Final Renfrewshire Derby of the season

A week should be plenty of time to get a thread on this started. 

A massive Saturday for both clubs for very different reasons, before a final meeting of this season (and potentially a few more). 

We're a different prospect altogether from that last game at Cappielow which in 22 years of following St. Mirren up and down the road, was the outright worst performance I've ever had the misfortune of watching. We were a team doomed then. Hopefully this team will not go about their business like the side did back in November. 

We've hit form just in the nick of time this season and we have 4 difficult away games in our last 5. Morton by comparison are going through their first wee stammer for several months, picking one point up from their last three games.

Morgan missing will be a hammer blow but Stelios is more than capable to fill in. I'd imagine 5 points on the road between those 4 matches will be enough if we manage to win on Saturday and beat Raith at home too. I'd settle for a point in this one, A victory would be fucking delightful though. 

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A week should be plenty of time to get a thread on this started. 

A massive Saturday for both clubs for very different reasons, before a final meeting of this season (and potentially a few more). 

We're a different prospect altogether from that last game at Cappielow which in 22 years of follow St. Mirren up and down the road, was the outright worst performance I've ever had the misfortune of watching. We were a team doomed then. Hopefully this team will not go about their business like the side did back in November. 

We've hit form just in the nick of time this season and we have 4 difficult away games in our last 5. Morton by comparison are going through their first wee stammer for several months, picking one point up from their last three games.

Morgan missing will be a hammer blow but Stelios is more than capable to fill in. I'd imagine 5 points on the road between those 4 matches will be enough and if we manage to win on Saturday, I'd settle for a point in this one. A victory would be fucking delightful though. 

Our lack of depth in the squad appears to be hurting us now. Players are really starting to tire and our midfielders/defenders have stopped scoring goals. Isn't ideal that we have Hibs a couple of days before it but I'm a wee bit worried of a St Mirren win since they've finally hit decent form. 

40 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

St Mirren are starting to get over-confident. I expect them to come back down to earth with a bump

Not necessarily. The vast majority of confidence in us is coming from opposition fans. 

We've supported St Mirren for far too long to ever take anything for granted. 

I don't know of anyone connected with St Mirren who is over confident. We've given ourselves a very decent chance of catching a few teams, but the job is far from done. 

Its in our own hands now, and we must keep the run going with a win against Dumbarton this Saturday. One point at Morton wouldn't be a disaster.

50 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Morton are starting to shite it, so I'm going to have to go for a Buddies win.

Still managed to sword your mob at home.

_95222853_13111626.jpg

37 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

If we beat Dumbarton then I'd take a draw with Morton. Would be great to win it though and have an equal Head to Head with Morton for the season even though they have been so much better than us for most of it. 

You'll take a defeat and that's the end of it.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I don't know of anyone connected with St Mirren who is over confident. We've given ourselves a very decent chance of catching a few teams, but the job is far from done. 

Its in our own hands now, and we must keep the run going with a win against Dumbarton this Saturday. One point at Morton wouldn't be a disaster.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

If we beat Dumbarton then I'd take a draw with Morton. Would be great to win it though and have an equal Head to Head with Morton for the season even though they have been so much better than us for most of it. 

Would drawing with Dumbarton and beating Morton not be sweeter for you lot? You still got the 4 points you want from the two fixtures and a derby win could propel you on for the rest of the season. I realise I'm painting this picture from a heavily biased viewpoint, but thought I'd throw it out there.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Would drawing with Dumbarton and beating Morton not be sweeter for you lot? You still got the 4 points you want from the two fixtures and a derby win could propel you on for the rest of the season. I realise I'm painting this picture from a heavily biased viewpoint, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Of course it would, but it's the classic 'one game at a time' thing: it has far more to do with the order in which that games are taking place.

You're a (much) closer rival atm, so would be good to haul you in, and three points at the weekend would relieve some pressure. A draw or loss against you and we head into the derby match under almost intolerable pressure levels.

As for the actual game, I said on a different thread I'd take a draw, and I'm sticking by that. The thing is, we've won three in a row. We never win four in a row, and definitely not five, so given Davis and Morgan are out, I'd bite your hand off for a point, no more injuries, and be happy that the c***s can't relegate us no matter how  results go between now and then.

Pretty much what Coventry Saint said.. Dumbarton will still be very much in the relegation battle if we beat them and the more teams we have the opportunity to overtake the better so it's still a 6 pointer. The Morton game is a game in hand so a draw would still be a point gained on everyone.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They're just being realistic, Moonster. They know there's no chance of them beating Morton.

Good luck on Saturday! It would be funny if the skunks pummeled Dumbarton for 90 minutes, without scoring, and Dumbarton were to be awarded a stoppage time penalty, for a blatant dive by Thomson, winning 0-1.

Archived