MLB 2017

BerwickMad

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs get on the board with a 2-1 win over the Cards last night. The Cardinals only run was a hard-earned affair as Piscotty got hit by a pitch, then got hit by a throw from the catcher when stealing second, then slid awkardly into home on an infield hit and got hit in the head by the ball. 3 bruises and a sore leg for 1 run and he then got taken out of the game :P

Predictions for division winners this year? I'd go for:

NL Central - Cubs

NL West - Dodgers

NL East - Nationals

AL Central - Indians 

AL West - Rangers

AL East - Red-Sox

Decided to make a concerted effort to get into MLB this season after buying the Show 16 for PS4 late last year and getting stuck into it, by way of introduction I bring you the annual guardian link to the ridiculous food you can kill yourself with

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/apr/03/mlb-stadium-food-meat-cheese-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

The problem is I need a team to keep me interested. 

Only other American sport I follow is the NFL and I follow the Bills (aye, ok, heard them all before) in that and Buffalo obviously doesn't have an MLB team. The only cities I can see in MLB that don't have an NFL team are the Brewers and (very recently) the Cardinals but neither of them immediately appeal. My thinking was to pick one team in the AL and one team in the NL and see who I fall towards more and I've gone for the Orioles on the grounds that I picked them at random when Channel 5 started showing MLB 20 years ago before I lost interest very quickly, and the Mets on the grounds that when folk ask me to pick an NFL team for them I say pick one you'd want to actually go on holiday and see if you were going to America, and Citi Field (and some of that grub in the link) looks great.

edit: forgot the Blue Jays in terms of citieswithout an NFL team

Decided to make a concerted effort to get into MLB this season after buying the Show 16 for PS4 late last year and getting stuck into it, by way of introduction I bring you the annual guardian link to the ridiculous food you can kill yourself with
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/apr/03/mlb-stadium-food-meat-cheese-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw
Only other American sport I follow is the NFL and I follow the Bills (aye, ok, heard them all before) in that and Buffalo obviously doesn't have an MLB team. The only cities I can see in MLB that don't have an NFL team are the Brewers and (very recently) the Cardinals but neither of them immediately appeal. My thinking was to pick one team in the AL and one team in the NL and see who I fall towards more and I've gone for the Orioles on the grounds that I picked them at random when Channel 5 started showing MLB 20 years ago before I lost interest very quickly, and the Mets on the grounds that when folk ask me to pick an NFL team for them I say pick one you'd want to actually go on holiday and see if you were going to America, and Citi Field (and some of that grub in the link) looks great.

Go for the Mets. They seem to be the Pie and Bovril team.

Lesser team without Bartolo Colon though.

11 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Get on the bandwagon early and watch the San Diego Padres, 2020 World Series Champs.

One can dream...

Can't wait for our home opener on Friday. Gonna be a miserable year in terms of results, but always love the unique energy of a home opener and it'll be exciting to watch some really promising young talent this year... With the necessary support of fish tacos and beer, of course.

Edit: That link ignoring Petco Park's insane selection of food and craft beer is a sin. Also, it's located right in the heart of the downtown district so there is so much available within an easy walking distance.

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Jays are your obvious choice, less than two hours from Buffalo, The Buffalo Bisons are Jays minor league team, a lot of people in Toronto root for the Bills. Though every time I've been to Buffalo most people seem to be sporting Y*nkees caps

Yeah, don't want to break the thread off into a discussion of that game but the presentation is incredible and the dynamic difficulty setting is good so it doesn't ever get too easy or hard (for me anyway). Only criticism would be the repetitiveness of the songs in the in game menus ("I'm a classic man").

I've only really ever played it in career mode, got one going as a pitcher and one as a position player. The off field side of the franchise mode seems way too complex for a newbie like me and by playing as one guy you can zip through games pretty swiftly.

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Watching in the UK, the best team to follow is the Cubs. Mainly for practical reasons - the Cubs play more day/afternoon games than anybody else, so more Cubs games are going on in normal UK evening time than any other team. Just makes following them a lot easier and involve a lot less late nights.

Of course, the Cubs are successful now so jumping on will seem like the worst kind of gloryhunting :P

Archived