Edinburgh - Pub Crawl

The Minertaur

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I'm going on a stag party in Edinburgh in a few weeks and the best man is needing help coming up with a pub crawl route.  Basically it's looking to start around Queen St and head up towards Frankenstein. Should be about 15 of us going and all pub suggestions will be considered.

I would recommend starting at the Standing Order on George street then the Alexander Graham bell also on George street then the booking office next to the train station and then finish off at the Caley picture house on Lothian road.

We did a Leith Walk pub crawl between Xmas and NY. It started early doors so most pubs weren't particularly busy but it was decent enough.

I don't think the pubs on leith walk are that good. There isn't even that many pubs, particularly in the top half.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

I would recommend starting at the Standing Order on George street then the Alexander Graham bell also on George street then the booking office next to the train station and then finish off at the Caley picture house on Lothian road.

As tempting as that is I'll maybe only suggest one of them if any :P

Just now, The Minertaur said:

As tempting as that is I'll maybe only suggest one of them if any :P

The one on Lothian road is the most breathtaking of the four so you could go there and then work your way round to the grass market that way. Just so long as you don't go in the Hanging Bat, its full of wankers. 

I haven't done it for years now but Rose St - with an occasional sojourn into George St, was the berries. The best part of it was the short distance from one pub to the next.

I can't think of another street, anywhere in the world with so many really good pubs - in Rose St you're spoiled for choice!

:cheers

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I haven't done it for years now but Rose St - with an occasional sojourn into George St, was the berries. The best part of it was the short distance from one pub to the next.

I can't think of another street, anywhere in the world with so many really good pubs - in Rose St you're spoiled for choice!

:cheers

Whats so good about the pubs on Rose street? It has significantly less pubs/atmosphere than it used to have. 

6 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I'm going on a stag party in Edinburgh in a few weeks and the best man is needing help coming up with a pub crawl route.  Basically it's looking to start around Queen St and head up towards Frankenstein. Should be about 15 of us going and all pub suggestions will be considered.

Don't start at Queen Street and don't go to Franktenstein's would be my first piece of advice.

The Shore, Stockbridge, Rose Street or Grassmarket, probably in that order, would be my pub crawls of choice.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Whats so good about the pubs on Rose street? It has significantly less pubs/atmosphere than it used to have. 

They must have gone downhill since I left the area,admittedly about 20 years ago. I've got really happy memories of places like Milne's Bar, Dirty Dicks, Rose St Brewery, the Abbotsford and not quite Rose St, I know, but Cafe Royal and the Guildford used to be pretty special.

Are they really not so good now?

They must have gone downhill since I left the area,admittedly about 20 years ago. I've got really happy memories of places like Milne's Bar, Dirty Dicks, Rose St Brewery, the Abbotsford and not quite Rose St, I know, but Cafe Royal and the Guildford used to be pretty special.
Are they really not so good now?

I'm not there that often but it's certainly not what it was 20 years ago from what I have heard about it back then and I couldn't tell you anything about the pubs you have listed. The black bull is the only one I know by name.

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I found the Grassmarket disastrous for getting in on a stag do. We weren't even pissed or dressing the stag up, just not interested in having groups of guys it seemed. Ended up binning it and heading to Rose Street and it was fine.

See this is the issue we're worried about.  There were plans to dress the stag up in all manner of things until I pointed out that we'd just be walking round pubs and not getting in!  Rose St does seem like a good shout.

See this is the issue we're worried about.  There were plans to dress the stag up in all manner of things until I pointed out that we'd just be walking round pubs and not getting in! Rose St does seem like a good shout.

I've always found this to be drinking in Edinburgh, in a nutshell. Which is why I was going to suggest starting at The Standing Order, then the Haymarket Bar, then get on the train to Glasgow.