Airdrie vs Brechin

Yes we were poor today, but if we had taken the chances we had we could have at least had a draw. Jackson and Trouten had chances with only the keeper to beat (like Russell who took his) but couldn't find the shot. Fusco had a clear shot from about 10 yards but, as usual, he blasted it well over the bar. Jackson got between your 2 central defenders on a couple of occasions and was unlucky with his header just before our goal.
We gave the ball away for the first and third goals and that led to one pass to Russell who got 2 goals. Airdrie's second goal came after a Brechin corner when 2 shots were blocked and Airdrie broke away to score easily. However, we got exactly what we deserved from the game.
As for the ball boy incident - he should just get the ball back to the player and not try to be a smartass. Airdrie did the right thing in replacing him but the fans shouldn't have treated him like a hero. He's supposed to represent his club and I would expect Brechin to sack a ball boy if he did that for us.
On to Alloa next week and hope the defence gets sorted out and strikers have their shooting boots on for that game.
Mon the Hedge!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

I actually felt Gorman strolled the game today and McIntosh impressed again. Mensing also had a decent game today.

Rohan is young and you still need to take that into account and its a big ask to ask a young keeper to play 40+ matches without going through a bad spell. Rohan has ability the save at 2-1 in this match was crucial. He is a young keeper learning and maybe I'm going soft but maybe it is best we back our young keeper at a crucial stage of the season.

He's being going through a bad spell since the start of the season. I know I'm in a minority on here but I'm certain I'm not in the minority among the fans in general. I don't always sit in the same place and the comments around me wherever I sit are extremely negative about him. The mistake today was schoolboy stuff and he's been directly responsible for a lot of goals this season. You should try reading the comments about him on the upmarket site the Stomp.

I actually felt Gorman strolled the game today and McIntosh impressed again. Mensing also had a decent game today.
Rohan is young and you still need to take that into account and its a big ask to ask a young keeper to play 40+ matches without going through a bad spell. Rohan has ability the save at 2-1 in this match was crucial. He is a young keeper learning and maybe I'm going soft but maybe it is best we back our young keeper at a crucial stage of the season.

I wouldn't say they strolled it there were at least 3-4 occasions in the second half especially that they were caught out with a ball over the top.

I would agree with you to a point about Ferguson being a young keeper learning etc and yes our defence for most of the season hasn't provided him with adequate protection but he should be learning from his mistakes it's the same mistakes week in week out. But fair play to the boy he's stuck it out and hopefully it's the making of the boy.

6 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

You should go back 620 posts and become that "long time reader" again.

Utter numpty

I take it you don't agree with me? Sorry if I hurt your feelings about "Rohan". At least you called it right by leaving Russell out of your starting eleven this week. Utter numpty.

1 minute ago, waysider said:

He's being going through a bad spell since the start of the season. I know I'm in a minority on here but I'm certain I'm not in the minority among the fans in general. I don't always sit in the same place and the comments around me wherever I sit are extremely negative about him. The mistake today was schoolboy stuff and he's been directly responsible for a lot of goals this season. You should try reading the comments about him on the upmarket site the Stomp.

Every week we do the same dance. I'll not attempt to reason with you this week and just point out he was the Ladbroke league 1 player of the month in November so you're talking utter sh1te. 

Yes he isn't playing well, we know, and he's been hung out to dry with no replacement available. However some of your statements about him are cringeworthy. 

On today's game , we were rank rotten, can someone tell  ally love and James dale to stop giving the ball away in terrible areas , we gifted airdrie 1st and 3rd buy losing the ball in terrible areas , second was a great team goal, some airdrie fans need to be realistic we could of on another day scored 5-6-7 goals with glaring misses, your midfield won you the game, it's the first time ive seen Hutton and I thought he was exceptional, on to the next game for us, must win away to Alloa , the league is tightening up now , 

"Sack the ball boy" I've heard it all now :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was enjoying the 3-1 but sack the ball boy has just topped it [emoji23][emoji23]

Overall I thought we played well - although the first 15 or so mins of the second half showed we're still capable of some bomb-scare defending. Credit to Stewart thought for creating the third and killing it off. Far more comfortable after that.

A decent performance and a deserved 3 points. Brechin were never really in the game until the goal and their best chances in the game all came from our poor defending but luckily they only managed to get 1 goal. We were never really in any danger of losing the game though as I always felt we could have got another goal if needed. Russell took both his goals well and probably should have got his hat trick. I thought his overall play was good and shows that he's far more effective playing through the middle. Hutton and Conroy controlled the midfield and Stewart put in his usual shift up and down the wing. 

Andy Ryan probably had one of his poorest games in a diamond but still gives 100% and will deservedly win our player of the year awards. Our back 3 had a few shaky moments and on another day Brechin could have scored at least 1 more goal but overall we looked more solid. Ferguson's lack of confidence is clear for all to see. I do think he will turn out to be a good keeper given time but he has made a few costly mistakes. He seems reluctant to come off his line and his kicking has been poor lately. Hopefully he will learn from his first full season as a first choice and come back stronger next season.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

You should try reading the comments about him on the upmarket site the Stomp.

I think most of the stompers post here too, me included. The Stomp can be hilarious, but can be pretty painful at times and lacks the cammeraderie and in depth dialectical analysis prevalent here.

Again the so called experienced players let us down with school boy errors fannying about in the don't fanny about areas. The young boy Lynas dropped to let in Dire(he was today) that's bad management for me.the lad has done well played out of position to at least start. Disappointed yes surprised no

8 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

I think most of the stompers post here too, me included. The Stomp can be hilarious, but can be pretty painful at times and lacks the cammeraderie and in depth dialectical analysis prevalent here.

While on about the Stomp there was a poster called Ceecil who was always worth a read. He posted constantly and even did so from the hospital. His posts suddenly stopped. Does anyone know if anything happened to him?  I hope nothing went wrong with him because his posts brightened up my day.

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

Agree about the save at 2-1 but the goal just before half time could have been a game changer but I have seen quit a few good Airdrie goalies lose in that situation where centre half is coming back under a long ball and panic sets in. ( Even Gasparotto once at Brechin) Felt we deserved the win and the difference between it and the away game was that we scored whilst on top, twice, and Brechin seemed to want to overpass the ball in possession today, rather than counter attack as they did at Brechin . And we did not give away a goal just on half time-oh sorry we did! But Russell recued us today with chance taking at the right times. Players deserve a lot of credit today, even Leitch who frustrates me. And what about those two passes from Brown late on? Felt sorry for Hutton getting a booking for nought. Roll on the A77 to Stranraer.

I hear the guid folk who edit the Dictionary of the Scots Language are updating their definition for the word riddy - which will now be defined with a photo of Darren Dods having a big greetin tantrum about the ballboy.  

11 minutes ago, slangs said:

Again the so called experienced players let us down with school boy errors fannying about in the don't fanny about areas. The young boy Lynas dropped to let in Dire(he was today) that's bad management for me.the lad has done well played out of position to at least start. Disappointed yes surprised no

Who love and dale? dyer wasn't at fault for any of the goals and didn't have a bad game, lynas is a decent squad player but comparing him to dyer is crazy, dyers played spl and championship most of his career ,  lynas got relegated out of Scottish football as east stirling, I don't think lynas has had any particular bad games but if we are goin for play offs I think you play your best players and at this time in my eyes dyer is far superior to lynas, we were the architects of our own down fall today

20 minutes ago, waysider said:

The Stompers call a spade a shovel. Most of them don't care for TW or Ferguson. My comments are restrained by their standard. They are particularly worth a read following a defeat. 

They tend to appear only in defeats but I can sympathise.

Archived