Final Renfrewshire Derby of the season

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I've seen a lot of hibs over the past few years and mcginn has never stood out. Cummings has always performed against us on the other hand

I agree. Never been overly impressed with McGinn. He does have well connected family in the Scottish game though do should ensure a career for him.

I was always more impressed with Henderson last season and Cummings this season.

Have only seen John McGinn against us this season and he has been ok but not outstanding. Same could be said for Forbes, and Cummings. However having watched McGinn since he was a young lad with us he will make it to the top level. No doubt about it. I have seen him completely dominate midfields in the Premiership when he was only 18.

And the sooner Hibs sell him the better so we can get our cut. :)

20 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Have only seen John McGinn against us this season and he has been ok but not outstanding. Same could be said for Forbes, and Cummings. However having watched McGinn since he was a young lad with us he will make it to the top level. No doubt about it. I have seen him completely dominate midfields in the Premiership when he was only 18.

And the sooner Hibs sell him the better so we can get our cut. :)

When you say the top level do you mean our top league or the very top level ?

Also, if he dominated Premier League midfields at 18 and is now playing in 2nd tier has he went backwards ??

Also, if he dominated Premier League midfields at 18 and is now playing in 2nd tier has he went backwards ??

I don't think he'll become a Champions League regular or anything, I could see him playing in the Premier League in England though.

The reason he is playing 2nd tier now, is because Hibs were the only team who stumped up the cash for the development fee.

John McGinn would be a regular for most Scottish Premiership teams, I've no doubt about that.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I do not mean Scotland. When he first went to Hibs he was outstanding but doesn't appear to have pushed on much this season. Whether that was due to his injury or the calibre of players around him I do not know. We had a similar situation at St Mirren. Stevie Mallan has great talent but was mince in the first half of the season and many supporters wanted to sell him. Now that Stephen McGinn is alongside him him game has improved no end and he now looks like the player we all know is in there. Reckon McGinn needs to move to a bigger club with better players (no disrespect to Hibs) to continue to develop his undoubted talent. I think it is difficult for young midfielders to shoulder the expectations of a team with lesser players around them.

14 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think he'll become a Champions League regular or anything, I could see him playing in the Premier League in England though.

The reason he is playing 2nd tier now, is because Hibs were the only team who stumped up the cash for the development fee.

John McGinn would be a regular for most Scottish Premiership teams, I've no doubt about that.

Well I think that's a big ask. Not many lads from the championship or even Premiership go on to play in the English top league on a regular basis. 

Scott Arfield the last one maybe ?

I hope you are right though cos that can only be good for Scotland.

Well I think that's a big ask. Not many lads from the championship or even Premiership go on to play in the English top league on a regular basis. 

Scott Argued the last one maybe ?

I hope you are right though cos that can only be good for Scotland.

I agree, which is why I said 'could'. It'll definitely be a big ask, but players have done it. Arfield, Adam, McCarthy, McCarthur, Robertson all played in our lower leagues and now regularly feature in the English top flight.

I think people forget he's still only 22, he's won two cups and has a few caps. I'd say if he doesn't finish his career having either played in the Premier League for a bit, or with Celtic he hasn't fulfilled his potential.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I agree, which is why I said 'could'. It'll definitely be a big ask, but players have done it. Arfield, Adam, McCarthy, McCarthur, Robertson all played in our second tier and now regularly feature in the English top flight.

I think people forget he's still only 22, he's won two cups and has a few caps. I'd say if he doesn't finish his career having either played in the Premier League for a bit, or with Celtic he hasn't fulfilled his potential.

Good point and well made. Those boys have all improved by moving south.

I hope McGinn does follow that route and does not go to Celtic though. I prefer to seeout young players trying their hand at a better level. If they don't make it at the higher level Celtic is still likely an option after that anyway.

I do not mean Scotland. When he first went to Hibs he was outstanding but doesn't appear to have pushed on much this season. Whether that was due to his injury or the calibre of players around him I do not know. We had a similar situation at St Mirren. Stevie Mallan has great talent but was mince in the first half of the season and many supporters wanted to sell him. Now that Stephen McGinn is alongside him him game has improved no end and he now looks like the player we all know is in there. Reckon McGinn needs to move to a bigger club with better players (no disrespect to Hibs) to continue to develop his undoubted talent. I think it is difficult for young midfielders to shoulder the expectations of a team with lesser players around them.

Why would anyone want a player sold when they knew they were a decent player?

Tony Andreu is the best midfielder in this division I'd have him ahead of McGinn & Forbes.

5 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Tony Andreu is the best midfielder in this division I'd have him ahead of McGinn & Forbes.

I am probably bias but I think Sibbald has the potential to be better than all of them.

He has added goals to his game this season. He does need to build up a bit more strength though.

Hope, when he goes, he moves where he can continue to develop and not sit on a bench.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I am probably bias but I think Sibbald has the potential to be better than all of them.

He has added goals to his game this season. He does need to build up a bit more strength though.

Hope, when he goes, he moves where he can continue to develop and not sit on a bench.

if we dont go up this season id like to see Sibbald move on to further his career. as much as we'd miss him the boy deserves it.

52 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

You will have to ask some of the posters on Black & White Army. When Mallan wasn't up to his usual standards and Barnsley seemed set to sign him in Jan a lot of posters on there were in take the money mode. Thank goodness that deal fell through.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

You will have to ask some of the posters on Black & White Army. When Mallan wasn't up to his usual standards and Barnsley seemed set to sign him in Jan a lot of posters on there were in take the money mode. Thank goodness that deal fell through.

Hands up, I was one of them. In the same vein that McGinn, a clearly talented lad had given up the ghost in his last season with us, so to had Mallan by looks of things.

My thinking was that there was no point in keeping a lad who simply didn't want to be here and didn't look at all arsed. I'm delighted to have been proven completely wrong and it says a lot about Stevie's attitude that he's bounced back so brilliantly. Any scouts watching him since January might be thinking that it'll take more than £125k to pry him away now. Indeed, I'd rather have him for one more season then let him go for a developmental fee if he doesn't want to hang about than sell him on the cheap in pre-season.

Archived