothing to write home about and very expensive and full of weirdos. Other pubs there like the joker and thief just aren't that good either so I just can't recommend Leith Walk for a decent pub crawl.

4 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Leith is a decent stretch for bars.  I tell where is good for a wee change of scenery, Linlithgow.  There must be at least 10 decent boozers on the high street with the first two being within 50 yards of train station.

Don't know too much about the pubs there but know quite a few guys from Linlithgow and they're really sound.

What reasons?  There's loads of bars/pubs of about as wide a variety as is possible.

I just think leith walk is awash with places
That are pretty average over all. What places there do you think excell and why?

Leith is a decent stretch for bars.  I tell where is good for a wee change of scenery, Linlithgow.  There must be at least 10 decent boozers on the high street with the first two being within 50 yards of train station.

Seconded. Despite being a Bo'nesser, done most of my drinking in Linlithgow back in the day. Been a while but Linlithgow was decent for an easy-going type of pub-crawl and had a few decent boozers. I assume it's still much the same. Not the type of place you'd go on a 20-strong stag-do type crawl mind you.

Depends on the time of day/who I'm with/what we're doing. There's plenty of good places for pints pre match with mates to going out at night with the WAGS.

There are plenty of places but what makes LW the best strip of pubs in Scotland? What
Would a punter going there expect
To experience to make them
Think so!

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

There are plenty of places but what makes LW the best strip of pubs in Scotland? What
Would a punter going there expect
To experience to make them
Think so!

I've said it already.  There's an awful lot of bars that can cater to all tastes generally.  Even the problems with variety of music is better than it used to be.